Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 5G Mobile Internet Access in Telford . . . and Other Areas  (Read 3042 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
5G Mobile Internet Access in Telford . . . and Other Areas
« on: January 24, 2023, 05:03:35 PM »

Nothing to do with G.fast. Look at these speed at Telford nearby bus station today. Crazy 5G   ::)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: 5G Mobile Internet Access in Telford . . . and Other Areas
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 05:47:19 PM »

Nothing to do with G.fast. Look at these speed at Telford nearby bus station today. Crazy 5G   ::)

Three are doing some work on the end of my street next month, where they currently have no equipment.  So I do wonder if were getting another local tower which would be rather interesting as the tower I'm using right now speeds have been declining.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 11:05:16 PM »

It never really dawns on me to speed test other networks or my mobile connection when Im out and about.  It would perhaps be different if it were somewhere I was sitting down at to do a specific task that required a decent connection.   I was about to ask if you checked random locations around your town.... but then I noticed you'd done eight!  :-\ 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 11:16:02 PM »

It never really dawns on me to speed test other networks or my mobile connection when Im out and about.  It would perhaps be different if it were somewhere I was sitting down at to do a specific task that required a decent connection.   I was about to ask if you checked random locations around your town.... but then I noticed you'd done eight!  :-\ 

I used to, but given I've not been out since the pandemic I had no reason to get a 5G phone anyway.  When I was attending conventions, hotel WiFi was a PITA so I'd use my phone and the speed on 4G was always kinda crap.  Then again there upload is more important as being able to backup the days videos is useful as you never know when an SD card will go bad.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 12:01:40 AM »

I do honest think 5G are wonderful so I can get Crystal Clear video call from the mobile phone. But I did try o2, three 4G as it always pretty crap from my previous area. Always best speed in abroad don't ask me why. But now ee not many 5G in Telford the same with Vodafone with none at all. 4G isn't that bad with ee and Vodafone. I think 5G are the same with G.fast you have to be stand next to it to get full speed. Further distance away you get less speed and losing connection. 5G with three are worse in my previous area. Not great.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 12:48:56 PM »

Well mobile is naturally more like WiFi, distance can be huge if you have direct line of sight to the mast, but add trees and buildings and things tail off quickly.  I'm not sure if my speed reduction is capacity or the garden hedge which keeps getting taller, I was actually surprised it worked as well as it does as there are many buildings between me and the mast, even though its only around 330m away from me.

If they add a new one on the end of the street it will only be 95m away with only one building between me and it, just slightly closer than the Vodafone/O2 4G mast.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:51:01 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 02:48:43 PM »

I used to, but given I've not been out since the pandemic I had no reason to get a 5G phone anyway.  When I was attending conventions, hotel WiFi was a PITA so I'd use my phone and the speed on 4G was always kinda crap.  Then again there upload is more important as being able to backup the days videos is useful as you never know when an SD card will go bad.

Oh you do not need a 5G phone, I can pull 300 down on a 4g phone.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 04:22:44 PM »

Oh you do not need a 5G phone, I can pull 300 down on a 4g phone.

You do on Three, their 4G sucks.  Lately on my local mast I can only pull 300 on 5G which is why I was pondering if they're planning to add a second closer to me to improve coverage, as it kinda makes sense if you look at their coverage map that it would fill a gap.

They're the cheapest network for Unlimited Data so get extremely saturated.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:28:05 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 04:39:40 PM »

They're the cheapest network for Unlimited Data so get extremely saturated.

Three have the least bandwidth on 4G, if they had not purchased Relish, they would not have 140 mHz of n78 5G, only 40 mHz.
O2 and Vodafone are doubling their n78 bandwidth soon, O2 to 80 mHz, Vodafone to 90 mHz.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 05:05:13 PM »

Still waiting on Vodafone to upgrade my local mast to 5G, I will admit their 4G network seemed more stable than Three on 5G and their upload rate was a lot higher.  Three seem to be dragging their heels upgrading to full 5G, relying on their garbage 4G for uploads would be a real drag if it was my primary connection.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 07:49:39 AM »

Still waiting on Vodafone to upgrade my local mast to 5G, I will admit their 4G network seemed more stable than Three on 5G and their upload rate was a lot higher.  Three seem to be dragging their heels upgrading to full 5G, relying on their garbage 4G for uploads would be a real drag if it was my primary connection.

Think yourself lucky. Here in rural Wiltshire I'm waiting on getting any half decent kind of mobile reception. Voice calls are hit and miss indoors (O2 and Vodafone - EE doesn't even manage that) and you can forget using mobile data in the house. As for FTTP - not even at the planning stage.  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 07:51:54 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 09:35:49 AM »

@tubaman if only Wiltshire council stopped refusing mobile mast planning applications:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wiltshire+mobile+mast+refused

This comment has me  :lol:
https://development.wiltshire.gov.uk/pr/s/web-comment/a073z00001JdWtuAAF/sally-mundys-comment

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 10:37:53 AM »

https://development.wiltshire.gov.uk/pr/s/web-comment/a073z00001JdWtuAAF/sally-mundys-comment

Oh dear - I can only assume she lives in a cave as I think even mains electricity would scare her. :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2023, 11:46:25 AM »

I started to read, but I'm afraid I couldnt get very far.  Experiencing a bad flare with tremors.. my brain refuses to input vast amounts of text walls.  I'm sure that in a past life I would have been able to dissect it,  but not this week{s}.  Hate this where it even hurts to sit at the PC and then something like that post makes me switch off.

She'd have a fit at the "6g" that is springing up here.  New poles rapidly erected outside about every 6th house.
These poles seemed to appear over a very short time frame, claiming quote "6G Internet wirelessly sends full fibre directly to your home" and can " send full fibre internet signals through the air"
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2023, 12:44:55 PM »

I started to read, but I'm afraid I couldnt get very far.  Experiencing a bad flare with tremors.. my brain refuses to input vast amounts of text walls. ..

So sorry to hear that you are suffering like this kitz. Hopefully you able to rest and keep reasonably comfortable.  :(
Pages: [1] 2

anything