Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is this something to do with FTTP?  (Read 5673 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Is this something to do with FTTP?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 06:08:06 PM »

That's business. Perhaps if Openreach weren't obsessively overbuilding and trying to preempt altnets the moment they start planning areas and built elsewhere it wouldn't happen as often. :angel:

I know of at least two altnets that do exactly this. It's efficient use of capital.

It's damned right sneaky, is what it is. I'm not the only one who thinks the whole PIA 'thang' is ill-policed when it comes to Alt-Nets and what they get away with !!

Their (no names mentioned)  safety and quality is akin to a third-world country, mate. Business or not, it's full on sh1t-housery  ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 06:21:31 PM »

What else is new.  Whenever the government get it into their heads to mandate something to "level the playing field", its never policed properly.

From the outside its hard to have any sympathy with OR though, given they've had such a huge advantage for so long with their legacy infrastructure.  They would have been royally stuffed if Corbyn had gotten in and actually followed through on his promises.

I still personally strongly believe the infrastructure should have remained nationalised while the services on top of it be private.  It would have avoided the stupidity of building multiple fibre networks.  That said, I do like the idea of redundancy, but if they're taking the same physical path odds are a backhoe issue will take out all networks at the same time.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2023, 06:45:04 PM »

Can't tell you - so glad i'm in my last (insert months/years) of service.

Almost four decades of working with the incumbent and enjoyed most of it. Witnessed sooooooo many changes in that period it would make you hair curl, just like 4candles and liquorice before me, no doubt.

But in my life-time I've seen how capitalism has absolutely mullered, what was a once proud institution. You could eat your dinner off the Exchange floors, all cabling/wiring followed strict ISIS policies and were picture-perfect neat and tidy .... and a plethora of other stuff that made you feel you were in a bl00dy good place !!

I don't even recognise it these days, I certainly don't recognise the sh1t-holes that have become the Exchanges.

Yeah, I benefited personally quite well out of the privitisation, but looking back with older eyes and wisdom (and a comfortable level of wealth) .....it's quite sad to see how it's ended up. Would I swop the cash for the changes made - hell no - my family come first and privitisation has ensured they'll be doing OK when I pop-off this mortal coil ..................... but, there's always that chimp on my shoulder telling me what an absolute sh1t-fest we have today with what seems like a race to the bottom, not the top.

Ah well, it is what it is and rose-tinted glasses aren't ever gonna change things. I'll leave it with XGS Is On and his generations god-awful way of working  ;) ;D ;D ;D

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 09:33:18 PM »

Yes indeed. We don't know any better.  :)
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2023, 09:42:51 AM »

Yes indeed. We don't know any better.  :)

Damn you XGS, I went banter-fishing there and didn't get a bite.  :lol: :lol:

I shall go hungry tonight.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2023, 12:29:22 PM »

Don't go hungry, if you don't fancy eating anything off the exchange floor anymore, isn't there a restaurant at the top of the BT Tower  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2023, 03:17:49 PM »

Ha ha - there is. Only used for corporate events now, and recognition events.

Had the immense pleasure of being 'recognised' back in 2012 (Olympics Year) and me and the missus were treated to a 7-course meal, with an all inclusive bar in said restaurant.
They even did the rotating thing which was great, but a tad cloudy that day, so not didn't get as good a view as what you would do on a clear one.

The rotation thing plays havoc with your senses, especially after a bit of grog .... you go through a door into the central static column for the toilet, but upon your return you could end up anywhere in the restaurant as it has been turning round slowly.

Really enjoyed the day and got some great piccies too. Sorry for going OT there, for a minute.

rivageeza

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2023, 10:17:42 PM »

There has been a development, the BTW checker has now changed to show FFTP on demand 1000/220, rather than the 330Mbps yesterday.

I'm not getting my hopes up too much, the openreach engineer I spoke to last week said they were hoping to test the CBT's last week, but they had discovered a fault between my street and the exchange.

I've not seen them return since and now there are more works planned for next week at the end of my street according to BIDB.

rivageeza

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2023, 09:14:53 PM »

Well, 24 hours after FTTPoD went to 1000Mbps, FTTP became available to order. Got my order in, cannot wait.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2023, 05:28:30 PM »

Yah, that happened to me also; went 330 -> 1000 for FTTPoD and then very quickly after FFTP available to order.
Enjoy, there's no looking back once you have it, it's a different kettle of fish.

rivageeza

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2023, 08:43:50 PM »

I cannot wait! I chose June 20th as in installation date but still waiting for openreach to fully commit. Even when they do I'm told there's a real possibility it may not go ahead on the day.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2023, 02:59:04 PM »

Best of luck! :)
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

rivageeza

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2023, 09:02:41 PM »

So today apparently openreach have been whilst I was at work. Unfortuantely I wasn't in so they have installed the grey box on the wrong side of the bay window, I've highlighted this in green on the photo.

The existing entry point for the FTTC copper is the otherside of the window, highlighted in purple. This is the where my router and switch are located, hidden behind the TV.

When they return on a couple of weeks to do the work on the inside, will I have to have the ONT fitted the same side as the grey box, or will they be able to run some more cable externally to the side where my router and everything is and go in there?

I guess it's no big deal if I have to have the ONT on the wrong side, I'll just have to run an ethernet cable round the bay window to the other side, I'd just rather of had the ONT and router on the same side of the window.

rivageeza

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2023, 10:08:40 AM »

Quick update to wrap this up. Openreach came on June 20th to fit the ONT. They were able to install the ONT the otherside of the bay window thankfully.

Very happy with it so far, on the Gig package from A&A.

All in all I would say from the very first encounter with openreach on the street, to it being ready to order would of been 18 months.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything