Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VoIP question  (Read 3020 times)

z1ts

• Reg Member
VoIP question
« on: February 01, 2023, 12:02:18 PM »

Good day all

I have a pretty good Virgin connection with BB only - no VoIP or landline.

My old OR provided landline I ported to Sipgate and now use an ATA to hook it back up to my DECT phones.

Usage of my landline for outgoing calls has tapered to near nothing and I find myself paying Sipgate's £15/month for not really a lot.

I'd prefer to hang on to the ability to receive calls to my landline (ideally through the ATA - DECT set up) as it's used a bit for the 'important stuff' in life like Dr's etc. but I want to reduce my costs a bit...

Any ideas on a VoIP service that has very cheap [free] incoming calls only option?

TIA

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: VoIP question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 03:23:12 PM »

Any ideas on a VoIP service that has very cheap [free] incoming calls only option?

Yes Sipgate! I've had a free account for years that is used for incoming calls only.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 03:27:26 PM »

But the Sipgate Basic Account (PAYG) is no longer available, I have one and have they haven't told me anything is changing but I believe it may be discontinued at the end of 2023

See ... https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,27260.0.html

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 06:32:48 PM »

I'd prefer to hang on to the ability to receive calls to my landline (ideally through the ATA - DECT set up) as it's used a bit for the 'important stuff' in life like Dr's etc. but I want to reduce my costs a bit...
Could you request the Dr's etc update their records and call your mobile number instead, rather than call the VoIP number?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 08:42:19 PM »

Port the number to AAISP if you can, I think its worth £1.44//month.

I'm actually doing the opposite, using VoIP more now as I have no need for an expensive mobile contract and just make one call a month to keep it active on a PAYG plan.  Of course most people aren't always at home, but I think a lot of people should re-assess the cost of their mobile contracts as they might be overpaying.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 08:44:30 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything