Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plusnet Mobile ceasing new acquisitions from April 2023  (Read 7425 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Plusnet Mobile ceasing new acquisitions from April 2023
« on: March 29, 2023, 09:04:59 AM »

From April, Plusnet Mobile is no more:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/03/broadband-isp-plusnet-stops-selling-own-brand-uk-mobile-plans.html

Existing Plusnet Mobile Customers will be contacted.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Plusnet Mobile ceasing new acquisitions from April 2023
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 11:21:59 AM »

I wonder what the take up rate was?  I've haven't heard a great number of people who say they use Plusnet for mobile. 

I looked at it a while ago and although it was cheaper than my existing provider there were a couple of features it didnt have... one of which was quite important to me.  When it comes to cheap and basic, there are a couple of providers who already seem to have this section of mobile market covered. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 02:06:56 PM »

I tried it once, compared to an EE contract sim, there were too many places I did not get service, left quickly when I realised EE were restricting the service Plusnet Mobile customers could receive.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 05:38:25 PM »

I tried it once, compared to an EE contract sim, there were too many places I did not get service, left quickly when I realised EE were restricting the service Plusnet Mobile customers could receive.

I've been using Plusnet for the last three years or so and have been reasonably happy with the service. I did manage to negotiate 30gbs out of them for a tenner, but that's now costing me nearly £1.50 extra now. The only downside is that Plusnet have never offered a 5G service, although that looks like it's down to EE rather than Plusnet, extrapolating from Meritez's post.

Look like I'll be having to shift providers now. At least I'll get a 5G service, somewhere...  ;)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 05:39:12 PM »

1pmobile, rwgmobile, to the moon, now mobile.

All EE MVNOs

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 07:04:42 PM »

This is a bummer.  I've been happy on Plusnet mobile since June 2017, although the price has crept steadily up from £5.00 to £6.00. I did wonder for a while whether they were buying business at the start and then trying to move up market, and that might have been the reason for the above inflation price rises.

gfkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 11:09:15 PM »

I'm also happy with plusnet mobile services, so it's a big shame to see them no longer take on new customers. Their customer service was amazing when they started off as lifemobile!

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 07:59:58 AM »

It does look like there are a few similarly priced options, so maybe they're not shutting down because it's making a loss. Just on a quick check it looks like Lebara might suit, or Talk mobile. I need something on EE or Vodafone.

Regarding missing functions I would be pretty sure that's down to the deal they negotiated with EE rather than an inherent limit on all EE MVNOs. I'm sure on Plusnet forums people were citing other EE MVNOs who supported SMS short codes and/WiFi Calling. BT for example.

gfkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 10:01:02 AM »

BT are also no longer taking on new mobile customers. Sim only orders are forwarded to EE.
The best value EE MVNO that I'm aware of are 1p mobile or RWG mobile, depending on your usage.

With RWG for example, you can get 2GB, 250mins/text for just £35 over 2 years - that's £1.50/month!
And you can add bundles such as 5GB, unlimited mins/text for £5/month.

gfkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 10:54:27 AM »

I just looked at "To The Moon". Their home page advertised that if you setup a debit account with them, and top up a minimum of £100. They will pay your mobile bill for free!
I thought wow, that is incredible, what is the catch? See for yourself.. check out the reviews!...  :-X :no:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/tothemoonmobile.com

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 11:20:33 AM »

@gfkitz

Agreed, it's an interesting proposition, but is a free mobile service worth your data.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2023, 04:51:16 PM »

I've decided to switch to 1pMobile on their 25GB for £12.50 tariff.

£1.06 more for 5GB less than my soon-to-be defunct Plusnet bundle, but I'll live with that...   ;)

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 04:13:02 PM »

Also, just so I know, will Plusnet close my mobile account once they get notification that my mobile number is moving across?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 04:40:24 PM »

I'd imagine like any other they will close the account AFTER the port is completed.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 12:40:39 PM »

Also, just so I know, will Plusnet close my mobile account once they get notification that my mobile number is moving across?

Yes and if you leave your Direct Debit open they may refund you part month as well.
Pages: [1] 2