Computer Software > Windows 10

Windows 10 incorrect "No Internet Access"

(1/3) > >>

aesmith:
Hi,
My Windows 10 has started reporting "No Internet Access" which is clearly incorrect as I'm on that PC right now writing this post.  I had been just ignoring this as a stupid Microsoft message that doesn't actually mean anything or do any harm.

However I've just discovered that it breaks Google Drive, that sits there saying there's no Internet connection, and doesn't synch.

Does anyone know what actually causes Windows 10 to think there's no Internet, and what can be done to fix this?  I remember something similar on Vista if you had multiple network connections, and the solution there was to disable some Network Location (or similar) service.

For reference the PC connects by Ethernet direct to my main Mikrotik router.  I don't really have another way of

Thanks, Tony S

aesmith:
A few more quick checks, it's the same behaviour if I connect via a different Ethernet card in the PC (different MAC so gets different address by DHCP).  Also the same if I connect via power line rather than direct.  If I connect either of two VPNs then it says "Internet access" and Google Drive starts syncing.

meritez:
what are your Tik dns settings?

aesmith:
Thanks.  Yes it might be a Mikrotik configuration issue.  I tested by patching through to an Ethernet port on my DSL router, so completely bypassing anything Mikrotik, and that worked OK. Mikrotik does DNS for the internal LAN, dished out by DHCP and locally caching.

Snipping out internal info like my static entries for local devices, serial number etc, the configuration is ..

--- Quote --- > ip dns print
                      servers: 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
              dynamic-servers:
               use-doh-server:
              verify-doh-cert: no
        allow-remote-requests: yes
          max-udp-packet-size: 4096
         query-server-timeout: 2s
          query-total-timeout: 10s
       max-concurrent-queries: 100
  max-concurrent-tcp-sessions: 20
                   cache-size: 2048KiB
                cache-max-ttl: 1w
                   cache-used: 198KiB

> ip dns export
<snip>
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
/ip dns static
<snip>
--- End quote ---

Meanwhile I can do another test by connecting to the Mikrotik and setting DNS manually on the PC

aesmith:
That did not work.  Manually setting DNS on the Windows network configuration to 208.67.220.220, instead of via DHCP, the behaviour is unchanged.

Same with completely manually configuring IP settings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version