Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I Think My OH FTTP Cable Is Too Slack - Can It Be Tensioned At Pole?  (Read 2528 times)

blue166

Hi All,

As the title reads I think my cable has always been too slack and blows around crazy in the windy conditions. Can this be tightened up at the pole. Don't think it can be done anymore property side hence asking pole side.

What do you think?

Many thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 04:27:07 PM by blue166 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: I Think My OH FTTP Cable Is Too Slack - Can It Be Tensioned At Poll?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 03:35:42 PM »

Hi All,

As the title reads I think my cable has always been too slack and blows around crazy in the windy conditions. Can this be tightened up at the poll. Don't think it can be done anymore property side hence asking poll side.

What do you think?

Many thanks in advance.

Any tensioning of flying wires has to be carried out at the pole (officially).

As an aside, the wires aren't meant to be bar-tight, there is supposed to be an element of slack in them for the very reason you state above (wind). I suppose it's what one classes as 'too slack'  :).

blue166

Re: I Think My OH FTTP Cable Is Too Slack - Can It Be Tensioned At Poll?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 04:24:40 PM »

Yeah that's true. I dunno how slack is too slack lol.

Maybe I will have a think and decide wheather I should mention it. Maybe if I see an Open reach engineer I will have a little word and point it out.

Thank you.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

blue166

Re: I Think My OH FTTP Cable Is Too Slack - Can It Be Tensioned At Pole?
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 09:12:42 AM »

I meant to also ask if there would be an outage while the re tensioning is taking place or would the connection be left in at the pole and the cable just pulled through, looped and cable tied while left live?

Many thanks in advance.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 11:02:04 AM »

There shouldn't be a break in service ..... unless the engineer found a supplementary issue, whilst at the top of the pole.  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 08:11:45 PM »

Any tensioning of flying wires has to be carried out at the pole (officially).

As an aside, the wires aren't meant to be bar-tight, there is supposed to be an element of slack in them for the very reason you state above (wind). I suppose it's what one classes as 'too slack'  :).

That explains what they said to me.  Its an odd decision given I could see mine had pulled away from the house side so tensioning from the pole would have resulted in no slack at the wall any more which surely is bad?

That said I can see why for most properties it makes sense. I'm an outlier in that they can easily go round the side of the house for access, even if we weren't home (we always are mind you).  Many properties wont have that luxury.

I still haven't remember to look to see what mine looks like now, I suspect like you said they will have tightening it from the pole.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

blue166

Hi all, just to bring this back up. My neighbour has just had a line fitted and it's so much more tighter than mine. Mine really sags. Very noticeable with another line in sight now.

I see mention that it would have to be tighter on the pole side? If that is official how on earth would they be able to do it? There would be quite the cable wrap around multiple times to tighten this slack up.

What's your thoughts?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

They did tighten mine after complaining, its left absolutely no slack at the house side now which is concerning.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

blue166

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 02:40:38 PM »

Has it left quite a wrap around at the pole side?

Also, did you go via ISP or Openreach themselves?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 02:46:09 PM by blue166 »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 05:26:07 PM »

You would need to raise any issues direct with your supplier
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

blue166

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2024, 06:41:13 PM »

You would need to raise any issues direct with your supplier
I have messaged the ISP and sent a photo. See what happens next. Looks like the will have to do a few loops at the pole and cable tie?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2024, 09:24:27 PM »

Has it left quite a wrap around at the pole side?

Also, did you go via ISP or Openreach themselves?

I contacted Openreach via the safety team, as I considered it too low where the neighbours could interfere with it.  They told me as long as its not too low over a road/pavement they consider it safe, but a few weeks later I found they had fixed it anyway.

No idea how they did it at the pole, I can only ever make out whats going on at the pole by using my camera zoom in exactly the right lighting conditions.

blue166

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2024, 10:14:33 AM »

I have now messaged OpenReach since the ISP told me to contact direct. They have looked once before and deemed it OK. But I am not convinced and can't help but think someone looked up at the pole and went "looks alright from here"

TBH If they dismiss it again I will leave it and if it falls down will then contact them again.

No biggies. But man it blows around like mad in the wind. I think too aggressively.  And it is getting more windy year on year from observations. More frequent storms etc...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 10:17:47 AM by blue166 »
Pages: [1] 2