Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: PPPoA credentials  (Read 6254 times)

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: PPPoA credentials
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2023, 10:44:04 AM »

@licqourice  OK You didn't actually specify that in your post so causing surprise to readers. ;D

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2023, 10:55:38 AM »

I did, but is way back in message 6. I probably should have worded my original post better and specified it in the context of ADSL.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2023, 03:54:01 PM »

Without changing any of the configuration, the HG612 was briefly connected to the incoming pair, which carried the ADSL2+ based TalkTalk service (LLU), and it failed to achieve synchronism with the exchange based MSAN. The status of the GUI menu Basic >> DSL Modulation type tick boxes was that just the last of the six, "ALL", was selected.

Adding some further information to the above, as a result of me thinking whilst inspecting the insides of my eye-lids. From that very first experiment with the initial, newly unlocked, HG612 --
  • The lack of synchronism that I noted was nothing more than me not allowing sufficient time for the MSAN and HG612 to work through all the xDSL options available.
  • The Basic >> ATM Connection menu showed a null entry.
  • The Basic >> PTM Connection menu showed the required information for a VDSL2 based service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2023, 06:48:03 PM »

@burakkucat  I think that evidence would support my statement that the HG612 will not support an ATM Wan connection without manual configuration.

@meritez Perhaps you are remembering BT/Plusnet modem/routers, some of which would switch between ADSL and VDSL2 automatically, the HG612 could not do this.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2023, 10:36:00 PM »

@burakkucat  I think that evidence would support my statement that the HG612 will not support an ATM Wan connection without manual configuration.

I agree.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2023, 11:33:39 AM »

@RealAleMadrid,

I've never used a BT/Plusnet router.
Maybe I've never used a locked hg612.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2023, 11:49:40 AM »

The HG612 definitely doesn't sync to ADSL when in default locked state.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2023, 02:04:25 PM »

Ah yes, I completely missed that it was locked.  Naturally as they were pre-configured for VDSL, they wont be able to handle ATM without being reconfigured.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2023, 03:12:06 PM »

@meritez So how have you dreamt up your incorrect ideas in posts #15 and #17?

Locked or unlocked the HG612 will not switch between PTM and ATM mode without manual re-configuration.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2023, 10:08:33 AM »

@meritez So how have you dreamt up your incorrect ideas in posts #15 and #17?

Locked or unlocked the HG612 will not switch between PTM and ATM mode without manual re-configuration.

With regards to post 17

Yes it was designed this way for a customer to be delivered an ADSL service that migrated to a FTTC service with no replacement of equipment on the migration day.

The HG612 was never provided on ADSL for anyone to upgrade to FTTC.

Both the Openreach FTTC modems were only ever provided by Openreach engineers during a managed VDSL2 install.
I don't think providers ever sent them out. (Edit: some did eventually, like AAISP, but only when self install launched later on and only for VDSL2 circuits).
When self install became a thing providers had to provide their own modem or hub.

They were only used on ADSL by anyone who purchased 1 and reconfigured it or downgraded from FTTC and reconfigured it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 10:35:14 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2023, 09:43:35 PM »

Heh, when the chap from OR came recently to commission my second AAISP circuit he mused about my modems and wondered where my router was. It's upstairs mate... He couldn't fathom why I didn't just have some all-in-one box as the HG612's are so old.

I think my first original one was indeed done with a managed OR install way back in 2012.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

tonygibbs16

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2023, 06:41:47 PM »

Hi all,

I haven't used an HG612, but I have some thoughts. I started broadband with a Zyxel Prestige 630-C1 ADSL device that had DSL on one-side and USB on the other, and it did PPPoA.

Looking at the Cisco figure attached from https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=363733&seqNum=2 and thinking about the OSI-Reference Model, I think that PPPoE and PPPoA are all layer 2 or layer 2.5 protocols and so more modem like than router like. Routing happens at OSI-RM layer 3 or IP layer in TCP/IP.

The Cisco figure shows how PPPoE could be on a PC, but nowadays we have more features all bundled in the CPE as a home router/gateway, which is doing all the modem & router functions in one box with Ethernet and WiFi on it too.

So much functionality has moved into a single box CPE now that it can get hard to separate functions out.

I got involved in some ETSI technical specifications in the past, and the committee agreed that it was much easier to make the end user devices talk AT & PPP on a serial line when they needed to do data communications (so the device behaved like a modem) than to try to invent a new protocol for bringing up the communications.  As PPP had so many supported implementations even in the late 1990s :)

Cheers,
    Tony
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 07:21:51 PM by tonygibbs16 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2023, 07:33:51 PM »

most services will connect using PPPoE or PPPoA, Sky ADSL is PPPoA only.

Yeah I remember that being discussed at the time when I switched to separate devices.  I think the theory was PPPoA is slightly more efficient as its tweaked specifically to ATM packet sizes?  Although I don't think I could ever measure a notable difference, likely as the benefit of using your own router greatly outweighed any efficiency difference.

At the time it was when bittorrent came out and consumer DSL routers just weren't up to handling so many concurrent connections.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 2 [3]