Chat > Tech Chat

The generational gap

(1/5) > >>

Bowdon:
I've noticed when reading tech forums these days that the once outliers now seem to hold the majority.

When TV/Monitors started to become bigger and better, there was always one or two people who always wanted to buy the most cutting edge visual technology, even if they couldn't fully utilise it on there own setup. Most people back in the day would call it a waste of money because there wasn't the high quality films to use the visuals, or the games made to use all of the monitors features.

I think its a generational mind set as we used to use technology that was never fully fit for purpose. But we put up with it and squeezed the best performance out of it. The modem instruction forums testify to that!  ;)

We of that camp seem to be outnumbered these days by the ones who want the latest cutting edge technology immediately, even though there isn't the applications to deal with it.

I don't think many appreciate what they have got these days as much as us who went through the early days of technology and have seen it develope and advance.

Someone who as never exprienced even a 56K modem can't fully appreciate a FTTP connection, in my opinion.

/rant

g3uiss:
How about 2800kbs modem  :lol:

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: Bowdon on February 05, 2023, 02:51:27 PM ---Someone who as never exprienced even a 56K modem . . .

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: g3uiss on February 05, 2023, 04:07:50 PM ---How about 2800kbs modem  :lol:

--- End quote ---

The first modem I ever used was 300 bps (V21 specification).  ;)

g3uiss:
I remember those also

gt94sss2:

--- Quote from: Bowdon on February 05, 2023, 02:51:27 PM ---I don't think many appreciate what they have got these days as much as us who went through the early days of technology and have seen it develope and advance.

--- End quote ---

I don't think much has changed. In the past, the hardware wasn't great and each new generation resulted in big improvements.

Now the hardware can cope easily and other things like software limit the experience.

I think modem communication has just made it easier to find people with the same views as you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version