Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: IPv6 Only, drawbacks and work arounds?  (Read 12405 times)

tonygibbs16

Re: IPv6 Only, drawbacks and work arounds?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2023, 03:09:25 PM »

Hi all,

As others have said, the IPv6 Internet is not supported by all companies and websites.

as a snapshot, Google and YouTube have IPv6 addresses already, but Amazon.com doesn't, see below.

nslookup youtube.com
Server:  zyxelwifi.com
Address:  192.168.123.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    youtube.com
Addresses:  2a00:1450:4009:820::200e

C:\Users\mwt784>nslookup amazon.com

Name:    amazon.com
Addresses:  54.239.28.85

C:\Users\mwt784>nslookup google.com

Name:    google.com
Addresses:  2a00:1450:4009:81f::200e

Cheers,
    Tony

tonygibbs16

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 04:01:03 PM »

Hi all,

In 2014/15 when I did my CCNA, IPv6 was being pushed (e.g. by Cisco) but was not being used.

Now, there are now IPv6 regional councils such as https://www.ipv6.org.uk/ in existence, and IPv6 is definitely taking off.

There are some good videos on the IPv6 Council UK from meetings such as their Annual Meeting in November 2022, see https://www.youtube.com/@ukipv6council468

The presentation from RIPE NCC about allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 over time is quite interesting, see
https://youtu.be/sTTKdV_3gfA

Cheers,
    Tony
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 04:17:11 PM by tonygibbs16 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2023, 07:11:33 PM »

The main issues seem to be consistency across vendors, occasional bugs in router software, that type of stuff.

There has been disagreements as well on how things should be implemented such as radvd vs DHCP6 NAT66 and so forth.

As a result there is a lack of universal practices which I think over time isnt helping matters, one that frustrated me recently is the "happy eyeball" mechanism added to Chrome (and anything based on chrome, which is a fair amount of software including steam).

Interestingly the actual RFC isnt as new as I thought it was.

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6555

Happy eyeballs has been used for a while in DNS, but once it was added for general session steering is what made me consider it going too far.  Its currently not configurable and is unlikely to be in Chrome.

After the Chrome changed I was forced with reality of having to either filter out AAAA responses on my DNS server, or disabling IPV6 completely  or blocking IPV6 via local firewall on my windows desktops for any software using the Chrome engine.  I did the latter.

Firefox didnt adopt the practice so still behaves in a sane way honouring the OS routing prefix order.

Weaver, control panels like directadmin do already have a hold your hand approach for IPv6 although it does require server administrators to enable IPv6 on the server and assign a prefix to it. I think because it gives no SEO bonus, many wont care, as soon as google made https give points, many flocked to enable https on their web sites.  There is also that dual stack adds another way for a site to break, so has an element of risk to it. :(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:13:21 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2023, 10:03:47 PM »

Thinking about this a little more, I feel given the situation.  It may have been better to limit the changes on IPv6 to minimal as possible in order to make it easy as possible for vendors, industry and consumers to migrate.

So that would be DHCP6 not RADVD as it has more in common with existing DHCP4.
Adopting a NAT protocol on all vendor equipment, so people who choose to can run a NAT network as easily as possible.
Standardisation across industry.
No random IP system.
Similar processing of packets and firewall handling, ICMP types e.g.
IPv4 preference in OS instead of IPv6 preference by default meaning a network bodge is less likely to cause issues, meaning rolling out JPv6 is considerable less risky.

We cant go back in time, but I have read a fair few reports that there was insistence to change things radically because it was felt it was done wrong in IPv4.  But then you create the problem of people having to learn things again which they dont like.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2023, 03:24:31 AM »

What makes it worse is like the Xbox situation, where DHCPv6 is based on a UUID not MAC address and some devices will create this on OS installation and stick with it, so assigning a fixed IP is no harder than IPv4.  Then there's the Xbox that regenerates it every time you reboot making a fixed IP outright impossible.

I totally agree that having Unique Local addresses random is rather confusing, it basically means you end up using the Global address anyway as its the only way to know exactly what client refers to what IP.

It seems like in the quest for user privacy its creating a huge headache in accountability for the network administrator, or I'm completely missing something.  But it seems to me a system where any devices connected to the network can automatically communicate with other devices with no control from a central point is a really bad idea.  Then again, IPv4 is only superficially better in that you can define dynamic client IPs to have different rules, but a savvy user can manually change their IP to get around that.

Still in a home environment, just being able to say "any unknown device gets put into this limited access IP range" is better than nothing IMO and not really doable in IPV6 from what I can tell.

Now if you really want a headache, read up on mobile IPv6 roaming.  Although I do quite like the idea of my laptop effectively still being relayed back to my home router regardless of where I am physically connected, I'm not sure how the security of that works, plus that particular method relies on your home connection having plenty of upstream bandwidth as all traffic is relayed.  But at that point I feel as security is a consideration, a VPN still makes more sense.

Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tonygibbs16

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »

Hi all,

There is a fun video from 3 months ago at
https://youtu.be/e-oLBOL0rDE by a YouTuber who was making his home network IPv6 from the ground up.

and the video is how he spent a week using only IPv6 and nothing else, to see what broke and the work arounds.

It is quite informative about the challenges of moving to IPv6 only. It can be done, but not everything works or doesn't work first time.

Cheers,
     Tony

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2023, 05:14:37 PM »

Even for sites that DO support IPv6, I've had issues with their IPv6 servers lagging where the IPv4 do not.

I get the feeling those companies aren't deploying IPv6 across their entire CDN so its more susceptible to congestion and faults.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything