Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Odd FFTP downleads being used from Openreach CBTs?  (Read 3075 times)

bogof

• Reg Member
Odd FFTP downleads being used from Openreach CBTs?
« on: May 27, 2023, 10:20:12 AM »

A couple more wall-mounted FTTP installs have just gone live in the building in front of mine, and both have been installed with a downlead with what looks like half a weatherproofing grommet left on the cable mid-span (assuming this isn't some kind of a join?).  See photo.  Anyone know what it is?  In both cases the install is to an upper-floor flat and there is no external CSP.  Another ground floor installation which does have an external CSP doesn't have this grommet.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: Odd FFTP downleads being used from Openreach CBTs?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 12:00:21 PM »

I can see what looks like a cover for a splice extending towards the home. That's over the join between the drop cable and the cable going into the customer's home in lieu of a CSP.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 02:24:40 PM »

I can see what looks like a cover for a splice extending towards the home. That's over the join between the drop cable and the cable going into the customer's home in lieu of a CSP.
Everything I read was no splicing at heights though (this would have to be done a top a ladder).  So is this like another connector on the already connectorised cable?
I suppose I'd have expected a single cable from the CBT to an internal splice point on the other side of the wall.  But maybe not, perhaps they only go inside -> out (that's how mine was done if I recall).

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 08:42:06 PM »

No splice  :hmm:, that's a piece of insulating tape to stop the nut disappearing along the fibre cable.
It's the cable gland nut that's not screwed back on the plug that goes in the CBT.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 07:51:27 PM »

No splice  :hmm:, that's a piece of insulating tape to stop the nut disappearing along the fibre cable.
It's the cable gland nut that's not screwed back on the plug that goes in the CBT.
So are they supposed to screw the gland onto the CBT?  Round here I've literally never seen one of these grey glands screwed onto the CBT.
It's almost like they're using cable meant for something else and just leaving the glands in place.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 07:10:22 AM »

So are they supposed to screw the gland onto the CBT?  Round here I've literally never seen one of these grey glands screwed onto the CBT.
It's almost like they're using cable meant for something else and just leaving the glands in place.

That's what puzzled me, that CBT looks to be correct - so where is that gland supposed to be?  It looks the wrong way around to be for the other end, though I guess if its just to prevent it being lost I guess direction doesn't matter as they would correct it for the install?

But to me leaving a gland open to the weather seems rather counter productive to its purpose, as it could be wet during the install.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 12:41:18 PM »

And in fact I was wrong; there is also one of these left loose mid-span on the cable on an install with a wall mounted CSP.   
All in all a bit odd.

anything