Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is it ok to switch an ONT and router off at night?  (Read 2470 times)

heavyrain

Is it ok to switch an ONT and router off at night?
« on: July 28, 2023, 04:06:41 PM »

I know you should never switch a modem off at night if on ADSL/FTTC due to sync reasons but what about if you have FTTP and an ONT? Especially if you have one of those elaborate routers connected to it. A saving of maybe £35 a year between the ONT and router?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Is it ok to switch an ONT and router off at night?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 04:10:19 PM »

It shouldn't cause any problems but its not really recommended.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 07:06:03 PM »

A significant proportion of the issues with electronic devices are induced from thermal cycling and electrical stresses from start up and shut down of devices; ignoring the complex factors around products that are now basically computers, with file systems etc in flash.  So while it should be OK,  and won't cause your network connection to reduce in speed, as there is no dynamic line management like with analogue lines and VDSL; you will likely be exposing yourself to more chances of a dead box one day when you come to turn it on.  If the inconvenience of having to get them swapped isn't an issue, then go for it.

The ONT has to be replaced by Openreach, I'm not sure what there turnaround is like; while a router could be got off the shelf in a pinch from many retailers.  A halfway house if you were trying to keep your kit working / easily repairable might be to leave the ONT on (which is probably much lower power) and turn off just the router.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 07:08:53 PM »

Also some devices, such as Youview boxes, power themselves up in the early hours to check for and download updates so that won't work if you've turned off the ONT and/or router.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2023, 07:57:02 PM »

No major issues, as other have said you'd likely miss some firmware updates that are pushed overnight, you might find they're pushed as soon as you power up in the morning causing you downtime (depending on provider)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2023, 08:28:20 PM »

No major issues, as other have said you'd likely miss some firmware updates that are pushed overnight, you might find they're pushed as soon as you power up in the morning causing you downtime (depending on provider)

Can attest, ONT firmware is often pushed out very late at night.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 11:04:56 PM »

Same issue as game consoles in standby mode or off.  For me, I see it as having them be able to update at any time when I'm not using them ultimately will save more money than them updating while fully powered on, with the TV and surround receiver running.

That said I have a NAS/Server running 24/7 anyway, plus the three network switches, CCTV monitors, LED lights (mum can't see so well so needs ambient light all the time to find the main light switches).  So our background power consumption is not exactly low.

I'd also have to turn off the TV, etc, which are even more prone to the PSUs going bad and can be very expensive to replace.  As mentioned above, the thermal stress wear is a bigger concern IMO as depending on the device it can be a far more expensive replacement than anything you saved in power.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything