Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Takeup higher than expected?  (Read 1787 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Takeup higher than expected?
« on: February 08, 2023, 02:35:07 PM »

Fibre seems to be taking off quicker than I expected.  I just noticed three people on the maisonettes across from me seem to have it now, and there's only 8 properties per block.

That would possibly explain why both Three and Vodafone have work round here, they may be losing home Internet customers as the Three mast seems to be getting more and more contended and Vodafone you'd have to be in the top floors to get reception as its right on the edge of their 5G coverage despite there being 4G mast less than 100m away.

Really curious now if Three are building a new mast and if Vodafone are FINALLY adding 5G to the local one.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Takeup higher than expected?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »

Was on an all-hands call with Clive Selley the other day - he reported take up on the OR network is fantastic, at 29% and growing. 

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 02:45:18 PM »

I would also expect a sharp incline in take-up on OR's infrastructure, now that Ofcom have decided that OR's 'Equinox 2' pricing structure is not anti-competitive.

Two of the larger alt-nets (Virgin & CF) had taken up a case with Ofcom to try and halt E2 going through, but it's been scuppered. Great news for the CP's and their EU's.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11709063/Ofcom-Openreachs-Equinox-2-scheme-not-anti-competitive.html

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 04:54:55 PM »

The high take up is what allows Equinox 2 and I'm delighted to see it although with reservations. I really, really like the altnet I use and want to see a space they can succeed in.

I think they'll be okay, they've been very well run, but the two Equinox price changes will have sealed the fate of some of the more marginal players.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 05:10:50 PM »

Agreed, having options is always a good thing.  You can see this clearly in the US where big cities with competition are rolling out ever faster speeds, but smaller towns are only just getting VDSL as their only competition is cable which is often over-subscribed.

Our system isn't perfect, but forcing Openreach to allow other ISPs on the network has given us a much more healthy situation.  I dread to think what would happen if Openreach were just left to cut prices to whatever they felt like, run all alt-nets into the ground then have a complete monopoly.  Its why I too have reservations in situations like this as obviously the lower prices could impact me, allowing ISPs to drop prices perhaps, or introduce faster tiers, but likewise we need alt-nets to exist.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 06:48:07 PM »

The ideal would have been dark fibre to each home to be run as the company lighting it sees fit but we are where we are!
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

anything