Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I caught covid :(  (Read 6884 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: I caught covid :(
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2023, 07:01:40 PM »

Just to add and continue the thread.

I still haven't got over 'long covid' symptoms. Most of them have gone. But the last 2 remaining ones, that I think are somehow connected, is the high heart rates at times, and the symptom that most impacts me is the oxygen drops on exertion. I use supplemental oxygen when I move around. It doesn't fully stop the drop. But it helps me so I can at least get to the computer table from my bed.

It'll be going on for 9 months when we reach September. The doctors I've seen all say they expect I'll recover. They just don't know when. Different people have different recovery times.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2023, 07:09:17 PM »

I hope they're right, the fear right from the start was that scarring on the lungs is one of the worst things you can get as it leaves a permanent impairment.

What's even worse is the NHS wont give me and my mum a booster.  She was trying to get a home visit for one for months and when they finally got back they said "oh that scheme ended a few weeks ago, we aren't doing them now".

It makes no sense as we both have been eligible for the flu jab since it existed, for the exact same reason that getting a chest infection is dangerous for asthmatics, yet somehow less people are eligible for the COVID vaccine when it the exact same risk factor and more likely to happen than from the flu.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2023, 07:48:27 PM »

The NHS sent me a covid test pack. I'm supposed to let them know if I test positive for covid and they will dispatch some anti viral covid medications. So they seem to be looking at meds rather than vaccines at the moment.

So I'd get some covid test kits on standby, and then at least you can report any positive result to your gp and/or hospital.

celso

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2023, 08:34:50 PM »

Just to add and continue the thread.

I still haven't got over 'long covid' symptoms. Most of them have gone. But the last 2 remaining ones, that I think are somehow connected, is the high heart rates at times, and the symptom that most impacts me is the oxygen drops on exertion. I use supplemental oxygen when I move around. It doesn't fully stop the drop. But it helps me so I can at least get to the computer table from my bed.

It'll be going on for 9 months when we reach September. The doctors I've seen all say they expect I'll recover. They just don't know when. Different people have different recovery times.

Damn, that's bad.

Someone I know got covid twice, bad symptoms too. He still gets tired easily after a year or so, but is able to work and do a normal live.

Hope you get better soon.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2023, 07:46:00 AM »

There's something really screwed up with how NHS deals with COVID in general.  Logically everyone eligible for the Flu vaccine should be eligible for COVID, as its exactly the same risk factors but a higher risk of complications and getting it in the first place.

But every time my mum has had to stress to the GP that I need a COVID vaccine as her carer, despite the fact I'm offered Flu every year due to Asthma and they completely ignore that my alopecia is an auto-immune disease and I take antihistamines all year round due to allergies, so should qualify for COVID vaccination anyway (though why Asthma doesn't is bonkers).

This all seems to boil down to the government trying to cut costs.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2023, 03:42:41 PM »

The whole attitude towards covid has changed.

I was in hospital a few times late 2020.  Everyone had to wear masks 24/7 except for eating.  Anyone with any symptoms such as cough or fever n wards and anyone in contact with someone who had covid was moved in to special isolation wards until you either diagnosed as positive/negative 4 days later.  If you were positive then it was off to a covid ward which were horrid.   Staff wore full PPE, absolutely no contact with anyone.  Just led in a bed 24/7 wearing a mask.  Food was dumped on a tray at the end of your bed and the staff ran back out asap.  No contact at all with anyone else. No visiting.  I was quite lucky in that after a day I was moved to my own room so that I didn't have to see other patients many of whom were practically or semi unconscious and you knew that at least one of those patients weren't going to make it through the night.

Compare to being in hospital Aug/Sep 2023 on several different wards. Hardly ever a mask in sight.  In one ward where I was the longest, the woman in the bed directly opposite developed a cough with fever.  No-one even swabbed her. A couple of nights later I was laid awake and everyone else in my bay was coughing.  I could also hear various coughs coming from other bays. OK some patients may have something like Asthma or CoPD, but it was supposed to be a dedicated gastro ward not a respiratory or general surgical ward. Visiting was back to how it was pre-covid with some patients having up to 5 visitors around their bed, none of whom wore a mask.  There weren't even any masks at the hospital entrance.

I don't think even all the staff had the most recent covid vaccine, as I overheard one of the nurses talking about it.
I've not been offered it.  I think I'm classed as vulnerable with chronic neuro diseases and COPD.  Ive lost track of when I had the last, but it was many months ago.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2023, 09:18:41 PM »

That's extremely alarming, I thought at least hospitals were still taking it seriously but I guess not.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2023, 08:55:53 AM »

Having spoken to a number of medical professionals, I'm alarmed at their relaxed attitude towards Covid. Right from the start. And I think thinking that is quite selfish. I'll never forget how some of my medical students, right before the pandemic, much to my shock, thought the government was making a big deal about this new virus.

I recently complained to the Health Board that the healthcare professional that was taking my bloods wasn't wearing gloves or a mask. I thought it was appalling. The manager phoned me, acknowledging that they'd become a bit 'blaze' about that,  and promised that next time I'd be in, they'd be wearing PPE. 

I never understood how people with 'just a cold' come to work, spreading their germs and infecting others. I don't want their germs. Plus, there seems to be this 'corporal responsibility', whereby if you don't come to work, you're not seen as a good worker.

The attitude in Central Europe is different in that when you're unwell, you're unwell: you should stay at home to get better and to prevent the spread of germs to others. 

« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 09:10:32 AM by Edinburgh_lad »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2023, 10:41:15 AM »

They also don't aspirate before giving the vaccine despite the vaccine manufacturers making it very clear that if its accidentally injected into a vein then bad things can happen.

There was a nurse on YouTube collecting reports of reactions to the vaccine and he seemed to think every single one was due to this, the common indication being a metallic taste in the mouth immediately after injection.

My mums sense of taste went mental after one of her injections and she seems to have developed narcolepsy, maybe unrelated but I honestly don't know.

She also worked in medical records in a hospital and confirmed the same that they insist people come into work ill if they can, even though most staff have to travel through areas of the hospital where they could infect vulnerable patients (or are handling files that could spread it).  The fact hospital staff don't HAVE to be vaccinated also seems absolutely insane.  If you got a job working around vulnerable people, you absolutely should have to agree to measures to protect those people.  Its like someone working on a building site refusing to follow safety rules.  Fine risk your own life, but if it has the potential to put others at risk then nope, you have no right to do that.

I also notice how nurses when giving injections don't HAVE to sanitise the injection site any more, when this used to be routine.

It also makes me laugh that official rules for driving say "do not drive when unwell", but every single employer insists you come into work ill.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 10:44:04 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2023, 10:22:38 AM »

Well, Alex, I think you should stand your ground and next time they're not sanitising the injection site, you just need to make a comment about that, demanding that they do. Yes, you'll definitely get the looks and the odd comment, but it's about you and your mum, so I'd simply ignore them. And if there's an issue, calling the manager in almost always works, and if it doesn't, you just need to walk out, make a complaint and come back when things are improved.

I actually still wear a mask in shops/workplace on a daily basis and the only people that ever commented was the petrol station man (who made a comment: you're still wearing a mask) and my local priest (and I'm very disappointed with him in this respect, as there are lots of vulnerable in the congregation), though he's used to me wearing a mask now and makes no more comments.

Honestly, why does it bother people if you're wearing a mask or not? I find it quite extraordinary.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2024, 07:11:49 PM »

I thought I'd update the thread.

I've still got the same main 2 symptoms, a high heart rate and oxygen desaturation on movement.

I've past the 14 month mark on February 8th.

I think a lot of my symptoms are coming from poor circulation. I tried to stand up a few months ago, though when I tried to sit down I got a head rush. Now when I try to sit up I get bodily weak and have to lie down.

This is making getting to appointments nearly impossible. Though I'm not sure how interested the "covid" consultant is. I feel like I'm waiting around for treatments to be created or hopefully a natural recovery.

I'm thankful I bought a decent smart phone before I got ill (Samsung S21+5G) as I've been doing the majority of my internet activities on there.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2024, 09:43:45 PM »

Sorry youre still suffering.  Its got a lot to answer for as its causing lingering symptoms for a lot of people.  Ive been diagnosed with COPD from covid. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2024, 02:55:37 PM »

Had to get an ambulance out a couple of days ago for my mum as she hadn't been eating and was getting weaker and weaker.  She did not want to go into A&E for fear of catching COVID so after a fight they finally relented and sent the out of hours Dr out.

When he arrived he gave her a lecture on how she COULD have gone to the out of hours centre, she isn't housebound because "she can get out of bed" and that COVID is not a big deal, claiming the numbers of serious cases is minimal - like that's somehow reassuring.

They seem completely obivious to the fact the reason the numbers are down is because the remaining people particularly vulnerable ARE housebound, as in they physically cannot go out without help or wont go out in order to avoid catching it.

I mean it makes my life a living hell as I can't go out either, so I've never gotten to see my baby (well not so much 3 years on) cousin who was born at the start of the pandemic.  The fact governments worldwide allowed it to become endemic due to profits over safety is just disgusting, I'm convinced this could have been avoided.

Also the sheer number of people who felt like wearing a mask in public was some sort of public shaming, despite the fact this has been routine for many Asian countries for decades.  Though that is probably part of the problem, people see us doing something that China does and immediately jump to it being communist.  Its extremely depressing how apparent its become that common sense is rare, when the evidence is staring you in the face and you can still deny it.  The amount of lip service to public health has always been apparent "don't drive when ill, but your employer will fire you if you don't come in to work" but its all the more in the open now.

Its never been more apparent that most people, and particularly governments, would prefer anyone vulnerable just curl up and die so they can just get on with their lives.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2024, 12:47:51 PM »

>> claiming the numbers of serious cases is minimal  <<

What a turn-about attitude. Two years ago you couln't enter any medical facility without a mask and having your temp scanned.  As per my earlier post, no one cares now.

In fairness the current strains of covid have less effect on the average otherwise healthy person.  It was the early strains that had the more serious health risks.  The latest strain is supposed to be more contageous yet the symptoms aren't are severe.   It was the early strains that were the most fatal... and seemed to have lingering side effects.   

This is not much consolation to those in the high risk group.  :/  I hope your mum is feeling better than she was.

-----

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2024, 01:58:44 PM »

In fairness the current strains of covid have less effect on the average otherwise healthy person.  It was the early strains that had the more serious health risks.  The latest strain is supposed to be more contageous yet the symptoms aren't are severe.   It was the early strains that were the most fatal... and seemed to have lingering side effects.   

Quite correct, from my understanding COVID for the vast majority now is very low risk indeed. It also helps that most people have had it and/or been immunised so their immune system will have some memory of it, albeit one that fades over time. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 02:12:47 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Pages: 1 [2] 3