Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: XF-1e microfilter  (Read 2021 times)

XF-1e microfilter
« on: March 05, 2023, 09:09:10 AM »

Is this XF-1E micro filter safe to use with FTTC connections? Is it better to use it than the face plates that have the built in filters?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 09:18:36 AM by 111888 »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: XF-1e microfilter
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 09:28:48 AM »

@111888  The low pass filter is for the telephone connection only, the broadband signal is a direct connection so the XF-1e will work perfectly well on ADSL and VDSL lines. No danger at all. :)

Edit: I see you edited your post, I don't think it will be any better or worse than a faceplate filter.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 09:31:28 AM by RealAleMadrid »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 10:44:54 AM »

The faceplate filters are fine.  In fact, changing the filter is usually going to make zero difference unless you have a very specific problem on the line, or the one you have is faulty.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 09:01:44 PM »

The sync rate is much higher on my line when using this filter, rather than that 5c monstrosity that also has a design fault.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 10:46:43 PM »

@Edinburgh_lad  I have seen similar claims by posters on forums that their sync speed is better with one filter or another but as there is no filter on the xDSL signal path it is hard to believe there is any truth in them. There could be many other unrelated reasons for the sync speed to be different.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 01:01:32 AM »

At least SOGEA can put this to rest.

What's the 5c design fault?  Worked fine on my line, I never saw a difference between various filters but then I have no extensions which is where a central filter can really help.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 01:12:45 AM »

@Edinburgh_lad  I have seen similar claims by posters on forums that their sync speed is better with one filter or another but as there is no filter on the xDSL signal path it is hard to believe there is any truth in them. There could be many other unrelated reasons for the sync speed to be different.

Seriously. You should order one from Tandy and try yourself.

Fewer errors/less noise, too.

If you do order, please report back on your observations.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 01:17:28 AM by Edinburgh_lad »

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 01:14:55 AM »

At least SOGEA can put this to rest.

What's the 5c design fault?  Worked fine on my line, I never saw a difference between various filters but then I have no extensions which is where a central filter can really help.

Every time I hoovered, the bloody thing came off. The choice was to stop hoovering nearby or to get a filter that connects to the test socket (ADSLNation) and so I chose the latter as I have an OCD about hoovering.

Obviously I could have been less vigorous with the hoover, but with an OCD, it's like to have to do the thing but not necessarily enjoying it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 01:19:47 AM by Edinburgh_lad »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 09:01:57 AM »

Seriously. You should order one from Tandy and try yourself.

Fewer errors/less noise, too.

If you do order, please report back on your observations.

Sounds like your 5c was defective if there is that much difference. Filter design will have some small effect as although it should in theory make no difference to the VDSL signal it must cause some loading on the line so will never be perfect.
I have an NTE5a Mk3 and would certainly recommend that as it screws together properly, unlike the 5c cost-cut version.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 01:41:43 PM »

The xf 1-e actually seemed to make my line less stable.

Reverted back to the built in filter. and seems fine now.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 06:11:29 PM »

By the same logic: is your XF-1e defective?

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 06:13:26 PM »

Sounds like your 5c was defective if there is that much difference. Filter design will have some small effect as although it should in theory make no difference to the VDSL signal it must cause some loading on the line so will never be perfect.
I have an NTE5a Mk3 and would certainly recommend that as it screws together properly, unlike the 5c cost-cut version.

If your line is stable enough, then why not test with the XF-1e to see if there's a difference. This would then either confirm or refute what is theory.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 07:37:51 PM »

If your line is stable enough, then why not test with the XF-1e to see if there's a difference. This would then either confirm or refute what is theory.

Unfortunately the XF-1e would be of no use for me as I have star wired extensions that need a central filter to isolate them.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2023, 03:53:47 AM »

Every time I hoovered, the bloody thing came off. The choice was to stop hoovering nearby or to get a filter that connects to the test socket (ADSLNation) and so I chose the latter as I have an OCD about hoovering.

Obviously I could have been less vigorous with the hoover, but with an OCD, it's like to have to do the thing but not necessarily enjoying it.

Fair enough, mine was the opposite and was such a tight fit it was awkward to then remove it again particularly as when I had a second line they put them snug next to each other so I had to remove both to get the 5c off.