Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I doubt you can get out of contract like this but worth asking  (Read 3961 times)

heavyrain

I doubt you can get out of contract like this but worth asking
« on: February 26, 2023, 08:42:05 PM »

BT customer on FTTC. FTTP now available to upgrade at "no extra cost" but they under no circumstances want to put me anywhere close to the £30.99 deal for 500 that new customers get. They will honor me getting 150 for £26.99 but I think we can all agree that £4 for an extra 350 is worthwhile.

I'm looking to get out of contract for this reason. With vodafone you can get 500 for ~£20 a month. I know this isn't super smart and they likely have this listed somewhere in the terms but what's to stop me recontracting to a new package (FTTP 500) then utilising the 14 day cooling off period to then cancel the conract and take up Vodafone?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: I doubt you can get out of contract like this but worth asking
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 10:14:44 PM »

An interesting take, check the t&c to see if it specifically states that the cooldown is only for new signups rather than migrations, I expect though if you was to cancel the migration they would revert the old contract.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 01:08:00 AM »

I honestly don't think its worth the stress to try and play the system given you could end up paying off your minimum contract terms with no connection if it all goes wrong.  Given they are offering "at no extra cost" they already are waiving the installation fee, sure its not as good as a new customer deal, but you're under contract so they have no motivation to do so.

As mentioned, I'd expect the cooling off period to just land you back on the previous contract.  I'm not sure the cooling off period applies to contract changes though, especially being a mid-contract change.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 08:43:03 AM »

I too would expect your cunning plan to fail and that you'd revert to your previous contract - ie they'd put you back in the position you were in if the new contract had never existed. I'd also ask if the free upgrade starts you on a new contract term as that's probably not what you want to do if you are looking to move ISPs.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 05:32:34 AM »

>> then utilising the 14 day cooling off period to then cancel the conract and take up Vodafone

The migration to Vodafone could fail.

Due to the timescale, you would be placing an order with Vodafone whilst you are on a FTTP product... so Vodafone would process what they believe will be a FTTP > FTTP migration.

However, you will be cancelling that BT FTTP... meaning there is no FTTP service for Vodafone to be able to process an automated migration request. 

I'm not entirely sure of the FTTP process and what is done when...  but with adsl and fttc there are certain times when Openreach locks the line warning other ISPs when certain orders have been placed.   

eg You place an upgrade from adsl to fttc with BT.  Until the upgrade is complete, no other ISP can take over the line. The other ISP will get a warning when they try and place the migration order that a service change is in process and the migration request gets rejected. Migrations and stop service trigger warnings that stop further automated orders from being placed.

If you cancelled the BT FTTP during cooldown, Im pretty certain that what in effect would be switching back to FTTC then it would stop any other automated requests/orders from being placed. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 10:00:36 AM »

what's to stop me recontracting to a new package (FTTP 500) then utilising the 14 day cooling off period to then cancel the conract and take up Vodafone?

Nothing stops you doing that.
It doesn't achieve what you think though.

If you activated the 14 day cooling off period then it cancels the new contract and reverts to the old contract.
BT would reactivate your FTTC or send you a bill for the remaining balance if you refused it.

BT's attempt to cease your FTTP would block any attempted FTTP migration to Vodafone.

The only way round this is having BT agree to end the contract or if you qualify, joining their social tariff, then migrate away.

BT's social tariff (requires certain state benefits) comes with no minimum term and existing users in contract can switch to it then leave any time after 14 days without penalty.
If you leave within 14 days it reverts to the old contract.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 10:08:28 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 01:16:44 PM »

If Vodafone install a new ONT to the property, nothing will get cancelled.

cappa

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 02:43:25 PM »

It's Openreach that install the ONT though?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 02:57:43 PM »

It's Openreach that install the ONT though?

Depends on what FTTP is in your area, Vodafone use CityFibre if they are in your area, Openreach if they are not.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 01:22:20 AM »

BT customer on FTTC. FTTP now available to upgrade at "no extra cost" but they under no circumstances want to put me anywhere close to the £30.99 deal for 500 that new customers get. They will honor me getting 150 for £26.99 but I think we can all agree that £4 for an extra 350 is worthwhile.

You are better off just taking the BT FTTP and upgrading to the faster service when you negotiate a new/retention contract when your current one finishes.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 10:37:53 AM »

If Vodafone install a new ONT to the property, nothing will get cancelled.

That wasn't the scenario described.

The OP wanted to upgrade the existing BT FTTC to FTTP.
After the upgrade was complete they wanted to use the 14 day cooling off period to migrate to Vodafone.
Vodafone wouldn't be arranging the ONT install.

No migration can be cancelled because of a fixed contract or existing debt with a previous provider anyway.
That goes back to the days of having to beg your provider for a MAC address to move away from them.

As for nothing being cancelled just because an ONT is installed.... It's somewhat irrelevant.
If you're upgraded to FTTP with the same provider you have 14 days from the order being placed to cancel that order and revert to the previous contract.
Though the likelihood of getting an appointment for an ONT installation within 14 days aren't very high.

BT could technically provide the previous contract over FTTP complicating the example given but not all providers have identical pricing for FTTC/P.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 10:45:22 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 12:28:05 AM »

That wasn't the scenario described.

The OP wanted to upgrade the existing BT FTTC to FTTP.
After the upgrade was complete they wanted to use the 14 day cooling off period to migrate to Vodafone.
Vodafone wouldn't be arranging the ONT install.

Actually the scenario is unclear, as Vodafone might be offering the service cheaper because its in a CityFibre area so it wouldn't be a migration at all in that case.  Though the point is moot given either way, they can't get out of their contract.

heavyrain

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2023, 10:00:48 PM »

Hello everyone

Update: I either got a really great BT support assistant or BT this month is being told to bend over backwards to keep customer retention high.

I contacted them and first wanted to just recontract so I wouldn't get the March 31st price increase. Not only do I not get the price increase but I also got £1 off my monthly bill without even really trying. I thought it would be too cheeky to ask for 150 for this price but I knew the personalised offer section would help me anyway. It now reads:

The support worker did say if you purchase online the price increase will happen though so I'm going to wait till like April 2nd and put the order through or maybe contact them again to see if they can beat the current price again or get me onto the 500 package for ~£30.

Full Fibre 150 isn't insane for £25.99 but it's decent enough that I'm semi competitive and it leaves some wiggle room to get higher tiers for cheaper.

anything