Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Chinese smart bulb going crazy after internet went down  (Read 7067 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Chinese smart bulb going crazy after internet went down
« on: April 04, 2023, 07:38:39 AM »

I reported previously I felt the bulb behaved weird, was scanning LAN etc.

Well VM went down in the early hours, turning the light on, I think fair to say would cause an epileptic fit for someone with epilepsy, chaotic rapid blinking that randomly slows down, and reported offline in the app.

Will replace with a more expensive proper branded smart bulb, preferably one that doesnt require the internet.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Chinese smart bulb going crazy after internet went down
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 07:48:09 AM »

After about 10 minutes of leaving it, it stopped flashing, and then came online again on the app, so basically lose internet for long enough and the bulb goes crazy instead of just staying in its most recent state.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 08:59:48 AM »

I could never understand why some essentially put their lives at risk by buying unbranded electronics via AliExpress etc.: power banks, bulbs, chargers, you name it. Reputable manufacturers will have their products made to specifications, as, if something goes wrong, their credibility is at stake.

Your bulb thankfully only flashed, which was annoying, but you do read stories about power banks, cheap batteries exploding etc.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 09:01:49 AM »

Was from amazon, but of course that place is flooded with unknown chinese goods, now ordered a proper branded bulb.

Bulb is LUMIMAN and app is plus minus.  I assumed it is chinese branded as I know plus minus uses a server in china, but thats the brand of the bulb anyway.

I was going to write a review, but interestingly when clicking the product page in amazon, amazon informs me the url is not a valid part of their website.  I think its been delisted.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 09:24:00 AM by Chrysalis »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 10:27:26 AM »

Interesting, I only use Tuya or Tapo for bulbs as I do not trust any of the others.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 10:34:07 AM »

WiZ is another one: it's made by the same company taht makes Hue, i.e. Signify, a Philips brand under licence.

I agree with meritez.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 11:47:11 AM »

Interesting, I only use Tuya or Tapo for bulbs as I do not trust any of the others.

Since tapo is working well for me on smart plugs and camera, I have a tapo bulb coming by 7pm today, plus minus will be uninstalled right after. :)

I did record the bulb earlier, so might upload it later.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 02:34:44 PM »

Now you'll probably  be able to link all three - whenever your camera records motion, your bulb can flash red or something, and your smart plug can activate your washing machine or radio. This is just an example, as possibilities are endless, mind you  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 04:13:30 PM »

I could never understand why some essentially put their lives at risk by buying unbranded electronics via AliExpress etc.: power banks, bulbs, chargers, you name it. Reputable manufacturers will have their products made to specifications, as, if something goes wrong, their credibility is at stake.

Your bulb thankfully only flashed, which was annoying, but you do read stories about power banks, cheap batteries exploding etc.

I'm willing to buy say my router appliance off Aliexpress (and use my own PSU), as I think the odds of China having a backdoor in the BIOS is kinda slim, its a consumer device and their time is better spent backdooring big business and government hardware.

The idea of buying a laptop or any Lithium battery device from China is kinda scary though.  That said, most of the cheaper stuff on Amazon and eBay are exactly the same stuff on Aliexpress, so it can be tricky if a major brand doesn't make what you need.  I have a couple of rechargeable LED lights in the pantry that when I got them I was "oh please don't spontaneously combust".

As for house lighting, I've been seriously considering looking into commercial lighting as LIFX bulbs just don't seem to go bright enough for me.

Now you'll probably  be able to link all three - whenever your camera records motion, your bulb can flash red or something, and your smart plug can activate your washing machine or radio. This is just an example, as possibilities are endless, mind you  ;D

Is this some sneaky plot where when it detects the wife coming up the street it turns the washing machine on?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 04:30:49 PM »

Putting new bulb in now, but VM is down again, so I probably wont be able to set it up properly until later, as tapo does work through internet.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 12:28:03 AM »

OMG, does that mean you'll be sitting in the darkness until the internet is back up? Probably best to invest in smart bulbs that can operate as regular ones, too. WiZ and Hue do that.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 10:30:12 AM »

The new bulb arrived same day, with my health issues, I almost couldnt get it in, but one last attempt after a sit down, its installed.

Plus minus removed from phone, and new bulb working.

If my internet was down, the bulb does default to a normal basic full brightness white light.

I do have spare normal bulbs as well, so if needed I would have used one of those.

--

Old bulb went crazy again on second VM outage yesterday before I swapped.

anything