Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: PPPoA credentials  (Read 6256 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
PPPoA credentials
« on: February 10, 2023, 11:37:41 AM »

Quick question that I should know the answer to but don't.
Are PPPoA credentials applied on the modem or the router?

craigski

• Reg Member
Re: PPPoA credentials
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 11:45:50 AM »

Router.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 11:50:30 AM »

Hmm, that's what I thought as PPPoE is a router function, but there seems to be conflicting information.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 12:10:58 PM »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 12:36:52 PM »

That seems to show the CPE as a combined modem/ router and that the PPPoA function is on the modem side of the device. I'm not sure routers will have ATM capability on the WAN interface.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 02:12:02 PM »

Maybe this wasn't a quick question  :)

I think we need to be more specific on what the modem and/or router are you are referring to in your original question, ie model numbers, or is it a generic question.

You could (maybe you still can?) establish a PPPoA link using just a PC and modem, eg the Original BTopenworld Speed Touch  USB Stingray modem. The PPPoA credentials would be applied in the Alcatel windows driver. This would give you an IP network connection, without a physical 'router', not sure if that helps you answer your question?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 02:23:55 PM »

Its a generic question for my understanding, but it is specifically in relation to a problem on the BT forum in connecting a Unifi USG to an HG612 on ADSL. This article would seem to indicate that the PPPoA session is carried out by the HG612.

I'm not sure if the HG612 was ever used on ADSL in its locked state although it will connect to ADSL at the DSL layer.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 02:38:35 PM »

In theory the HG612 could do that as its technically a router.  The trick is then configuring everything correctly for the DHCP Spoofing to work so the actual router can get the public IP address.  I think there's a post about that on this forum somewhere.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 02:48:53 PM »

Yes I'm aware it can be done on the HG612, but not sure if it is modem functionality or router functionality as the HG612 is essentially a single port modem/router that can be used purely as a modem.
If the HG612 was ever used on ADSL, the PPPoA credentials would have been needed to be fixed as they were supplied locked and not user accessible. Hence expecting the PPPoA details to be a router function rather than modem, however, this would necessitate ATM capability on the router WAN interface.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 02:56:23 PM »

You misunderstood my point, I was specifically saying that the HG612 has a mode where it handles the PPP connection then forwards the public IP address to a router. https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4109217-huawei-hg612-working-as-a-router.html#Post4109993
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 02:59:09 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 03:29:12 PM »

Yes, I know that,  but that isn't the point behind my original question.

This post details it https://vessinity.wordpress.com/2019/05/11/configure-bt-echolife-huawai-hg612-as-adsl-modem-only-device/

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 04:09:46 PM »

Its a generic question for my understanding, but it is specifically in relation to a problem on the BT forum in connecting a Unifi USG to an HG612 on ADSL. This article would seem to indicate that the PPPoA session is carried out by the HG612.

I'm not sure if the HG612 was ever used on ADSL in its locked state although it will connect to ADSL at the DSL layer.

USG  :no: :comp:

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 04:12:41 PM »

Don't shoot the messenger.  :lol:

Yes, I'm coming to that conclusion.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 04:39:32 PM »

If you want to get technical, PPPoA is actually, PPP over Ethernet over ATM.

The HG612 should do the Ethernet  over ATM conversion, as it supported both in it's locked configuration, the ECI were configured as VDSL modems only.

You would still need the Un Suitable Gateway to send PPPoE details though

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 04:46:08 PM »

Hmm, the link I posted suggests the PPP credentials are entered on the HG612 and then bridged to the router. Are you saying that the router can just enter the PPP credentials as PPPoE and the HG612 will pass that via PPPoA without any config changes from default?
Pages: [1] 2 3