Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Linksys WAG 160N router  (Read 16444 times)

robbo462003

• Just arrived
Linksys WAG 160N router
« on: August 23, 2008, 05:08:23 AM »

Recently purchased Linksys WAG 160N router and WUSB 300N adapter,with resulting inhouse wireless speed improvement from 54kbps to 130kbps.But would like to check line stats if possible.Any advice would be appreciated,

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Linksys WAG 160N router
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:31:18 AM »

Hi and welcome.

I traced the manual for this router, but it makes no mention of line stats as you've no doubt already discovered. :(

There are three other Linksys routers mentioned here and maybe the instructions for one of these three will work with the 160N. Otherwise I'm out of ideas I'm afraid.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:34:57 AM »

This is a fairly new router, so  Ive downloaded and had a look through the user manual from the linksys site but there doesn't appear to be anything in it that shows where the line stats are... why linksys insist on hiding them Ive no idea :/

Ive also done a search and no-one seems to have come up with an answer....  aside from one post I found where someone couldnt find them either.. after several suggestions  then someone came  up with the suggestion of trying the same as the WAG-54G and directed them to my page.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#28

The user didnt come back, saying it didnt work that time.. so its possible that it is the same as the WAG 54G and WAG 354G.

If so, would you please let me know and I'll add it to that page so that others know in future. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 07:35:47 AM »

lol eric - you and me must have both been looking at the same time :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »

:)
  Eric

robbo462003

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:46:33 AM »

:( Hi thanks for the prompt suggestions have tried all but without success,my ISP ,Zen,was unable to offer any suggestions.I will contact the Linskys support chat line and seek their advice,

Once again thanks for your replies,will post the outcome from Linksys asap
                                                                                                                                                                                           Robbo

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »

After yet more googling and drawing lots of blanks....  I found one post where someone had managed to get their line stats from a WAG 160N  -

ok.. i have finally found my DSL status page.. (for some reason its hidden from the main GUI and requires a telnet to hook up to it)

Therefore try the instructions for the Linksys WAG-54GS.

Good luck :)
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »

(OT, I know)

Not noticed the instructions for the Linksys before... they look very Netgear-ish! (the broadcom ones)

It's amazing how many different routers and manufacturers out there - yet how few ADSL chipsets there are in comparison...
Shows how the firmware developers' talent (or lack of!) makes a difference to a piece of equipment! For the small number of ADSL chipsets in use in routers, there's an awful lot of models to choose from - all with their particular quirks!

Sorry for ramble - it just struck me as quite ironic really :)
* mr_chris sends self to NC for going off on a ramble ;)
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 06:28:47 PM »

More slightly O/T stuff.

>> it just struck me as quite ironic really

Indeed - Linksys (owned by cisco) and they often use broadcom chipsets in their routers..  and no there isnt really that many chipset manufacturers, many of them "overlapping".. although obviously there are different chipset versions by the same manufacturer.
At the end of the day much of the limitation is down to the firmware and if the router manufacturer allows access to certain features. :(

Which starts me on a different track about firmware..  Im not entirely sure if what Thompson have done by deliberately blocking some features of late (DMT) is entirely ethical.
Fair enough not to include them in the web-interface, but not allowing access via telnet into the busybox shell which is supposed to be open source makes me wonder.  I know BT Voyager got pulled up a few years back for not making part of their source readily available..  and one of the things I did like about my old 2100 was the ability to access the shell to be able to explore a few more features that werent available from the interface.
-----

robbo462003

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 07:26:45 PM »

I tried the suggestion for the WAG54GS but got lost at the second stage of the instruction.Earlier today I contacted Linksys support via their online support chat facility.They could not give me an answer there and then but promised to reply by email.I got the feeling they were not too bothered as my enquiry was not about a problem with the router,maybe they will reply.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 07:44:13 PM »

>> I tried the suggestion for the WAG54GS but got lost at the second stage of the instruction.

Is that the telnet bit? 
I'll include some images but bear in mind these were for a different router so the IP no's etc will be different.

Start  >>
run >>
 type  telnet 192.168.1.1

This should now open a new telnet window in which you will need to enter your router username and password 
(default is admin and admin but you may have changed these.

then at the prompt type adslctl info --stats

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 07:47:03 PM »

ps
if you wish to copy any output results and perhaps paste them into notepad.. then theres instructions on how to copy and save the info from a command window here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/tute/save_results.htm
-----

robbo462003

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 07:53:32 PM »

the dos box says connecting then shuts down,when I run 192.168.1.1

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »

okay try just "telnet" from the run box

Then when the telnet window opens type "open 192.168.1.1"

-----

robbo462003

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 09:23:25 PM »

that works but got message could not connect to host ,connection failed ?
Pages: [1] 2

anything