Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Alternate L2C Solution Required  (Read 2324 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Alternate L2C Solution Required
« on: April 10, 2023, 07:31:50 PM »

I recently interrogated the BT Broadband Availability Checker, by UPRN, for a relative. It showed WBC FTTP was available as a one stage installation process. (1000/220 Mbps DS/US).

Below the displayed table was the following line --

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed alternate L2C solution required.

All was clear up to and including the "OH Feed" but the "alternate L2C solution required" sub-phrase has got me puzzled.

So can anyone assist with a translation, please? (In reverse alphabetical order, b*cat looks in the general direction of XGS_Is_On, j0hn and Black Sheep in the hope that one of them might have the answer.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Alternate L2C Solution Required
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 07:32:44 PM »

EDIT: I was wrong :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 09:20:17 AM by dee.jay »
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 10:50:06 PM »

@burakkucat I've seen this from someone on the Plusnet forum who got the same text on the checker, it's not high tech but some problem with getting the fibre to the property. This is an extract from a post on the forum ....

"The fibre optic cable is coming in overhead, but the engineers cannot safely use the Tetra ladder system (where it's anchored into a wall to provide safety). Therefore another option needs to be devised."

"I am guessing due to my flat not having Line of Site to the pole, they need to route the new cable around the building a bit, and since the flat on ground floor at the back of building, has an area with "plastic" roofing and a built on extension with basic roofing, that it is not strong enough to support any weight of workers or equipment."

So nothing to do with the technicalities of FTTP or Layer2  etc. :)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 11:15:14 PM »

L2C = Lead to Cash. Usually refers to the drop between customer premises and CBT. Converting a lead from the order into cash from their paying their subs having been installed.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 11:22:31 PM »

Having a fair knowledge of the various TLAs (or, in this case, TCA (where C is character)) I initially considered and then dismissed a "Lead to Cash" interpretation. I cannot see why, if that really is the case, it should be displayed with the premises' FTTP status.

However RAM's observation of the contents of a post to the Plusnet forum is quite significant. The first two quoted sentences would exactly describe my relatives situation.

So, thank you all for your suggestions.  :)

(Virtual kitteh treats (unlicked) have been appropriately distributed.)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 11:37:09 AM »

If you fancy a course on it here you are:https://www.cable-training.co.uk/course/n22-fttp-lead-2-cash-part-1-1-day/
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 01:05:32 PM »

I recently interrogated the BT Broadband Availability Checker, by UPRN, for a relative. It showed WBC FTTP was available as a one stage installation process. (1000/220 Mbps DS/US).

Below the displayed table was the following line --

All was clear up to and including the "OH Feed" but the "alternate L2C solution required" sub-phrase has got me puzzled.

So can anyone assist with a translation, please? (In reverse alphabetical order, b*cat looks in the general direction of XGS_Is_On, j0hn and Black Sheep in the hope that one of them might have the answer.)

As mooted - L2C is a priority for the business, it generates the revenue required to carry on building the network at pace.
That is why the Step 1 scenario's are absolutely paramount with OR's workstacks, where FTTP is concerned .... with copious amounts of resource constantly thrown at it. A good indication of the take-up too on OR's network  ;) :) .

An example of your relations predicament could be that the serving DP telegraph pole (the original copper feed if you will), is in such a position whereby to put an overhead flying fTTP wire to their premises in the same manner, would breach height regulations ??
Or, the original copper wire might be 'bouncing' off another premises, or two, or three ..... ??
Or, there could be high-density tree cutting required, anything over 100mm has to go to a registered contractor ??.

I obviously wouldn't have a clue. But, as I mention above, the Step 1 process is in full swing and in a far, far, far better place than it was when FTTP orders started to flood in.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 08:21:47 AM »

@burakkucat  I was puzzled by Lead to Cash but it appears to be the Openreach term for the entire GEA_FTTP order process so it would be reasonable to assume the "alternate L2C solution required"  could apply to any part of the FTTP order where deviation from the standard procedure is needed.The examples we have seen relate to the drop from the CBT to the property but there could be many other possibilities.

I can imagine the term L2C being dreamt up by a bean counting accountant where it's all about the money. ;D

While looking for more information Google came up with a document with many references to L2C that may be of interest to you if you don't have it already. It is intended for CPs and is reasonably up to date.(Dated 2020) An informative read for anyone with an interest in Openreach FTTP procedures. :)

https://www.chatteris.biz/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/GEA_FTTP_FOD_product_description_v20.pdf

I had intended to send this reply several days ago but was disrupted by visiting grandchildren. :no:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 03:44:04 PM »

Thank you for your analysis and the link to the document. The latter is now downloaded, just awaiting the time to read it.  :)