Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP drop wire/optics Telephone  (Read 4242 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
FTTP drop wire/optics Telephone
« on: June 23, 2023, 07:40:34 PM »

Have ordered Full fibre which will be installed early july understand copper drop wire will be replaced with optical cable and then to the ont in hallway with master socket the router is in a different room using the data extension from master but telephone is in livingroom.

So how do I connect the telephone to FTTP

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP drop wire/optics Telephone
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 07:57:23 PM »

If you are with BT, you will be moved to Digital Voice (VoIP) and will receive either 2 basic or 1 advanced cordless  handsets. The BT hub is a DECT base station.
The BT hub also has a built in ATA presented as a standard phone socket at the rear of the hub in which you can plug an analogue phone.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 07:58:35 PM »

The ONT doesn't have to be in the same place as the current master socket. Have them run the drop cable to the living room, where people are most likely to be, and the phone will go into a phone socket on the router assuming you're using an ISP that offers a phone service: you didn't mention an ISP.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 08:55:30 PM »

ISP is with Vodafone so Dect BT4600 base station needs to be connected close to the router vodafones smart hub which is not ideal

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 09:34:19 PM »

Was thinking as the old data extension socket to router (DSL) will become the WAN from the ONT to router there are still 3 pairs left unused so could enginner use a spare pair from data socket to living room so there would be two sockets in the PC room one for WAN and Telephone/Voip

Its sounds strange but there has to a way around this

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 10:18:27 PM »

ONT to router needs to be at least CAT5e using 2 pairs if you only need 100Mbit or 4 pairs if you need faster.  Though given you said 3 pairs spare, I assume it already is?  But you'd still need them all if your service is faster than 100Mbit.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 10:55:50 PM »

Thanks Alex re: the pairs didnt know that, this FTTP install is going to be like the first FTTC install all thoses years ago wet behind the ears until I came here to learn but now its just became need to know when you need it as I cant take it all in at in at once old brain issue.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 11:52:18 AM »

Just a word of caution regarding where you request/opt for the ONT to be situated.
The saga of my sisters FTTC/FTTP migration outlined here:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26339.msg441623.html#msg441623
I believe you are NI resident, she is resident in Ballyclare.
The majority of OR's FTTP installs Aerial or UG still seem to be carried out by sub-contractors, usually KN Circet in NI.

If you plan to rely on Wi-Fi connections to your domestic devices then the router location is obviously important.
If you plan/have the capability to run an ethernet cable between the ONT and the router then won't be a problem to situate the router at the optimal location for Wi-Fi.
If you manage to get the ONT situated within a short ethernet, jumper cable distance from the router situated at the optimal Wi-Fi location again no problem.

My FTTP installation was UG by OR's sub-contractors, I managed to control the process by pre-installing a duct, pre drilling a hole and fitting an ONT enclosure, for reference the saga is here:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26792.msg449417.html#msg449417

Good luck with the migration :fingers:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 11:56:46 AM by tiffy »
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 12:17:24 PM »

Was thinking as the old data extension socket to router (DSL) will become the WAN from the ONT to router there are still 3 pairs left unused so could enginner use a spare pair from data socket to living room so there would be two sockets in the PC room one for WAN and Telephone/Voip

Its sounds strange but there has to a way around this

That would be a really bad idea. DECT cordless for phones is the way to go, and using pairs from whatever Openreach installed to carry DSL with others for phone is at best risky and at worst just not going to work very well. I imagine it's Cat5e at best, 4 pairs, unshielded.

If you must have corded phone run another cable next to the existing one, a flat cable might be less intrusive. Keep data and phone on separate cables. Gigabit Ethernet needs all 4 pairs of the cable and will not coexist with phone signals on the same cable.

Think you'll have to bite the bullet on this one as you'll be adding that extra cable or switching to cordless one way or the other in the near future even if not straight away.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 11:08:55 PM »

FTTP installed today and not what I expected they never used the pre Installed CATe I installed years ago as they don't do RJ45 crimps so had two options Modem and ONT in living room or Modem and ONT in the administrator room went for later as its Just like the old days Router and HG612 in the sane place.

As for telephone we have now two drop wires one optical and copper so no change to telephone again not what I expected but all is working and clean Job good cable management  :)

More Info Optical came into living room then routed via walls and holes drilled in walls and door boards all by KN networks and 3 hours later cherry picker came and lifted optical cable to CBT
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 11:22:13 PM by NewtronStar »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 11:11:18 PM »

As for telephone we have now two drop wires one optical and copper so no change to telephone again not what I expected but all is working and clean Job good cable management  :)

Yeah I only lost my copper line due to some confusion with the engineer which I didn't bother to correct as I wanted it gone anyway as one less ingress for lightening.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 11:26:38 PM »

Yeah I only lost my copper line due to some confusion with the engineer which I didn't bother to correct as I wanted it gone anyway as one less ingress for lightening.

I did want it removed but must be a Vodafone thing are they not going Voice digital though the modem now displays voi phone1

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2023, 08:59:01 PM »

So two drop wires one Optic and Copper Internet and phone I guess that makes the NTE5C MK4 redundant as all its doing is old copper pots stuff and no need for filtering phone and broadband was wondering what you guys do?

1 remove NTE5C MK4
2 Install a Basic NTE5a

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 10:38:40 PM »

Feel very stupid since full fibre was installed 5 weeks ago no disconnects phone Dect has that dial tone so all is good but just found out no calls coming in or out because I did not plug the phone into router

So useing orginal pair on the data extension socket cable blue and white then removed orange and white wire from BT master (Incoming old VDSL and Pots) then made a new connection using those cams for phone Blue and White on the MK4 faceplate and DECT VOIP is working fine in another room

What got me is there was a still a dial tone on phone (POTS) after the full fibre install so I thought just I did not need to plug phone into router  :blush:

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 02:53:47 PM »

What got me is there was a still a dial tone on phone (POTS) after the full fibre install so I thought just I did not need to plug phone into router  :blush:
After going FTTP with BT and retaining my LL number, now on digital service, by old POTS copper line still had a dial tone for well over 3 months, was also allocated a (different) number on the local exchange, as advised by the line checker (17070), not surprisingly, could not make or receive any calls from this service.
Only became aware of this as an old analogue phone was still connected in a bed room, kept there just to see if/when the copper line would eventually go dead.

You may know already, if it's not convenient to plug your DECT base station directly into your router you can get a Wi-Fi extender:
https://store.ee.co.uk/products/bt-digital-voice-adapter-100121-GN1T.html?src=15
At the time of my FTTP installation with BT, March 22 the adapter could be free on application dependant on the choice of digital phone handset package requested.
I appreciate you ISP is Vodafone so may not be directly applicable to your router.     
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub
Pages: [1] 2