Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTC cab exists, however...  (Read 1903 times)

SherlockPhones

FTTC cab exists, however...
« on: June 12, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »

BT sales say no FTTC and an OR engineer who has been to the PCP says that "there's no fibre in that cab".

The OR checker says FTTC=YES, the BTw checker says FTTC available (and has done for years) along with giving VDSL speed estimates.

I'm not at the placing order stage yet, as I don't want to risk it and get stuck in a, no ADSL, no VDSL either, situation.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC cab exists, however...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 02:32:45 PM »

If the cabinet is full, then there's no way to have FTTC.

Have you checked https://bidb.uk for other options?

SherlockPhones

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 03:09:26 PM »

Aye I'm aware of the possibility of FTTC cabs being fully used, but those cabs have "waiting list" on the BTw checker.

The cab my line is connected to does not state that, instead it states "available" and always has done, but OR and BT seem to be unsure as to whether the cab has VDSL equipment in it at all.

Unfortunately, there are no other options for broadband at the location, at the current time.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 03:16:21 PM by SherlockPhones »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 03:25:37 PM »

which cabinet, mine can be found here:
https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1836066&postcodeloc=14267&cabinet=P28

Just throw in your postcode and it'll state which p cabinets are available.

SherlockPhones

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 04:04:56 PM »

Aye I know which cab it is etc, that's not the issue.  It's finding the correct information from BT or OR.

I wonder if anyone else knows of FTTC cabs that don't/didn't have any VDSL kit in them?  I'm wondering if that's even a possibility for an FTTC cab installed in 2015, or indeed any FTTC cab ever.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 04:25:44 PM by SherlockPhones »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 07:34:55 PM »

@SherlockPhones Not quite following you there, an FTTC cab contains the necessary equipment to provide FTTC services, that is VDSL2 broadband. I can see no explicable reason why an FTTC cabinet would have no equipment installed in it, it wouldn't serve any purpose.

From previous posts you don't appear to want to publicly reveal your exchange and cabinet number, which is entirely your decision but without that information forum members are just guessing what the issue could be. If the checker says FTTC is available why do OR and BT say there is no VDSL2 service from that cabinet?

Now here's an outrageous plan, how about placing an order for FTTC, if it fails it shouldn't affect your existing ADSL service and if it succeeds, job done. :)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 08:50:12 PM »

If you post the exchange and cabinet number then there are members here who can get more information for you. Without that information you aren't going to get much in way of answers.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

SherlockPhones

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 09:49:34 AM »

I've been around far too long to take the risk of ordering VDSL, only to get my ADSL shut off first and then BT/OR finding out there's a problem somewhere with supplying VDSL from FTTC.  These and many other forums are littered with customers who have had limbo land trouble for weeks, even months, with all kinds of utilities.

The only reason I'm looking at FTTC is because the optical cable would bypass 3km of HR infested e-side, not to mention the exchange ADSL kit etc.  However, I don't really see why I should pay more to circumvent their faulty infrastructure.  I'm hoping to be moved onto VDSL 18/2 FoC.  No more engineers called out again.  Would save OR time and money, not to mention my sanity.

I was only asking here if anyone has heard of an FTTC cab being installed and then left unused, without kit in it etc.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 09:56:40 AM »

I've been around far too long to take the risk of ordering VDSL, only to get my ADSL shut off first and then BT/OR finding out there's a problem somewhere with supplying VDSL from FTTC.  These and many other forums are littered with customers who have had limbo land trouble for weeks, even months, with all kinds of utilities.

I would order a second line, no risk option , if it works you have VDSL, if not you still have ADSL... Simples ;) Once up and running, cancel the ADSL line and transfer your number to the new line.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 10:36:38 AM »

If you're on an FTTP Priority exchange and they think FTTP is available to your then you can't buy FTTC.

As above, there's no such thing as an FTTC cabinet with no equipment inside.
You're connected to a PCP cabinet that contains no active/powered kit, only copper wires. They have no power supply.
When a cab is upgraded to FTTC they build a completely separate cabinet for the FTTC equipment, complete with power supply.
The engineer surely can't miss a whole cabinet.

Usually we would obtain the exchange and cabinet number and do a lookup on Google Street view to see if there's a physical FTTC cabinet. If you know the location of your cabinet you could take a walk round and check yourself. If you fancy that someone can explain how to find your cabinet.
There's also a couple members with access to data that isn't available to the public who can sometimes lookup info for you.

Database errors also exist. I've seen cabinets show FTTC where none is available, or the records may show you connected to the wrong cabinet.

As advised above you could order FTTC separate to your ADSL and then cancel the ADSL if/when the FTTC goes live.

You won't get moved to 18/2 FoC.
VDSL2 18/2 doesn't exist any more. It was only a trial speed tier and was withdrawn from sale although those already on it were allowed to remain.
I think they might have left 18/2 on the Chelsea exchange as the exchange was closed and moved in to another exchange, having a big impact on ADSL speeds.
It might be gone there as well though.
There are providers that will move you to 40/2 or 40/10 for the same price as ADSL though.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 11:05:37 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 11:09:34 AM »

@john According to the final sentence of this post in another thread where the exchange and cabinet details were given by PM  the OP does not have FTTC available. So the BT checker appears to be incorrect.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,27605.msg464726.html#msg464726

SherlockPhones

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 04:48:20 PM »

Thanks for the replies all.  Some useful info in there.  The exchange is not FTTP priority.  No FTTP available.

I do know where the PCP is, been past it often, for more than 27 years.  It wasn't numbered until 2 years ago though.  There is indeed an FTTC cab there nearby, but it's hiding behind a hedge!  All other PCP I've ever seen have the FTTC twin within visual sight from the PCP.  Rather odd really.  I'm aware of the PCP only having copper/no power and the FTTC cab being separate.  Maybe the PSTN engineer missed the hidden FTTC cab.  Not sure how the other engineers all missed it though.  Unless they didn't and they know it's short of gubbins.

Thanks for the VDSL 18/2 info.  It was disappointing to read though.  I'm not sure if BT would move my line to FTTC VDSL 40/x to bypass my line issues.  I already have an SH2 ready if they did.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 05:09:14 PM by SherlockPhones »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 06:23:22 PM »

@SherlockPhones  Nothing will happen to your line unless you order an FTTC service, you seem to be under the misconception that BT will upgrade you for nothing to give you better speeds. It's not going to happen.

There also seems to be some confusion about whether you are fed from a cabinet that has FTCC available, the post I previously linked to was from an Openreach engineer who posts on this forum and he said you don't have FTTC available.

However the checker says you can get FTTC but you say BT and Openreach say there's no FTTC supplied by your cab. None of this makes any sense. ???

SherlockPhones

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 08:40:19 PM »

I'm under no misconception at all.  I'm well aware that BT/OR will do absolutely nothing without my direct involvement, that much is completely clear from my dealings with them.  ::)

If you leased a car and found it wouldn't go above 30mph with your foot to the floor, conked out when it rained, then went even slower before conking out completely,  would you expect to pay more to "upgrade" just to get a car that worked properly?  Most people would be quite peeved.  (Alternative: I'm sorry your transatlantic flight dropped you in the middle of the ocean, you didn't pay for first class). It's a shame I can't give them the line back and buy a working one from somewhere else.  :)

Blacksheep confirmed what BT sales have said, along with the OR engineer who attended the PCP.  The checkers all state the opposite.  Fact is the FTTC cab is there, just hidden.  It has the "fibre is here" sticker on it.

Conclusion: Either the database is wrong, or the FTTC cab has some sort of problem or is empty.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2023, 08:47:14 PM »

Highly likely the database is wrong. Very doubtful that @blacsksheep would be Wong  :P
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.
Pages: [1] 2