Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Disabling Annex M  (Read 3804 times)

lemzip

Disabling Annex M
« on: January 30, 2023, 03:13:33 PM »

Hi,

After being around a long time ago in the adsl game, I have fell into the unfortunate house purchase with terrible internet and am back in it.

In addition to that, I have also skimped on broadband am on NowTV's £18 a month service using their supplied modem/router.

It looks like im on Annex M as my upload has increased and lowered my download. It also doesnt look like im on fastpath anymore and I only use this for gaming.

Support dont know what I mean so Im looking to see if there is any router based options to turn off Annex M. I cant for the life of me remember but think a DG834GT used to do this?

The router also needs to work on sky based auth. Any recommendations for me to get off Annex M?

Thanks

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Disabling Annex M
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 06:53:42 PM »

That would be very strange, I've not heard of Annex M in years and assumed nobody used it since Be Broadband got bought out.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 06:54:49 PM »

Didn't Sky buy Be, maybe it's a legacy of that somehow?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 06:57:17 PM »

I'd assume its a glitch, as you had to request it explicitly on Be and it only really worked on very short lines.  I don't think it let you sync using anything else when it was enabled though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

lemzip

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 07:07:36 PM »

ahh maybe im mistaken.

I actually was on sky at this property before for the first year. I sync'd at 17/800.

Since switching to nowtv, its 15/1.2 - could it be a interleaving thing perhaps?

Plugging the old sky router in gives the same 15/1.2. Sky also had my snr down to 3db where now it never moves from 6.

Not really noticed anything wrong with the line besides the ping increase.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 12:07:31 AM »

I can see why you'd think Annex M, I'm kinda thinking you are right compared to how it was syncing before.  I do suspect its not something you can change your-end though as I did test it on Be Broadband and had to ask them to turn it back to A.  If just disabling Annex M was an option, I would have done that instead.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:48:23 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

lemzip

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 01:49:09 AM »

Might pickup a cheap 8800NL second hand or something just to find more info

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 10:02:20 AM »

1.2 on the upstream is the highest sync rate you can get on Annex A.

I'd expect to see 2.5 on the upstream for Annex M.

lemzip

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 02:29:53 PM »

Its at the 6db upstream limit though so might be one or the other

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 10:56:47 PM »

Annex_M has to be configured at the DSLAM.

I'm going to say there are no settings to turn it off...  because strictly speaking there isnt anything in any of the modem GUIs.
However, If you did have Annex_M, there is a dirty hack that may work in the CLI for some modems, see Speedtouch 585 AnnexA / Annex M.  Although I used DMT tool to make it easier, there will be direct CLI commands.

1.2 Mbps isnt indication of Annex M. It depends on the DSLAM manufacturer and how the SP has configured the useable bitstream. As Meeritez mentioned its just the top end of ADSL2+, if you did have annex_m then you'd be looking at about a min of 2Mb when paired with a 17Mbos down.  (Due to spectral shaping, it's not a straight swap)     

A loss of downstream sync from 17 to 15 Mbps is probably about right for interleaving overheads.  In fact depending upon the interleave depth it could be more.

I#m fairly confident to say that you do not have annex_m
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

lemzip

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 12:45:44 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I do potentially think its interleaving. It looks like i'm on a much higher interleave band and the DSLAM doesnt want to drop me down to how it was on Sky. You can certainly tell the difference in games.

I will probably just ship to a different ISP at renewal. We are stuck on ADSL for the long haul I think as we are only 14 properties and BT wanted 212k for the CFP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 11:59:56 PM »

You could perhaps ask them to remove interleaving.   As its not fttc then you dont need to worry about Openreach.  I'm not sure about NowTV, but hopefully they may have some flexibility.

I don't know what parameters are on the Sky MSANs... but if you have no joy with getting them to turn it off, it may be an interesting experiment to see if you can poke the Sky MSAN into reducing the amount of error protection like is sometimes successful with the Openreach DSLAMs by putting an artifical cap on the line yourself. With it being adsl then you may be able to increase the SNRM as an option rather than a sync speed cap. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker