Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I caught covid :(  (Read 6889 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: I caught covid :(
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2024, 04:03:46 PM »

In fairness the current strains of covid have less effect on the average otherwise healthy person.  It was the early strains that had the more serious health risks.  The latest strain is supposed to be more contageous yet the symptoms aren't are severe.   It was the early strains that were the most fatal... and seemed to have lingering side effects.   

This is not much consolation to those in the high risk group.  :/  I hope your mum is feeling better than she was.

The problem with that assessment is how do you know it IS less harmful, rather than just appearing that way because the majority of people most at risk are now dead?

Like you said, its no consolation to the people who avoided it by isolation and are still concerned the statistics could be misleading.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2024, 01:10:51 PM »

The problem with that assessment is how do you know it IS less harmful, rather than just appearing that way because the majority of people most at risk are now dead?

Because the science supports that the current strains are less harmful but more contagious. That is also the standard way that viruses evolve and COVID is no exception.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2024, 06:30:24 PM »

how do you know it IS less harmful, rather than just appearing that way because the majority of people most at risk are now dead?
Numerous scientific reports.  The virus has mutated many times, plus our own defence immunity mechanisms have increased due to having encountered the cirus first hand or by vaccination.   During the first year or so, practically every variant was said to be less harmful but more contagious than its predecessor.  Covid is not alone, its normal behaviour for most new viruses to mutate not only being more contagious, but evolve and change the amount of damage to the host.   It is not in the viruses best benefit to kill off the host.  They need live hosts to continue to spread.  As far as the virus is concerned its better if they have little impact on the host... who can then carry on with their normal routine and spreading their germs.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2024, 10:53:33 PM »

I'd like to see those (scientific) reports that say that the virus is less harmful, or do they talk about our response to the infection being less severe? These are two different things.

I think there's a lot of confusion - especially in the regular press - that leads to the misinterpretation of how serious Covid still is; most reports talk about Covid causing a relatively mild infection, but that's because of the population being vaccinated. 

Covid is still a very serious disease, and I've had reports from those who only had the initial two vaccines that their subsequent infections were more serious (for example some had the difficulty with breathing as one of the symptoms which they hadn't had before).

Finally, Omicron isn't the only variant circulating. 

With every viral infection, there's more damage done to the body.

I really  don't understand those statements that say that it's not in the virus' interest to kill off the host. This implies that the virus has some kind of intelligence. 

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2024, 01:04:56 AM »

I really  don't understand those statements that say that it's not in the virus' interest to kill off the host. This implies that the virus has some kind of intelligence. 

Indeed, the biggest reason deadly strains end up dying off is because as humans we isolate those people so they have no opportunity to spread it.  Historically when we don't, entire towns end up dying off achieving the same result.

So naturally the ones that can spread the most are the strains that have randomly mutated into less severe symptoms.

One of the point is the UK has a terrible immunisation policy, hardly anyone is eligible to be vaccinated.  Its quite bizarre as for Flu anyone with Asthma can get it due to the risk of pneumonia, the same risk with COVID where Asthma does not make you eligible.  Both me and my mum missed an entire round of vaccination because they couldn't organise a home visit and unlike the Flu vaccine, I couldn't simply go to the local pharmacy to get it either.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2024, 04:24:32 PM »

Finally, Omicron isn't the only variant circulating. 

Every variant circulating is a descendant of Omicron. If you've evidence to the contrary please post.

Regarding viruses killing hosts it's a shorthand way of stating the obvious: the longer a host is alive the more they can spread the virus so viruses that don't kill their hosts very quickly have a replication advantage.

The evidence on Omicron being less severe is partially based on how it works: it doesn't bind to receptors in the lungs as readily as the earlier variants it's far happier in the upper respiratory tract so is less likely to cause SARS.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2024, 06:18:14 PM »

Regarding viruses killing hosts it's a shorthand way of stating the obvious: the longer a host is alive the more they can spread the virus so viruses that don't kill their hosts very quickly have a replication advantage.

Plus I'd think the longer the host survives, the more likely the virus is to be mutated as its changed by the hosts immune response.  Thus we get variants.

The evidence on Omicron being less severe is partially based on how it works: it doesn't bind to receptors in the lungs as readily as the earlier variants it's far happier in the upper respiratory tract so is less likely to cause SARS.

Let's hope this continues and the evidence is strong enough to convince my mum at some point.
Pages: 1 2 [3]