Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Changing asus router... will 5ghz be any different?  (Read 2488 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Changing asus router... will 5ghz be any different?
« on: January 31, 2023, 08:00:17 PM »

Thinking of changing my old asus rt-ac88u for a newer model, perhaps something like the ax82u....

All our devices are mostly using 5ghz for WiFi but in the real world would be actually see any difference performance wise on our phones or am I wasting my money?  I know we may use WiFi 6 eventually but I'm just wondering if we would see any difference with our 5ghz devices as spec wise the newer router appears to have faster 5ghz...

Cheers

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Changing asus router... will 5ghz be any different?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 08:35:14 PM »

Hard to say, as a general rule no as the improvement comes from WiFi 6 so if none of your devices support it you wont get that improvement.  However its often not that simple as newer/different chipsets may perform better even on Wifi 5.

As I'm sure you're already aware, the bigger improvements come from having an Access Point in the room you are using the devices in.  I stopped using routers as Access Points many years ago now as a ceiling mounted AP helps get a cleaner line of sight.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 08:50:10 PM »

Ok thanks...

Probably chasing something not really necessary...
My phone can achieve about 460 on download tests on the same floor. 2 floors up from the 88u still gets around 380...more than enough I would think..

I have got networking at the top of the house (cat6) so perhaps a hard wired access point up top might be a better idea..My 88u does offer mesh so would it  be compatible? Any suggestions appreciated.

The 88u is over kill as an AP but due to moving over to opnsense some years ago it just got given the job as the AP..cheers

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 09:25:31 PM »

I don't think you can combine what are essentially business products (wall/ceiling mounted APs) with consumer products mesh.  You'd just have to use the standard method of using the same SSIDs on multiple APs.

Like you said though, how you have it now is likely good enough.  Almost all my devices spend 99% of the time in the same room as the AP and as I have a Steam Deck having the fastest AP I could get worked out well, it can download at 82MB/s.  But if you have nothing where speed is important, you might as well wait a few years for WiFi 7 to be finalised and upgrade then.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors