Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SOGEA/Zen Problems  (Read 3078 times)

oua

Re: SOGEA/Zen Problems
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2023, 10:32:43 AM »

John is right about Draytek routers not resetting (after reboot) stats on the upstream.

Looking at your stats, your SNR is very high for the downstream. You can use CLI to bring the SNR down, but looking at your error count, it looks like there's an issue. (At 15dB, you shouldn't see any CRC errors on a standard line.)

https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4800

I never realised the upstream didn't reset. Thanks.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2023, 10:39:31 AM »

REIN, if there is that on your line, doesn't fall into the standard service by Openreach. As Black Sheep puts it on here: it's a gratis service, also implying that one should be very grateful to Openreach if they investigate it. Regardless, they're not obliged to investigate anything related to REIN, if it is indeed on your line, as you've not demonstrated that yet.

From my experience, and to be clear it's only mine, getting Openreach to fix things can sometimes be very difficult.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 01:14:15 PM by Edinburgh_lad »

oua

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2023, 10:58:54 AM »

REIN, if there is that on your line, doesn't fall into the standard service by Openreach. As Black sheet puts it on here: it's a gratis service, also implying that one should be very grateful to Openreach if they investigate it. They're not obliged to investigate anything related to REIN, if it is indeed on your line.

From my experience, and to be clear it's only mine, getting Openreach to fix things can sometimes be very difficult.

The property has very large grounds so any interference is likely being generated locally. I hear that using a analogue radio receiver could help hunt down the cause of the problem. I don't know how do-able this is in practical terms. It's not something I have done before.

I thought about setting a radio up - recording the output and seeing if there is any kind of increase in noise when the line drops.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2023, 11:24:44 AM »

Is there anything here that may make OR change their mind about the line being OK? We are being threatened with £200 call out charges if they don't find a problem.

A polite detailed email to clive.selley@openreach.com should hopefully see this escalated. There's clearly a big problem with the line that's obliterating the sync speed way below what your quoted estimates are likely to be.

I don't believe we ever got to the bottom of why Draytek modems show old upstream figures. Those are reported by the DSLAM. I believe my old theory last time it was discussed in detail was that the figures only reset when the DSLAM is rebooted, or something along those lines, but even that didn't seem to fit all the examples.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 11:28:49 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2023, 01:11:22 PM »

Also, as an ex Draytek user for nearly a couple of decades, I wanted to add that the quality has deteriorated. This is especially noticeable if you have a problematic line. Sometimes experimenting with different firmware versions can improve the connection, but I've learnt from my experience that modem firmware (as well as WiFi) isn't that great on Draytek anymore. Obviously, each line is different, though.(Some attribute this to the Broadcom/Lantiq thing, but from my studies and observations, that is inconclusive.)

oua

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2023, 08:58:45 PM »

Thanks guys. We've escalated the issue with our OR reseller, who we have a good relationship with. If nothing comes of that I will contact the chap mentioned above directly.

I'm always interested to try new things so I will look into what other routers are popular on this site. We've been installing Draytek for so long with so few problems that I haven't really got a bad word to say tbh. I've never looked too much into the WAN side of things before. This is the first time we've come up against something as head scratching as this.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2023, 09:46:15 PM »

Drayteks used to be very good, but it's enough to look at the Draytek forum to see that the company has lost its vision, with some reports of buggy firmware and problems with APs.

Support has deteriorated big time with response times being a couple of weeks, or even reports of support not getting in touch at all.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2023, 09:48:50 PM »

I don't believe we ever got to the bottom of why Draytek modems show old upstream figures. Those are reported by the DSLAM. I believe my old theory last time it was discussed in detail was that the figures only reset when the DSLAM is rebooted, or something along those lines, but even that didn't seem to fit all the examples.

Very interesting theory indeed. I think I've ever seen the old upstream figures reset *once* on my Draytek.

oua

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2023, 08:21:36 AM »

Drayteks used to be very good, but it's enough to look at the Draytek forum to see that the company has lost its vision, with some reports of buggy firmware and problems with APs.

Support has deteriorated big time with response times being a couple of weeks, or even reports of support not getting in touch at all.

Completely agree re support.

oua

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2023, 09:05:55 AM »

It's this - http://dslstats.me.uk/ - and allows you to monitor the line on a minute by minute basis. If it is a REIN issue it'll help capture the times when the errors are occurring which may assist with identifying the cause. You do however need compatible Broadcom based modems to be able to use it. There's a compatibility list on the DSLStats site although it's a bit old now. We like the Zyxel devices here as they seem to work pretty well with most lines.  :)

Is there any worth doing this via VPN or does it need to be local?

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2023, 12:20:23 PM »

Yes and no.

It depends on the situation.

I think it'd be wise to email CEO of Openreach *only if* you've exhausted all possibilities with your ISP. This could be, for example, if the ISP provides you with a deadlock letter saying that they've done whatever they could to have things fixed, but there are still problems.

Otherwise, you'll just receive an equally polite response from Openreach to engage with your ISP.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2023, 12:25:36 PM »

I have deleted my original post. Apology

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2023, 01:19:21 PM »

I have deleted my original post. Apology

Thank you. As have I..
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

oua

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2023, 05:08:17 PM »

Update on this for anyone interested:

Our reseller said they can see this

[OD508] A potential high resistance fault identified at or near to the end user premises. Access may be required to resolve the problem.

OR visit booked for Monday.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2023, 05:12:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3