Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

How often do you test your connection?

(1/6) > >>

XGS_Is_On:
Just curious. I know of people who on one extreme speed test hourly either manually or automated and review their BQM and speed tests / Sam Knows daily.

On the other there are those, like myself, who only look at telemetry or run tests when there's a problem even when they have all the data.

By telemetry I'm also talking xDSL and cable connection stats.

Presumably there are people in between. Which are you?

re0:
Typically for me, it's only when there's a problem. For example, if there's been an unexpected loss of service or if something feels slow, then I will delve into the stats, run speedtests, pingtests, and check BQM.

Since I have had issues with my connection playing up a bit during adverse weather, I am checking it when there is wind and rain to see if it's causing errors.

I sometimes may weekly or daily run a test just out of habit (and bordem) and may not even let it finish. I also may "test" the connection if I am changing settings locally or experimenting.

I voted "only when there's a problem" as that's typically the reason why I am reviewing the performance and stats. I think hourly and daily testing is unnecessary unless I am trying to pinpoint or provide diagnostics to the provider, so weekly and monthly is usually as frequent as it gets without reason.

g3uiss:
Only when a problem exists, although since FTTC to 1 x FTTP with 1 x4g it isn’t very often. I think there are two camps. Those that use their service for what then need and only when they can’t look at possible issues, and those that want maximum speeds at all times and need to know it.  :-\

tubaman:
Probably about once every couple of weeks to check that it all looks as it should.

XGS_Is_On:
I'm briefly musing over what the folks who obsessively test would make of my service. On the one hand it is ridiculously fast, on the other it does vary somewhat but still remains ridiculously fast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version