Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: For anyone with Unifi AP's  (Read 2999 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
For anyone with Unifi AP's
« on: June 12, 2023, 09:29:24 AM »

Ran into a feature of theirs that has caused much head scratching this past week.

I run most of my essential network services on VM's, on ESX. Since this past week the entire box has been dying and I don't know why. Currently I am unable to get a screen hooked up to it (it's buried because of many reasons). But anyway, that aside, when trying to figure out what was going wrong, I was blaming switches, and everything else except the ESX server. The trouble is, it is very difficult to troubleshoot a network when you are blind to a lot of it.

Anyway, I've had issues before but this time ran into something different that totally stumped me. If I rebooted the ESX box - works anywhere between 10 minutes and several hours. I have my own suspicions about that but that's not relevant. The thing that *really* got me was all three of my SSID's mysteriously vanishing into thin air even with all 3 x AP's up and running. Reboot them and they come back for 5 minutes, then **poof** - gone again.

Eventually realised that these things do uplink monitoring and I can't turn it off because my Unifi controller is in a docker container.......... on my ESX box.

So, now I know, I can work around it, but what a pain in the ass feature I will be turning off ASAP.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: For anyone with Unifi AP's
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 11:00:22 AM »

I host mine on a debian vps and do not see this.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 09:53:08 PM »

Yet people wonder why I prefer bare metal.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 10:24:49 PM »

I only run the controller software very rarely to do updates, the rest of the time I just leave the WAP's alone.

The controller software annoys me, but it all works so well, I might one day install openwrt on them as it would eliminate the need for the Controller software but currently all good

Chunks

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 08:57:14 AM »

I only run the controller software very rarely to do updates, the rest of the time I just leave the WAP's alone.

The controller software annoys me, but it all works so well, I might one day install openwrt on them as it would eliminate the need for the Controller software but currently all good

Chunks

Oh now that is interesting - do you still get mesh and such?
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 11:43:42 AM »

Yes you still get mesh

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 03:08:58 PM »

Thanks @meritez !

I am afraid I am guilty of not doing much research on that  ::) , lol, I just assumed the controller software is mostly for collecting stats and pushing configuration changes or firmware updates.  For a while I ran it under docker on my NAS until I got fed up of looking after it (updates were a bit of a pain) so I just switched it off and no-one noticed or said anything so happy days! 

You can do the basics on the mobile app, when I want to do updates once in a blue moon I run controller software from my desktop. I only have 2 WAP's though, the controller software does work well and I like the remote 'roll-out' functions but its overkill for me.

TBH the WAP's are so reliable I forget about them for months at a time, they have been excellent, 2 cover the house and the whole garden.  I have AC PRO's, at some point I might invest or upgrade for wifi 6 as we have a few devices now but I never get any complaints - our net connect is the bottleneck anyway so it hardly seems worth it.

Chunks

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 04:29:45 PM »

Thanks @meritez !

I am afraid I am guilty of not doing much research on that  ::) , lol, I just assumed the controller software is mostly for collecting stats and pushing configuration changes or firmware updates.  For a while I ran it under docker on my NAS until I got fed up of looking after it (updates were a bit of a pain) so I just switched it off and no-one noticed or said anything so happy days! 

What really erked me is it being Java based it seemed to use an unreasonable amount of CPU and RAM, and you couldn't set 160Mhz channel width without it.  Then I replaced it with the Zyxel for WiFi 6 which actually works properly from the WebUI, though has its own annoying issue that it wont tell you the clients link rates over SNMP.

The only good thing about the Ubiquiti controller was the API allowing full access to all the stats and configuration.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors