Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: problems with win11 install.....  (Read 4778 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
problems with win11 install.....
« on: April 14, 2023, 11:51:20 PM »

Hi

hoping some pc/os whizz can offer some support as I have ran out of ideas...
My pc runs windows 10 and has done for some time with absolutely no crashes or issues. I fancied trying out windows 11using a new SSD as I know from past experience you can sometimes run into problems with in place upgrades...

basic pc info
asus z590 - patched to latest bios and intel ME update applied.
i9 10th gen cpu
32GB ram
for this exercise 1 X  new1tb SSD

so I upgraded the bios and downloaded the Windows 11 ISO which was all ok.
No matter what I try the install completes but upon reboot I will get a bsod before windows 11 install/setup 1st boot continues. No error codes just random error messages such as "system_service_exception" or "kmode_exception_not_handled". The pc will then reboot and provide another stop message and continually loop with a different stop message for evermore.
If I then revert back to my win 10 SSD build all is well and no issues.

Carrying out a pc health check for windows 11 on my working win10 build reports no issues and passes all tests.

What else can I try as I just can't get it past the point where it crashes. Its almost as if even though all the hardware checks out for win11 something is clearly not compatible.  I do have to provide a driver at the start of the win11 install for the intel sata driver and I am using the one provided through the asus board support page which states its for windows 11 and the install files are written during the process so I am assuming thats ok

Very frustrating as windows 10 works on the same machine just fine..

thanks

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 12:11:41 AM by skyeci »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: problems with win11 install.....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 02:54:48 AM »

That's really odd, you shouldn't be needing to provide an Intel SATA driver.  It is set to AHCI in the BIOS, right?  Are you using EFI boot?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 02:56:52 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 07:46:55 AM »

Well I am using the hardware intel based raid storage controller as my drives are configured for mirroring. I am fairly sure if I switch it back I will lose the raid configuration and probably the data when it's switched back which isn't ideal. Without the driver the drives can't be seen by windows. This is how it works in my windows 10 setup perfectly well.

It has given me an idea though. I think I will back up all the data to external drives first then disable intel rst which will turn off raid and probably lose the mirror but then try windows 11 install again. If it completes with no issues and runs then maybe it's something to do with the asus intel driver if not then who knows.
Xmp profile for ram is already off so no overclocking of cpu or ram is enabled.uefi boot is on.

Data backups running so will give this a try...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 08:12:44 AM by skyeci »

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 09:59:24 AM »

I would take a screen shot of all the Bios settings (Press F12), Then set Bios to default, test install Windows 11 to new drive, disconnect all other disks!.
Have you mirrored Windows 10 Drive? or just the data disks?

You could mirror the drives in Windows 11, rather than on the Motherboard.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 11:20:19 AM »

So after backing up the data and disconnecting drives then using a new ssd and default bios settings and no raid still no joy with win 11. Ran the install, drive detected. Install ran through. Blue screen on 1st boot with same as before "system service exception"

Win 10 still works... all be it due to turning off my raid settings all the raid stuff is gone but not a problem as I have the back ups...

Any other ideas please

Just don't get it
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 11:28:59 AM by skyeci »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 11:53:46 AM »

Yeah that's really weird.  I've installed 11 on quite a few different configurations, as even on my Linux boxes I tend to install Windows first to do a benchmark run and compare to Linux - also confirms stability.  Never had any issues like that.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 01:48:16 PM »

Yeah that's really weird.  I've installed 11 on quite a few different configurations, as even on my Linux boxes I tend to install Windows first to do a benchmark run and compare to Linux - also confirms stability.  Never had any issues like that.

I just scratch built windows 10 (no raid etc) , applied updates, ran the health check tool which reported no issues and then the windows 11 assistant to apply the upgrade. Install ran through but no joy, on 1st reboot the same bsod- windows then removed the update.

unable to contact asus at present as the support contact us option isn't working as just loops round - maybe this setup just isn't windows 11 compatible as it claims.. I will try to contact asus at some point but for now its a full rebuild back to windows 10 using rst for raid. I have kept a small win 10 120GB SSD ready for any further trials at it but for now I don't see any other options as it just wont run it regardless.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 11:29:58 AM »

maybe this setup just isn't windows 11 compatible as it claims..

Unlikely, given I'm running 11 on an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 01:45:19 PM »

Do you have intel smart sound technology driver installed? it can cause BSOD, though it is an issue with W11 on 11th gen. Intel CPUs but it might be related to you, more on it here (the last one in Known issues table):

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22h2#2746msgdesc

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 07:37:59 PM »

Do you have intel smart sound technology driver installed? it can cause BSOD, though it is an issue with W11 on 11th gen. Intel CPUs but it might be related to you, more on it here (the last one in Known issues table):

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22h2#2746msgdesc

Hi . Thanks but this doesn't apply to me but I have made some progress today :). I stripped the board out of the case along with the psu etc. I can't really explain why it seems to be working at the moment but with just 1 x ssd (using raid driver), gpu I was able to install win11 from the iso on a blank ssd. It's not done this the umpteen times I tired it over the last few days which resulted in bsods... I only reseated the ram....

I suppose once all the updates get applied I should hook up the other drives and the raid volumes etc and usb items and see what happens as it crashed multiple times with everything connected.
I'm hoping it's sorted but a bit early yet to say so.... I will report back at some point.:fingers:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 09:44:50 PM »

. . . I should hook up the other drives and the raid volumes etc and usb items and see what happens as it crashed multiple times with everything connected.

That makes me wonder if the PSU is somewhat iffy.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 10:14:15 PM »

hope not  :'( corsair 850  :o

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 10:38:20 PM »

From your reaction I sense that the PSU was expensive to purchase and generally has a good pedigree.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 10:53:52 PM »

From your reaction I sense that the PSU was expensive to purchase and generally has a good pedigree.

Depends, if its an RM850x then they are considered top-tier, their lower models can be a bit more hit and miss.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 11:09:57 PM »

Holding on at the moment  ::).. 6 ssd drives back on and utilising the on board raid controller...have to put it all back in the case one night and connect other items and hope for the best....
Pages: [1] 2