Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: PPPoA credentials  (Read 6253 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: PPPoA credentials
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 04:57:09 PM »

Yes, a hg612 running stock firmware is capable of syncing with either ADSL or VDSL and bridging PPP details from a router behind it to the ISP.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 05:00:48 PM »

Interesting, the plot thickens! Presumably the VPI/VCI parameters are fixed at 38/0 on the HG612

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2023, 05:39:39 PM »

Yes it was designed this way for a customer to be delivered an ADSL service that migrated to a FTTC service with no replacement of equipment on the migration day.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 05:47:56 PM »

Great, thanks for the info.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 05:52:14 PM »

Yes, I know that,  but that isn't the point behind my original question.

This post details it https://vessinity.wordpress.com/2019/05/11/configure-bt-echolife-huawai-hg612-as-adsl-modem-only-device/

Yup, I got my wires crossed, ironic given what you want is exactly what I used to do on the Netgear DG834 all those years ago.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 06:01:04 PM »

@licquorice - a quick question, in regard to your original quick question: Is you quick question answered?  :)

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2023, 06:09:34 PM »

I think so  :'(
Not such a quick question after all!!

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2023, 10:28:42 PM »

@meritez In my experience the HG612 modem could not automatically switch between ADSL and VDSL modes so I believe you are mistaken. I have used the modem on an ADSL line and it required to be unlocked to enable a manual configuration change from PTM Wan mode (VDSL) to ATM to enable it to connect to ADSL. The HG612 modem by default is configured for VDSL2 only and will not sync on an ADSL line.

Perhaps @burakkucat could offer an opinion on this, having worked on various HG612 configuration issues.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 09:25:25 AM by RealAleMadrid »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2023, 10:32:59 PM »

Good to hear from somebody with actual experience of using an HG612 on ADSL.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2023, 12:41:48 AM »

Perhaps @burakkucat could offer an opinion on this, having worked on various HG612 configuration issues.

It was so long ago . . . but way back, before asbokid released his first unlocked firmware image, Bald_Eagle1 had sent to "The Cattery" a HG612 from his collection of "spares". As someone had to perform the experiment, asbokid and Bald_Eagle1 jointly decided that the black cat should do the deed. The very first asbokid image was successfully flashed to the H612 and I had my first sight of the GUI . . .

Without changing any of the configuration, the HG612 was briefly connected to the incoming pair, which carried the ADSL2+ based TalkTalk service (LLU), and it failed to achieve synchronism with the exchange based MSAN. The status of the GUI menu Basic >> DSL Modulation type tick boxes was that just the last of the six, "ALL", was selected.

That first asbokid image was just about to be publicly announced when Openreach pushed out a new image. So the second asbokid image was quickly created by the maestro and passed to the black cat for testing. The flash of that image was successful and so it was the second private asbokid image was announced. To the public, that was the first unlocked image.

Following asbokid's announcement, the HG612 at The Cattery was reconfigured as a modem/router for an ADSL2+ based service and it was that configuration which was described on the Huawei HG612 pages in the Kitz Wiki. It was soon discovered that the HG612 was an underpowered device to act as a modem/router for a VDSL2 based service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2023, 09:24:36 AM »

@licquorice To make your quick question even more confusing you may be interested in some older threads discussing attempts to use the HG612 as a bridged modem on a SKY ADSL PPPoA connection, it doesn't work :no: It cannot convert the router PPPoE connection to PPPoA. The Draytek modems can do this conversion.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,27110.msg454944.html#msg454944

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19743.0.html

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2023, 09:47:25 AM »

Thanks for that. I think the definitive conclusion is that the HG612 can't be used as a modem only in conjunction with a router with only PPPoE capability on its WAN interface.

I guess the broader answer to my generic question is that PPPoA can be either a modem function, or with ATM capability, a router function.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2023, 10:14:07 AM »

That's surprising.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2023, 10:31:57 AM »

@licquorice You've lost me there, is that what you really meant to write. There must be thousands of HG612 modems running on VDSL2 lines connected to a router via PPPoE. Possibly a few on ADSL as well, as most services will connect using PPPoE or PPPoA, Sky ADSL is PPPoA only.

@Alex Atkin It surprised me as well because it is wrong, I'm guessing it's a typo. ???
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:45:08 AM by RealAleMadrid »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2023, 10:37:54 AM »

I meant on ADSL lines with PPPoA, not VDSL
Pages: 1 [2] 3