Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Exhanges question  (Read 4100 times)

cappa

Exhanges question
« on: February 27, 2023, 06:03:43 PM »

If I move from Sky to Vodaphone FTTP will I stay on the same exchange?

jaydub

• Reg Member
Re: Exhanges question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 06:26:07 PM »

It depends.  If you are on ADSL and moving to FTTP then it might change as your local phone exchange may not be your fibre exchange.  In my case, it isn't.

If you are on FTTC and moving to FTTP then I am pretty certain that you will remain on the same exchange.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 06:53:50 PM »

Is there a particular reason you are asking?  As its not like what exchange you are connected to really impacts anything, except of course ADSL.

Odds are everything is going via the same head-end exchanges anyway, its just moving to FTTP you may end up connected directly rather having to go via a more local exchange first.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cappa

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 07:16:25 PM »

Is there a particular reason you are asking?  As its not like what exchange you are connected to really impacts anything, except of course ADSL.

Odds are everything is going via the same head-end exchanges anyway, its just moving to FTTP you may end up connected directly rather having to go via a more local exchange first.

Ok thanks for answering guys. Seems it is straight forward. I'm on FTTP with sky and going with Vodaphone for a better deal since the price change has given me an opportunity to do so.

Currently paying £32 for 150mbps on sky FTTP which is rising to £35 here with price rise.

Vodaphone offering 500mbs for £30 with a gift card.

I wanted to know if the exchange would change as my connection is solid and very stable.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 08:07:48 PM »

If you are going from one Openreach FTTP provider to another, the fibre bit wont change, its how your connection is routed from the exchange onwards that will be different.   Like any ISP change really, it depends how the bit from the exchange to the ISP is handled and how good the ISP itself is.

However, Vodafone might be CityFibre if they are available in your area, which would mean installing a new fibre to your property and a completely different network.

If its CityFibre, your upload should be the same speed as your download, which I'd argue is better.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 08:11:35 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 12:07:16 AM »

If its CityFibre, your upload should be the same speed as your download, which I'd argue is better.

Although interestingly, the assured speeds are much lower with CF than with OR.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 12:24:14 AM »

Yes but Openreach assured asymmetric upload speeds are easier to promise if you're not pushing the connection speeds.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 12:41:11 AM »

Yes but Openreach assured asymmetric upload speeds are easier to promise if you're not pushing the connection speeds.

Do Openreach even have any guarantee for upload speed?  I know ISPs tend to only promote the download one, which is hilariously low.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 02:23:44 AM »

Openreach don't have an assured speed. They have a, prioritised one where in case of congestion they'll aim to give you at least your PIR but the product description does not mention a CIR on the FTTP products as there isn't one.

They prioritise 110 down to everyone on 160 or higher apart from the two business towers tiers that get 300. Worst case, as in the CityFibre case, everyone on a PON maxes out you are all going down to CityFibre's CIR.

Read Openreach SIN 506. It mentions a peak rate, the top speed, a prioritised rate a speed you receive priority up to. No CIR mentioned but it's the same as CF worst case. The CIR is simply the slowest a customer could possibly go if enough people were using heavily. It's maximum bandwidth divided by number of customers on a PON. Openreach this is 30 much of the time however 32 does happen: I'm on such a PON which is why the ONT cloning.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 09:28:10 AM »

It makes a lot of sense to have a minimum target, so that nobody gets left behind in an unlikely heavily congested scenario.  But it seems rather odd that its not based around a percentage of the line rate you are paying for, given a big reason for paying for a higher package would be because you need to ensure a minimum performance.

Even though there are no guarantees on residential services, it would seem only logical for it to track what people are paying for.

cappa

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 05:56:31 PM »

If you are going from one Openreach FTTP provider to another, the fibre bit wont change, its how your connection is routed from the exchange onwards that will be different.   Like any ISP change really, it depends how the bit from the exchange to the ISP is handled and how good the ISP itself is.

However, Vodafone might be CityFibre if they are available in your area, which would mean installing a new fibre to your property and a completely different network.

Only Openreach available in my area.

So I could be doing myself a mistake if I switch to Vodaphone.

I'm not going to get any guarantee's either. Though technically I shouldn't be experiencing any issues with FTTP?

Anyone know how I could find out what Vodaphone do when it comes to routing from the exchange?

cappa

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 06:02:08 PM »

Openreach don't have an assured speed. They have a, prioritised one where in case of congestion they'll aim to give you at least your PIR but the product description does not mention a CIR on the FTTP products as there isn't one.

They prioritise 110 down to everyone on 160 or higher apart from the two business towers tiers that get 300. Worst case, as in the CityFibre case, everyone on a PON maxes out you are all going down to CityFibre's CIR.

Read Openreach SIN 506. It mentions a peak rate, the top speed, a prioritised rate a speed you receive priority up to. No CIR mentioned but it's the same as CF worst case. The CIR is simply the slowest a customer could possibly go if enough people were using heavily. It's maximum bandwidth divided by number of customers on a PON. Openreach this is 30 much of the time however 32 does happen: I'm on such a PON which is why the ONT cloning.

What is the two business towers tiers? What do you mean by this?

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 09:59:13 PM »

Vodafone don’t build their own network AFAIK? So it’ll be riding on Openreach infrastructure
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

cappa

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 12:28:36 AM »

Vodafone don’t build their own network AFAIK? So it’ll be riding on Openreach infrastructure

They have their own backhaul though.

The only two "networks" are Openreach(BT) and Virgin Media.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 08:53:39 AM »

They have their own backhaul though.

The only two "networks" are Openreach(BT) and Virgin Media.

Sorry, that is incorrect - most altnets are building their own networks.

Ogi (I work here) are building their own, as is CityFibre, Netomnia, etc etc.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller
Pages: [1] 2