Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Find Openreach status of my line  (Read 2423 times)

gfkitz

• Just arrived
Find Openreach status of my line
« on: May 11, 2023, 11:04:30 PM »

I am trying to sign up broadband with Plusnet or BT

Orders have been automatically cancelled due to a pending cease on my line.

How can I check if the pending cease is now cleared, so that the line is ready for me to place an order again?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Find Openreach status of my line
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 11:51:07 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

It's question time . . .
  • Do you currently have a service provided on that line?
  • If yes to the above, who is your current service provider?
  • If you know, how was a cease status created on the line?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gfkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 09:53:26 AM »

Hi, and thanks for the welcome  :)

The current service provider is Vodafone, I had FTTC / SoGEA broadband.

The reason for the cancellation and how the cease was created.. (buckle up  ;D)
  • When I placed my Vodafone broadband order 40/10 was the only option available. I did my research and no other provider could offer me a faster service; in fact most providers say the best I could have is 9Mbps down and 1Mbps up
  • When the Openreach engineer arrived, I was told that 80/20 is available because the property is close to the BT cabinet
  • Days later after activation Openreach updated their database and 80/20 is now available to all providers as an option to order
  • I asked Vodafone to upgrade me from 40/10 to 80/20 but they can only do it at £42/month, even though it was £26/month on their website (and approx that price with other providers)
  • I asked Vodafone to cancel within the cooling off period (5 days since activation) and attempted to sign up with BT
  • BT requested that I instruct Vodafone place a "stop to the line", in other words cease, so I did just that
  • I am still waiting for Vodafone to cease the line, and so far Plusnet and BT order attempts have been automatically cancelled
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 09:56:06 AM by gfkitz »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 03:25:48 PM »

I am not sure if there is any way to speed up the process.  :-\

Probably, you will just need to keep trying to place an order with the supplier you prefer . . .

gfkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 04:45:11 PM »

Do you think placing orders could possible interfere with Vodafone ceasing the line?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 05:28:28 PM »

No, not at all. I am just surprised that the regulator allows the process to be so drawn out.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 08:03:03 AM »

Is this a cease of the entire line or just the broadband component?

Shouldn't the order for a new line be treated as its own entity?  If you have an existing defunct physical line or not should be irrelevant?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gfkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 11:58:00 PM »

Is this a cease of the entire line or just the broadband component?

The entire line I think, Vodafone used SoGEA. The phone service was delivered VoIP, not that I needed it.

Shouldn't the order for a new line be treated as its own entity?  If you have an existing defunct physical line or not should be irrelevant?

Yeah I believe it should be treated as its own entity. However, Plusnet claims that if a cease order is on the line, no other provider can place an order on the line until the pending cease is cleared. They even suggested that, I contact my old provider, Vodafone, to cancel the cease; which goes against what BT suggested I should do.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 02:25:39 AM »

Yeah its silly, as placing a new order for your address shouldn't really care if you have an existing line or not.  When my existing line had tags stuck on the database my ISP ordered a new line to get around that, although I have no idea what procedure they used for that.  I guess it might have been different as that line was still a voice line with LLU at the time so it was a new physical line fitted to overcome the issue.

I can kinda understand how Openreach would be thinking a cease means an easier install so wait on its completion, but its kinda dumb to not even be able to place an order.

Wouldn't an engineer need to go out anyway to check that ceased line is actually still physically connected before re-providing on it?  Or do they assume the notes on the line are accurate and only do that if its not working after the virtual reconnection?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 08:07:38 AM »

Do you think placing orders could possible interfere with Vodafone ceasing the line?

Depends how lazy the new provider is, if they are saving money by placing line takeover or restarting stopped lines instead of actually installing a new line this will take forever

gfkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 08:22:16 AM »

Depends how lazy the new provider is, if they are saving money by placing line takeover or restarting stopped lines instead of actually installing a new line this will take forever
BT did just that, they said to get around my problem they would help install a new line. But 3 days before activation date, they discovered an existing line they could use, attempted to place an order through that line, failed and cancelled the order!

By new line, do they really physically install a new line from the pole to the property, and a new master socket?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 05:43:42 PM »

By new line, do they really physically install a new line from the pole to the property, and a new master socket?

Depends, you might be able to convince an engineer to reuse the existing line up to the cabinet if you make it clear its already ceased.  But as a general rule yes the idea is its a physically different line.

The trick is trying to get past the "computer says no" so that an actual person makes the decision, rather than the constant failed orders.

gfkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 06:29:44 PM »

Thanks Alex, sounds like speaking from experience ;D. It seems outrageous to have to physically install a new line and a new master socket.

Unfortunately with Plusnet there are extra costs involved in a new line install. BT can however, do it for free - but with my experience with BT, they won't actually do it if they find a stopped line already at the property.

Today, Plusnet confirmed the line is stopped and said that only one order can happen at one time on the same line. They asked me to ask Vodafone to cancel whatever order Vodafone has on the line, in order for Plusnet to place a new order.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2023, 11:32:04 AM »

I am trying to sign up broadband with Plusnet or BT

Orders have been automatically cancelled due to a pending cease on my line.

How can I check if the pending cease is now cleared, so that the line is ready for me to place an order again?

The old btw checker used to say at the bottom there is pending order on your line or pending cease on your line which it due to be completed on ***date*** but not anymore as the new layout of btw checker will no longer show it!