Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTP drop wire/optics Telephone  (Read 4245 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP drop wire/optics Telephone
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2023, 08:13:29 PM »

Thanks Tiffy good helpfull information Dect phone is now using the old DSL data socket & cable that goes from router PC room up to roof space and down to the MK4 then to dect phone hardly any effort at my end.

Any idea what is to happen with our old BT 1976 defunct copper dropwire is openreach going to remove it ?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2023, 09:16:31 PM »

Any idea what is to happen with our old BT 1976 defunct copper dropwire is openreach going to remove it ?
I would think not, all of the aerial fed fibre installations I have seen here have been installed by OR sub-contractor, KN Circet and removing the old copper feeds doesn't seem to be part of their remit as far as I can tell.

My particular local area was all UG, DIG armoured cable POTS installation, the new fibre was just run across the garden at a very shallow depth in some black flexible plastic trunking about the diameter of a garden hose pipe, under the garden wall from the footway chamber, shudder to think what will happen if any major front lawn re-working is ever required, no way the fibre would ever survive!
However, that seems to be the current method of fibre UG installation in this area, have observed quite a few.

My sister-in-law had an aerial FTTP install a few months ago, she has not had a LL for years but the copper feed remained at the front of the house, the new fibre feed happens to be at the rear.
Due to some road works the POTS DP pole at the front of the house was recently re-located, the old, long reduntant copper line was re-instated on the new pole, still no LL (digital or otherwise) at the house.
Bit of a break down of communication between OR and their sub-contractors perhaps?
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2023, 09:54:36 PM »

Tiffy as more and more go for FTTP drop wires here it's looking more like a spiders web when you look up, I see no reason for those with FTTP Opical cable would have a need for old copper drop wire unless they went back to VDSL though FTTP seems cheaper and POTS voice calls is being removed 2025

Edit Just a small note Fibrus arrived in this small village last week roads dug up for ducts and new manhole made in my cul-de-sac sorry but openreach beat you to it by 6 months.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 11:04:53 PM by NewtronStar »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2023, 03:05:54 AM »

Depends on the engineer.  Mine was removed due to miscommunication (it was still live for POTS) as it was easier to pull the fibre over the multiple gardens using it.  But like you said, I ultimately preferred to have it removed anyway as the plan was to move to VoIP once everything was working and have less paths into the house for lightening.

As a general rule though they shouldn't remove the copper and unless its causing problems (pole loading perhaps?) its not worth the cost to send people out to deal with it after the fact.

Not sure how its all going to work as Openreach don't like going near customer premises unless they really have to.  When snow loosened the fibre from my end, they just tightened it at the pole, even though it then left no slack my end.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2023, 12:49:14 PM »

Edit Just a small note Fibrus arrived in this small village last week roads dug up for ducts and new manhole made in my cul-de-sac sorry but openreach beat you to it by 6 months.

Yes, Fibrus seem to be targeting smaller towns in NI, my brother signed up with them in Portrush, got a very good deal.
Have only seen 1 Fibrus cabinet recently appear in my area (NW), it's in an area fully covered by OR FTTP and Virgin Media who have just completed upgrading their infrastructure to full fibre also, bound to be lots of competition, perhaps not a bad thing in the longer term! 
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2023, 07:59:32 PM »

That does not sound good Alex I know we should all hale openreach for FTTP but its not aesthetically pleasing to see so many wires and also high voltage electrical cable here a drone operators nightmare when landing, I suppose it gives the birds more perching sites  ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2023, 09:24:15 PM »

I don't like the idea of two cables rubbing on each other, though the main feeder pole likely has that issue so I guess the insulation must be rated for it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]