Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC v 4G  (Read 2611 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC v 4G
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2023, 11:54:23 AM »

Credit ratings are such bunk.

I followed all the advice, actually completely paid off an old debt and after months finally managed to reach Fair, but then one large spend on my credit card dropped it to Needs Work, even though my income history showed I could pay that off in 2-3 months.

It depends who's advice you were following.
Making a large purchase on a credit card and paying it off over a few months will usually hurt your credit, if starting off with a low credit score.

I usually listen to Martin Lewis from MoneySavingExpert.com

To successfully built a credit rating from a clean slate or after bad credit you really need to pay any credit card off IN FULL at the end of every month.
You also need to keep below 25% usage of your entire credit. So if you only have 1 credit card with a £1k limit, keep it below £250 and pay it off IN FULL every month.

Changing broadband or mobile phone supplier too frequently can hurt your credit. Lenders like stability
Not being on the electoral roll can hurt your credit. Moving home too often can hurt your credit.
More than 1 new credit account/application in a 6 month period can hurt your credit.

Stick to those rules and for most people their credit score will gradually rise over time. Anything over 6 years old will disappear from your credit file completely even if the debt is still outstanding.
To confuse things the 3 big credit reference agencies all score differently. Something that increases your score with 1 agency might hurt it with another.

For whatever reason some people pay to monitor their credit score but you can check all 3 agencies for free via the following sites/apps....
clearscore (equifax)
credit karma (transunion)
Mse credit club (Experian)

Once you have a high score (especially if you have a mortgage) lenders are less concerned about paying credit cards off in full every month or using a higher % of your credit limits.

It's something I didn't care about at all when I was younger.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2023, 12:19:22 PM »

Yeah I'm only using Credit Karma as its mostly just to make sure nothing suspect shows up, not going to delay purchases just to make my credit score a bit better as its just not worth it to me.  Being disabled and unlikely to ever work, it not like I'm going to be applying for a mortgage or buy a car, EVER.  Stress makes my condition worse, so worrying about my credit score is the least of my concerns.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2023, 12:39:14 PM »

Credit ratings are the most EVIL one  :rant:

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2023, 02:54:36 PM »

Not evil. In most cases they stop vulnerable people getting into trouble.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2023, 04:30:34 PM »

Not evil. In most cases they stop vulnerable people getting into trouble.

They really don't in my experience.  I got into thousands of debt buying my first laptop during my first job, which I got let go after 3 months.

There's also some merit for "getting into trouble" is better than starving to death.

Most importantly, credit ratings cause vulnerable people to pay WAY more interest.  Its a catch 22 as they are considered more risk to lend to, but they MAKE them more of a risk by charging huge interest.

I never would have defaulted if it wasn't for the interest payments eating up 90% of the repayments and coming to a payment agreement being the only way to freeze the interest.

Yes it was my fault for being young and stupid, but they certainly didn't help the situation.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 04:33:48 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]