Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is it still worth getting a HG612 3B?  (Read 2316 times)

albert

• Just arrived
Is it still worth getting a HG612 3B?
« on: April 27, 2023, 06:10:25 PM »

Hello,

Moved house recently and was previously on FWA and now have a VDSL line.

On Cuckoo who provide a Technicolor DWA0122 which to be fair, does not seem like the worst ISP supplied router and it's unlocked.

I would prefer to use my ER-X, I would have gone for a old openreach modem but some posts on here suggest that due to their age they may not be as reliable.

I'm on a Huawei Cab, about half a kilometre from it. My install needed an engineer who moved and upgraded the master socket, so the line should be pretty good. Wholesale checker suggests max 60 on clean.

Should I go for the Huawei, stick with my technicolor in bridge mode or is there an alternative best VDSL modem. Thanks

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Is it still worth getting a HG612 3B?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 07:54:17 PM »

I can't seem to find whose chipset the Technicolor uses but I'd certainly give it a go before spending on something else. As you say, the Openreach ones are getting pretty old now.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 11:17:03 PM »

Never been a fan of Technicolor myself.  Its not that they sync badly (in fact they often seem quite good), but the WebUI always seemed poor and no bridge mode that I'm aware of.

The HG612 should be fine, the only issue is there is a chance of a bad PSU or capacitors in the HG612 itself, given its age and if the previous user kept it in a well ventilated location or not.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 08:26:21 AM »

...  Its not that they sync badly (in fact they often seem quite good), but the WebUI always seemed poor ...

Agree, the couple I've had in the past synced very nicely on my line but the UIs were pretty dire. I suppose that only really matters if you plan to be changing things regularly once initially set up.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 11:31:55 AM »

Never been a fan of Technicolor myself.  Its not that they sync badly (in fact they often seem quite good), but the WebUI always seemed poor and no bridge mode that I'm aware of.

Certainly the DGA0122 can be bridged:-

https://support.aa.net.uk/DGA0122_Bridge_Mode
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

albert

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 02:14:51 PM »

Thanks - the technicolor is syncing fine but while it does support bridge mode has no access to the UI, think I prefer the stats available for the HG612 so will go for one on eBay and hope for the best.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 03:52:00 PM »

Agree, the couple I've had in the past synced very nicely on my line but the UIs were pretty dire. I suppose that only really matters if you plan to be changing things regularly once initially set up.

The one Zen originally sent me was pretty much the fastest performance I got on my line, not necessarily sync (I don't remember) but loading websites felt faster.  But of course I wanted more options on my router, VPNs and policy routing are so very useful - especially region blocking my port forwards so I don't get my server logs filled with hack attempts.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 07:20:04 PM »

Thanks - the technicolor is syncing fine but while it does support bridge mode has no access to the UI, think I prefer the stats available for the HG612 so will go for one on eBay and hope for the best.

I have an unlocked HG612 that you can have for a small fee.  Top surface is a bit scratched but works perfectly well.  Wasn't quite as good as a ZyXel VMG1312-B10A on my line (and I have two of those available in perfect condition if you are interested.)  Both good for use with DSLStats.