Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: pfSense information added to the kitz wiki  (Read 3725 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
pfSense information added to the kitz wiki
« on: June 07, 2023, 06:10:12 PM »

Hi guys, I have added a section on the wiki with the link below, I have shared a lot of my patches, and hopefully you guys find them of some use.  There is also some information on the patch system within pfSense.

The link is here.

https://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=Pfsense
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 06:19:29 PM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: pfSense information added to the kitz wiki
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 11:29:43 PM »

Thanks Chrys.  Good job.  :thumbs:

Ive made a duplicate post in the site announcement section so that it is visible from the main site.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 11:47:20 AM »

Thank you.

I will post some more patches some time next week.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 11:49:23 AM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 12:28:35 PM »

Are the patches still useful on 2.7.0 as they seem to have made a lot of fixes?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 12:40:33 PM »

After I update to 2.7.0, if the patches no longer apply cleanly, I will make new one's.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 01:31:06 PM »

I will probably update to 2.7.0 second weekend from now, just before i do so I will submit the remaining patches I have (they bit more complex than the existing which is why I didnt upload initially), then after will add a 2.7.0 section.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 05:40:12 PM »

Looks like diagnostic Limiters patch needs "ipfw" changing to "dnctl".
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 12:21:43 AM »

Thanks Alex, as you said ipfw replaced with dnctl binary in the diagnostics layout patch.

I will update the wiki with that change and other changes probably tomorrow.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 07:49:30 AM »

The other UI pages have had a fair amount of tweaking so I couldn't eyeball them.

Though it begs the question why the Firewall Rules page doesn't just have a setting you can pick to choose the default rule set to land on, it really shouldn't take a patch to make such a simple change.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2023, 02:30:43 PM »

The other UI pages have had a fair amount of tweaking so I couldn't eyeball them.

Though it begs the question why the Firewall Rules page doesn't just have a setting you can pick to choose the default rule set to land on, it really shouldn't take a patch to make such a simple change.

I got not so good news on that.

Last night I redid all of the patches I use, I also added a nice new patch, but the default rule set for the firewall page, they removed the old code where they specified a default (which is what I had patched), the new code from what I can tell just simply assigns the lowest interface ID but i didnt understand how it was being done.  So that hasnt been changed yet, however just before going bed I think I found the code that can still change it by studying the patch that changed the behaviour, so if you still want it pushed to LAN, I will do a new patch for it.

All the rest of the patches on the wiki, either just still work, or only needed minor tinkering.

You wasnt wrong they fixed a lot as well, before IPv6 was a bit of a mess on the gateways on the dashboard, with the gateway often not there and it unable to do online/offline detection, I see they fixed 5 bugs related to that (mostly with local link gateways) and I now see my AAISP IPv6 L2TP gateway on the dash.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 07:37:04 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2023, 02:58:48 PM »

Ok page is updated, when I have made the new default to LAN patch on the firewall page, that link will start working.  The 2.6.0 patches are still accessible as well.

--

New LAN patch is there now.

If you want to edit this patch for another interface you need to use the internal interface name, WAN is wan, LAN is lan, however any added interfaces are usually optX where X is a number, typically starting from 1.  Easy way to find internal name is going to the interfaces assignments screen, and hover over the link to edit the interface and check the url, it will end with something like 'if=opt5' thats an easy way to find the internal name.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 03:34:17 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2023, 04:54:55 AM »

Darn it, how did I not see how obvious that change was? ;)