Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FTTP 'drip loop' - Is it a must?  (Read 4100 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP 'drip loop' - Is it a must?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2023, 12:15:59 AM »

I'm not sure its worth the hassle either, but that excuse is pure BS.
I agree that their reason is a weak. I did not mention the provider here (though, those who read my posts will probably guess), but they have tied their network to the existing Openreach infrastructure down the wall. However, I have considered having the existing Openreach network removed and had forgotten to mention this to them at the time of install because my install was delayed for a couple of months (not my fault for the delay). So it may be reasonable to make these changes and create an appropriate drip loop at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 12:20:08 AM by re0 »
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2023, 03:37:49 AM »

Given each company can only touch their own equipment (third parties can share Openreach ducts and poles but it must be not interfere with their existing infrastructure), that doesn't seem likely.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2023, 04:02:30 PM »

They can't touch the Openreach stuff, no. That'd be vandalism.

Should be a drip loop on every where the cable is at a higher level than the entry to the property: there is one on my Netomnia install even though it isn't aerial.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2023, 04:24:11 PM »

Thanks for all your contributions. I probably should have specified a bit more detail in my original post.

It is an Openreach PIA install, so it means they are using the existing infrastructure. I presume this means they can use the existing anchoring points installed by Openreach on the property exterior, too?

They have cable-tied the new fibre optic cable to the existing Openreach copper. Is this not OK, even with a PIA install?

It seems like the more responses I get, the more obvious is that they should have done a drip loop. It is a shame I noticed it after they left.

All these responses are appreciated as I am trying to establish if I have genuine reasons to ask them to make changes.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 04:27:28 PM by re0 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2023, 05:33:01 PM »

I presume this means they can use the existing anchoring points installed by Openreach on the property exterior, too?

My understanding of PIA is no, they aren't allowed to use the existing anchoring points. I might be wrong on that though.

AFAIK they are only allowed to use the ducts and poles, that's it. They can't use any of the existing pole furniture either.

They have cable-tied the new fibre optic cable to the existing Openreach copper. Is this not OK, even with a PIA install?

Nope. Not allowed to touch the existing drop cable at all.

Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2023, 12:24:07 AM »

Is it worth dragging Openreach into this if they do not fix the problem? I would rather try to convince them to fix this if they have not installed "by the book" rather than involving people outside of the company to give them a bollocking.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2023, 06:23:53 AM »

I doubt very much they give two hoots, given they were reluctant to tighten my drop cable when snow pulled it so low people in their gardens could have reached it.  Their policy seems to be if its safe (not causing a risk to the public highway), leave it alone.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2023, 07:32:17 PM »

Is it worth dragging Openreach into this if they do not fix the problem? I would rather try to convince them to fix this if they have not installed "by the book" rather than involving people outside of the company to give them a bollocking.

So essentially your contract is with your supplier so you should (if you wish) ask them to do the job properly. You could report to Openreach that a third party has breached the PIA agreement. They might well be keen to know. Presumably PIA stands for Pain In the A+++?
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2023, 07:38:02 PM »

So essentially your contract is with your supplier so you should (if you wish) ask them to do the job properly. You could report to Openreach that a third party has breached the PIA agreement. They might well be keen to know. Presumably PIA stands for Pain In the A+++?
Haha, I have referred to PIA being that before. :D Seems the best course of action would be to put pressure on them to do it properly, especially if PIA agreement has indeed been breached. One would presume that the supplier would not like Openreach being involved.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2023, 09:00:23 PM »

I think the provider believes that the install is satisfactory. Despite highlighting issues, they do not seem keen to come out and amend the drop.

I have emailed the Openreach CEO (I would have tried other contact methods but their website seems to lack appropriate options) regarding PIA and I have been put through to the Senior Manager for Passive Products. The install may breach Section 3.3 of the Overhead Engineering Guidance document as "CP Dropwire attachments must not be made to existing Openreach fixings (Brackets & Eyebolts) which already have a Dropwire attached."

The Senior Manager has said they would get the work assessed if I wanted to provide my information and photographs. Should it not conform to the policy, which it seems it likely doesn't, then the provider will have to come out and amend it. This may be the route to go if the provider does not believe there is a policy violation.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2023, 05:13:10 PM »

I have finally got some additional information from my current ISP.

Apparently the fact the cable shares the same fixing on the property exterior with the existing Openreach drop is fine and to spec. Though, they have admitted that a drip loop would be favourable.

It looks like they will be making arrangements to get someone to check it out. Whether or not they will change anything is yet to be seen.

I can check with Openreach in the meantime and provide photos for them to assess in the meantime.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 05:23:46 PM by re0 »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2023, 01:08:36 AM »

I just thought I would update this, even though it is a few weeks late. The CP came out and put their own fixing and added a drip loop. It is still cable tied to the existing Openreach drop, but Openreach themselves do not seem too bothered about that.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2023, 02:11:05 AM »

I guess as Openreach wont be removing old unused drops any time soon.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2023, 02:55:12 PM »

Well, it would certainly look a bit tidier if it was not tied to an existing drop. But as long as the connection works, is installed using best practices, and doesn't violate Openreach PIA, I'm fine with it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2023, 08:48:10 PM »

I'm sure it does violate PIA as it shouldn't interfere with any other providers equipment in any way.  But if OR don't care then who are we to argue?
Pages: 1 [2] 3