Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 10 incorrect "No Internet Access"  (Read 6706 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Windows 10 incorrect "No Internet Access"
« on: April 13, 2023, 08:25:06 AM »

Hi,
My Windows 10 has started reporting "No Internet Access" which is clearly incorrect as I'm on that PC right now writing this post.  I had been just ignoring this as a stupid Microsoft message that doesn't actually mean anything or do any harm.

However I've just discovered that it breaks Google Drive, that sits there saying there's no Internet connection, and doesn't synch.

Does anyone know what actually causes Windows 10 to think there's no Internet, and what can be done to fix this?  I remember something similar on Vista if you had multiple network connections, and the solution there was to disable some Network Location (or similar) service.

For reference the PC connects by Ethernet direct to my main Mikrotik router.  I don't really have another way of

Thanks, Tony S

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 incorrect "No Internet Access"
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 08:45:48 AM »

A few more quick checks, it's the same behaviour if I connect via a different Ethernet card in the PC (different MAC so gets different address by DHCP).  Also the same if I connect via power line rather than direct.  If I connect either of two VPNs then it says "Internet access" and Google Drive starts syncing.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 09:37:08 AM »

what are your Tik dns settings?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 09:56:54 AM »

Thanks.  Yes it might be a Mikrotik configuration issue.  I tested by patching through to an Ethernet port on my DSL router, so completely bypassing anything Mikrotik, and that worked OK. Mikrotik does DNS for the internal LAN, dished out by DHCP and locally caching.

Snipping out internal info like my static entries for local devices, serial number etc, the configuration is ..
> ip dns print
                      servers: 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
              dynamic-servers:
               use-doh-server:
              verify-doh-cert: no
        allow-remote-requests: yes
          max-udp-packet-size: 4096
         query-server-timeout: 2s
          query-total-timeout: 10s
       max-concurrent-queries: 100
  max-concurrent-tcp-sessions: 20
                   cache-size: 2048KiB
                cache-max-ttl: 1w
                   cache-used: 198KiB

> ip dns export
<snip>
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
/ip dns static
<snip>

Meanwhile I can do another test by connecting to the Mikrotik and setting DNS manually on the PC

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 10:05:05 AM »

That did not work.  Manually setting DNS on the Windows network configuration to 208.67.220.220, instead of via DHCP, the behaviour is unchanged.

Same with completely manually configuring IP settings.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 01:04:39 PM »

is ipv6 enabled on the Windows 10 machine?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 01:17:01 PM »

Thanks, I did have IPv6 enabled on that NIC but removed it as part of my testing.

Meanwhile there's a lot of not particularly helpful information about this fault, mostly advising to set IP manually rather than using DHCP which in my case didn't help. However I did come across this from 2018 which is the nearest I've ever seen to an explanation of how their "test" works ..
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/archive/blogs/netgeeks/why-do-i-get-an-internet-explorer-or-edge-popup-open-when-i-get-connected-to-my-corpnet-or-a-public-network
As a summary, the NCSI, while detecting the internet connectivity, attempts to download a text file from either of the following addresses:

Windows 8.1 and earlier versions: https://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt
    Windows 10 and above: https://www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt

If I try to open that URL it comes up with a certificate error, if I tell the browser to go ahead anyway it displays ..
Our services aren't available right now

We're working to restore all services as soon as possible. Please check back soon.
0jfE3ZAAAAAAdqlasAZZVT7hlQFeMHbGATFRTRURHRTA5MTcARWRnZQ==
So it does download but whether that error message has any meaning is anyone's guess.

Next step, and always a last resort, I will try Windows updates.  It seems only five minutes since I did the big release update to 22H2.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 10:27:35 AM »

Fixed now, but annoyingly I am not sure exactly what fixed it. Running the Windows troubleshooter there was an option to clear all network settings from the PC.  It said this would delete any virtual adapters. It also rebooted the PC which meant that some updates got applied. So it's not clear which of these did the trick.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 08:38:38 PM »

Those links appear wrong, as later in the documentation it says its establishing a plain HTTP connection.  So I'd be tempted to spoof those domains on a box somewhere on the LAN and serve your own copy of the file, if indeed its not using HTTPS.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 11:55:41 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 10:51:47 PM »

What DNS does your DSL router use?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2023, 05:31:32 AM »

Open DNS, 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 01:41:01 PM »

I encountered this issue with W10 as you said I can use internet but it shows no internet connection, usually I disable/enable LAN adapter and it works again fine.