Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Accessing devices on LAN2 while connected through the VPN  (Read 3593 times)

hushcoden

• Reg Member
Accessing devices on LAN2 while connected through the VPN
« on: February 17, 2023, 09:04:29 PM »

I was wondering if someone has an idea on how I can access my devices on LAN2 from LAN while connected through the (Proton)VPN.

I believe it's a routing issue, but I'm not able to fix it. I use OPNsense and the two devices I want to access are connected to interface LAN2: LAN is on 192.168.0.1/24 while LAN2 is on 192.168.20.1/24. I believe I should create some rules, but so far all my attempts (on WAN and/or LAN/LAN2 interface) have failed: any networking expert who can help me out?

Tia.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 11:32:54 PM by hushcoden »

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Accessing devices on LAN2 while connected through the VPN
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 05:24:44 PM »

Your LAN2, or rather its default gateway needs to have a route to whatever address your VON user has as their source. It's often the case, a problem is seen as "I can't reach XX" but the actual issue is that XX doesn't know how to reply.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 09:39:29 PM »

I reckon when I run the VPN on my laptop, the communication is encrypted and OPNsense can't see I'm trying to reach out a device on a different subnet?

Just waffling  ::)  Unfortunately I'm not good at networking...  :graduate:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 12:27:42 AM »

Am I to understand its OPNsense connected to ProtonVPN?
Have you configured OPNsense to allow LAN1 & LAN2 to talk to each other WITHOUT ProtonVPN first?

You need Outbound NAT rules that allows LAN1 and LAN2 to talk to each other.
Basically:
Source LAN1, Interface LAN2, NAT address LAN2. (for LAN1 to access LAN2)
Source LAN2, Interface LAN1, NAT address LAN1. (if you need LAN2 to access LAN1)

Then the Rules to actually route clients from LAN1 over the LAN2 gateway when the destination IP is LAN2, vice versa if necessary.

You wont automatically see LAN2 clients from LAN1, you will have to access them by IP address as broadcasts will not pass between the two subnets.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 12:35:52 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 06:35:27 AM »

I reckon when I run the VPN on my laptop, the communication is encrypted and OPNsense can't see I'm trying to reach out a device on a different subnet?
Do you mean your laptop is on LAN, running the VPN software on the laptop? Is so then that sounds correct, anything your laptop sends will be encrypted and sent to the VPN. The products I work with call this a "full tunnel". Does the software allow exclusions, where you can tell it that traffic for LAN2 can go direct and bypass the VPN?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 08:40:01 AM »

Do you mean your laptop is on LAN, running the VPN software on the laptop? Is so then that sounds correct, anything your laptop sends will be encrypted and sent to the VPN. The products I work with call this a "full tunnel". Does the software allow exclusions, where you can tell it that traffic for LAN2 can go direct and bypass the VPN?

Agreed, if the VPN is on the PC then its normal for commercial VPN clients to force all traffic over the VPN to avoid security holes.  Although if its a standard Wireguard or OpenVPN client I don't think they block local LAN access.

This is one reason I have the VPN on the router, then policy route clients - that way the LAN is unaffected and the router has full control over what traffic goes where.  Router DNS rules can still apply and anything upstream goes to Cloudflare DNS over TLS.  I consider that safer and faster than doing DNS over a VPN provider anyway.

That does make things a bit more complicated if region unblocking, although I find DNS is not often used for this these days, its more down to what region the source IP appears to be coming from.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:44:09 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 11:40:27 AM »

Yes, the VPN is running on my laptop - okay then, so no way around, unless I run the VPN within OPNsense itself, thanks everybody.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 01:09:50 PM »

I was wondering if someone has an idea on how I can access my devices on LAN2 from LAN while connected through the (Proton)VPN.

I believe it's a routing issue, but I'm not able to fix it. I use OPNsense and the two devices I want to access are connected to interface LAN2: LAN is on 192.168.0.1/24 while LAN2 is on 192.168.20.1/24. I believe I should create some rules, but so far all my attempts (on WAN and/or LAN/LAN2 interface) have failed: any networking expert who can help me out?

Tia.

You put a route on the laptop itself with a better metric than the VPN pointing to that subnet. Nothing to do with OPNsense it never sees your attempt to reach that network so no rules there would help.

That's how you do it - a permanent route pointing to your regular LAN's default gateway so that the packets are sent to OPNsense not the VPN.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 02:54:47 PM »

That's how you do it - a permanent route pointing to your regular LAN's default gateway so that the packets are sent to OPNsense not the VPN.
Okay, so in Windows something like
Code: [Select]
route -p add destination_network MASK subnet_mask  gateway_ipand will I still be able to route my laptop traffic trough the VPN?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 03:43:36 PM by hushcoden »

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 03:53:21 PM »

Apart from that network absolutely. The route only selects that destination network, everything else should fall through to VPN.

May not work: the VPN may have a driver that preempts the machine's routing but that's how you'd do it assuming the VPN isn't playing other games under the Windows network stack.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 06:29:59 PM »

It seems to be working with my laptop connected through ProtonVPN by running the following command:
Code: [Select]
route add 192.168.20.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1
having my laptop on 192.168.0.7 and the raspi on 192.168.20.50

Should I be concerned of any possible security holes somewhere? Are there any checks I can/should perform?

P.S.
special thanks to XGS_Is_On
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 07:11:48 PM by hushcoden »

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 07:05:20 PM »

No security issues. It just bypasses the VPN for your local network which is frankly what should happen anyway.

They like to encapsulate everything to prevent DNS leakage however unless your DNS is in your local network you're fine. If you are hosting DNS in your local network as long as you're using DNS over HTTPS for your upstream DNS, the ones your local DNS server is consulting, you're cool.

Test with https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2023, 07:48:43 PM »

DNS test is fine, I get the Proton IP addresses  :)

On the raspi, I'm running AdGuardHome + Unbound: all clients DNS requests go to ADG -> Unbound -> root servers directly, it should be fine? Do I really need Dot or DoH?

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 10:04:29 AM »

Not really, no.

Thought DNS would work as expected: nice.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 11:02:47 AM »

Surely it depends what you are using a VPN for in the first place?

anything