Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you pay for 1p Mobile?  (Read 4711 times)

Woolwich

• Not in SE18
How do you pay for 1p Mobile?
« on: March 05, 2023, 09:28:55 AM »

Does 1p Mobile have a 'continuous payment' system? I like the look of their 10 Gig for £10 https://www.1pmobile.com/data-10GB-SIM.taf deal.

Currently I have Voxi where they just take a tenner a month on a SIM only month by month deal. Does 1p do the same or will I have to remember to login every month and 'top-up'?

Or point me at another EE network deal with 5G, wifi calling and tethering. Monthly Sim only. Don't seem to many around. Voxi are fine but failed me recently where there should have been 4G.

TIA

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: How do you pay for 1p Mobile?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 10:59:05 AM »

It looks like it will charge you automatically.
Have a look at GiffGaff as well (which I have used for a long time, just suits my usage pattern) where £10 a month buys you 20GB but there are lots of other price/capacity bands too. Personally I'm usually on the £6/2GB one as I'm mostly within range of WiFi I can use.
GiffGaff is O2 rather than EE and 5G works fine where it is available.

Woolwich

• Not in SE18
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 11:07:53 AM »

GiffGaff is O2 rather than EE and 5G works fine where it is available.

Yes but no VoLTE or WiFi calling (according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators. I need both as well as coverage in Tyndrum!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 12:33:02 PM »

I was about to post about this provider here later in the week and I posted the same question elsewhere.

I ended up sending them an online query with these two specific questions.

1 - Is the monthly sim payment taken automatic each month.
2 - If on a monthly sim is there still a requirement to do a £10 topup every 4 months.

No reply yet, but will update this thread when I get one.

They are seemingly on EE without any throttling.  Tethering support.

Woolwich

• Not in SE18
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 12:59:25 PM »

1 - Is the monthly sim payment taken automatic each month.

I think I've found the answer. Once you click through to order a £10 SIM https://www.1pmobile.com/order-your-SIM.taf?simtype=sb10 it says:

Your 10GB PAYG bundle costs just £10 a month and we will collect this automatically every 30 days, so you don't have to keep topping up.

As far as my research goes you get everything you would with EE, including WiFi Calling and VoLTE. Visual Voicemail would be the topping.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 01:05:43 PM »

Ok so just my second query then, hopefully they reply on Monday.

They even have no annual price rises as a feature, so seems almost too good to be true.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 01:58:14 PM »

Yes but no VoLTE or WiFi calling (according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators. I need both as well as coverage in Tyndrum!
Yup, pretty sure there's no WiFi calling so forget GiffGaff if you need that.
Not stayed in Tyndrum for a year or so but my phone did work there on my last visit; maybe not with 4G/5G though.
(Bypassed Tyndrum last year, went via Inveraray between Glasgow and Oban  :cool: )

Woolwich

• Not in SE18
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 02:03:44 PM »

(Bypassed Tyndrum last year, went via Inveraray between Glasgow and Oban  :cool: )
Yes, a better road with fewer tourists dealing with the Bonnie Banks. But you miss the Green Welly Stop. Best lorne sausage rolls in the morning and proper soup for lunch. https://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/restaurant

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 05:11:09 PM »

Does 1p Mobile have a 'continuous payment' system? I like the look of their 10 Gig for £10 https://www.1pmobile.com/data-10GB-SIM.taf deal.

Currently I have Voxi where they just take a tenner a month on a SIM only month by month deal. Does 1p do the same or will I have to remember to login every month and 'top-up'?

Or point me at another EE network deal with 5G, wifi calling and tethering. Monthly Sim only. Don't seem to many around. Voxi are fine but failed me recently where there should have been 4G.

TIA

Same as Voxi,

£10 a month means no need to topup at least £10 every 4 months.
5G, VoLTE and WiFi calling just work once enabled in the 1p mobile dashboard.
Pretty decent as a provider, I'm just using Lebara at present as they are 21gb, unlimited calls, texts, volte and wifi calling for https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lebara-21gb-data-unlimited-mintext-eu-roaming-100-international-min-ps318pm-for-3-months-ps12-tcb-possible-at-uswitchlebara-4081874 £3.18 for 3 months and then £7.95 a month

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 01:13:06 PM »

They didnt reply so I gave them a call, the automatic topup on the monthly sims fulfils the £10 every 120 days so that isnt needed.

I wish I asked them another question now, someone has said if you do a data boost, it requires a new sim and sure enough the data boost page has "order sim" button you click on. which seems illogical, so if you dont do a data boost if you go over your monthly data limit you paying extremely expensive 1p per MB costs, so I might ring them back for clarification on that one.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 01:40:21 PM by Chrysalis »

Woolwich

• Not in SE18
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 02:16:33 PM »

They didnt reply so I gave them a call, the automatic topup on the monthly sims fulfils the £10 every 120 days so that isnt needed.

I wish I asked them another question now, someone has said if you do a data boost, it requires a new sim and sure enough the data boost page has "order sim" button you click on. which seems illogical, so if you dont do a data boost if you go over your monthly data limit you paying extremely expensive 1p per MB costs, so I might ring them back for clarification on that one.

Maybe all becomes clear once you have an account set up. I'd expect either to be able to 'boost' or renew the 30 day deal early once all the data was used. My SIM is on its way. I'll let you know...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 03:18:12 PM »

Maybe all becomes clear once you have an account set up. I'd expect either to be able to 'boost' or renew the 30 day deal early once all the data was used. My SIM is on its way. I'll let you know...

Thank you, I will wait for that.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2023, 02:04:46 PM »

I'm in the process of switching from EE to 1pmobile (my "legacy" EE contract with inclusive EU roaming is just become too uncompetitive with each year's price increase, and doesn't include 5G).

My usage averages around 10GB a month so need to decide between the £10/10GB or £15/50GB options.  What worries me is that if I go beyond 10GB, I will automatically start paying 1p/MB (£10/GB) for any extra usage.

My understanding from their website is that the £10 "data boost" gives me 10GB of data which lasts for 30 days.  So if in some months I use the 10GB in less than 30 days it looks like I could just add the next data boost a few days early, but I don't think there is a way to add data boosts automatically, only to top-up automatically.

This is the info from the website about the data boosts:

Our Boosts last for (or refresh every) 30 days and can be purchased out of the credit you currently have on your phone. If you do not have enough credit on your phone to apply a Boost you will need to pay for the Boost in full at the time of purchase.

Boosts are valid whist you are in the UK or traveling within the EU/EEA (subject to the fair use data and roaming policies). Boosts cannot be used when traveling outside the UK and EU.

For your convenience you can add a one-off Boost, or you can add a recurring Boost. With a recurring Boost we will add the selected Boost to your SIM/account every 30 days. If you have insufficient credit, we will automatically top-up your phone from your stored payment details.

The Calls+Text Boost, and data Boosts that include unlimited calls and texts, includes all calls to 01, 02, 03 & 07 UK numbers. If all the data in a data Boost is consumed, simply add another, or pay our standard rate of 1p a MB for any excess data you use.

Excess data - If your 30-day data usage exceeds the size of the Boost(s) applied, any excess data will be charged at our standard rate of 1p/MB and deducted from your credit balance. Alternatively, you can buy an additional data Boost from our website. There is a cap of 14GB when using the data in the EU with roam-like-at-home. Any additional data used, over 14GB, will be charged at the standard rate of 1p a MB.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2023, 02:31:09 PM »

The way round that is to set your phone to either warn you or cut you off if approaching the limit, then you know when to buy the boost.

Android can do both.  But its not immediately obvious, have to go into wifi and internet settings, then data usage, then mobile data usage, then tap billing cycle, then you should finally see the settings you can adjust the monthly limits, also the billing date can be adjusted there.

I sent EE a query about them sending me proof my terms of sale showed clearly I would be liable for inflation busting annual rises (to try and get them to let me leave penalty free 7 weeks early), then 20 mins later retentions called me and beat the 1p mobile pricing whilst also exempting me from 2023 rises (12 month deal so will be in driving seat again in 2024), so for a year now I will be staying on EE, but I had full intention of moving and wasnt expecting them to give such a big discount.  1p mobile I think is a cracking deal assuming the boosts can be ordered without a sim swap.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 02:36:46 PM by Chrysalis »

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 08:27:59 AM »

My SIM arrived this afternoon, and I have been testing things and trying to understand how the top-up/boost system works.

I think I understand it now - these are two different things:

1) Auto top-up - this adds the specified amount of credit automatically when your balance falls below £2.

2) Recurring boosts - the data boost lasts for 30 days, and can be set to automatically renew every 30 days.  If there is insufficient credit, then a top-up is applied to cover the cost of the boost.

So in order to avoid out-of-allowance data charges, I think I just need to keep auto top-up disabled and my account credit at £0.

As for the service itself, I've been testing in a 5G-capable iPhone SE 2023.  My first disappointment was that my phone didn't receive an IPv6 address - which I was surprised by as I thought IPv6 was integral to EE's network.  The IPv4 address I was assigned was part of a range owned by BT.

5G seemed to work OK - a quick test with fast.com gave 220Mbits/s download.

I'm not sure what to do now though - I liked having IPv6 access, so may wait and see if EE retentions make me an offer.
Pages: [1] 2