Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Three 5G Home Broadband annoyances - and workarounds  (Read 6634 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Three 5G Home Broadband annoyances - and workarounds
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2023, 11:27:34 PM »

Speeds aside, Vodafone uses CGNAT. This rules it out as being a viable option just due to the inherent nature of such a NAT. I think the only operator that doesn't use CGNAT is Three (on a specific APN).

Another curious thing is sometimes on Three one APN will have a bad day, but the other will be fine.  I ended up using CG-NAT for a long time as the 3internet APN kept having huge latency spikes.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2023, 01:54:48 PM »

1p mobile is a crazy cheap way to try out EE, no commitment, no checks, low price.

RichardB

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2023, 02:27:52 PM »

Re0 could use an AAISPs L2TP service to work wround CGNAT and gain IPV6.
£10 pm for 5TB.
https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/l2tp-service/

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2023, 02:18:08 AM »

Re0 could use an AAISPs L2TP service to work wround CGNAT and gain IPV6.
Thanks for the suggestion, but this is something I am already aware of and have considered. The problem is that it would add an additional layer of connectivity and increase the cost. At that point, it would be too close to the price of my current connection with all the drawbacks of it being wireless and slower during most hours.

On a slightly different note, I have placed an order for FTTP to be installed. However, it has been unsuccessful so far. Still, I need to cancel my 5G Home Broadband contract as I think I will need to keep G.fast until the FTTP issue has been resolved.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2023, 09:14:37 AM »

an ionos vps is £1.20 a month, no bandwidth limit, roughly 400 down and up speed, gives a single static uk ip address, and you can openvpn or wireguard to it from your mobile broadband router.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2023, 05:04:54 PM »

an ionos vps is £1.20 a month, no bandwidth limit, roughly 400 down and up speed, gives a single static uk ip address, and you can openvpn or wireguard to it from your mobile broadband router.

That's a little fiddly as you have still have to use NAT and port forwarding from the VPS, but its basically what I use to view US content as it seems more reliable than a US VPN - presumably as its not in the known-VPN blacklists.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2023, 07:13:58 PM »

Dont know how you found them.

Both my VPS's one in USA and one in the UK I am planning to cancel as having recently gone through my monthly finances I noticed they have been upping the prices a lot and am paying just over £20 a month combined for 2 VPS's I dont use anymore.

The UK VPS was originally so I could run my own remote DNS server in the UK, and also to provide a proxy for a friend to watch UK content.

The USA VPS was originally for me to view USA netflix content.

In both cases they now blocked by streaming services, even just using the DNS server will get me blocked on prime video (whilst still using my home IP to connect), I assume there has been a blanket ban of datacentre IP's as they have no business in accessing streaming services legitimately.

But then I see Alex's comment above where this apparently works with ionos. O_o

I also dont need the private DNS anymore, as I used to DNSCrypt into it, but now I have DoH on cloudflare is no need.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2023, 07:22:14 PM »

Works for websites, I haven't been able to access US Netflix for a long long time.  I used to use AirVPN for that, then Nord as it worked more consistently, then nothing seemed to work any more.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 08:38:52 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2023, 11:15:53 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is something I am already aware of and have considered. The problem is that it would add an additional layer of connectivity and increase the cost. At that point, it would be too close to the price of my current connection with all the drawbacks of it being wireless and slower during most hours.

On a slightly different note, I have placed an order for FTTP to be installed. However, it has been unsuccessful so far. Still, I need to cancel my 5G Home Broadband contract as I think I will need to keep G.fast until the FTTP issue has been resolved.

I been trying all different SIMs for my 5G Hub NR5103E

Three 5G in the loft - download 450-550 upload 7-16
Three 5G by the windows - download 220-250 upload 23-28
Three 4G everywhere in the house download 15-35 upload 12-30

1p 4G+ everywhere in the house download 125-160 upload 50-80 (there is no 5G available)

Lebara 4G+ everywhere in the house download 130-160 upload 50-70 (there is no 5G available)

Previous G.fast 160/30 download 145 upload 28 all times G.fast 330/50 download 240 upload 40 all times

Present SoGEA 80/20 download 74 upload 19 all times
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 11:18:25 AM by adslmax »

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2023, 06:19:04 PM »

5G and mobile in general is a real challenge here. Might have 3 full fibre networks available but 5G just about clings on and produces single digits. 30 seconds walk from the front door it's 3 figures. This is always going to be the issue with any radio-based service at high bandwidths: very dependent on topology and line of sight.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2023, 08:41:00 PM »

As expected Three seem to have put a new mast practically next door to me (though not sure its live yet), and Vodafone seem to have added theirs to the existing location not much further.  Its bizarre how well covered I am now.

I wanted to test with Voxi but their SIM activation seems to be broken.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2023, 10:21:53 PM »

Try Lebara as it working straight away from sim activated online

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2023, 11:15:09 AM »

Trying Lebara, getting 199/25 (barely faster than 4G) compared to 756/109 on Smarty.  Really ironic given Smarty is cheaper due to the social tariff.

Fortunately Lebara is half price for 3 months, so lets see if things improve.

What's even more funny is not sure the new closer Three tower is live yet as bidb still has some roadworks up for it.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2023, 01:28:31 PM »

Dont know how you found them.

Both my VPS's one in USA and one in the UK I am planning to cancel as having recently gone through my monthly finances I noticed they have been upping the prices a lot and am paying just over £20 a month combined for 2 VPS's I dont use anymore.

The UK VPS was originally so I could run my own remote DNS server in the UK, and also to provide a proxy for a friend to watch UK content.

The USA VPS was originally for me to view USA netflix content.

In both cases they now blocked by streaming services, even just using the DNS server will get me blocked on prime video (whilst still using my home IP to connect), I assume there has been a blanket ban of datacentre IP's as they have no business in accessing streaming services legitimately.

I also dont need the private DNS anymore, as I used to DNSCrypt into it, but now I have DoH on cloudflare is no need.

Lets see:
Two Racknerd VPS on 2 year one off costs of £45 do my adguard home dns: https://my.racknerd.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
One ionos vps for wireguard and openvpn cost £14.40 a year: https://www.ionos.co.uk/servers/vps
One Gullo hosting nat vps for $5 a year for fun: https://hosting.gullo.me/order/main/packages/nat-vps/?group_id=50

I'm not sure how you were paying £20 a month  :-\

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2023, 06:59:16 PM »

Out of interest, what's the driver for 5G home Internet?  Is it cost saving?  Reason for asking is that I've always thought of mobile networks as the solution where landline provision is poor, like ourselves where 4G gives us 20 odd meg, compared to less than four on ADSL.  But given the short-range and urban nature of 5G, are there areas where you receive 5G but there's no decent FTTC or FTTP coverage?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything