Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2 ssids roaming  (Read 10142 times)

bazer

2 ssids roaming
« on: January 23, 2023, 08:39:26 AM »

hi i dont know if im in the right forum but can someone help me have a problem with wifi calling drops intermittently  i have both 2,4 g and 5.00 as one ssid  i can see the phone cange band via wifi settings etc what i want to know does change band seamlessly i was thinking of separating ssids and check from there but wifi can still roam even when you have 2 different names for the ssids if your browsing its doesn't mater but wifi calling is very picy has anvbody else had problems with wifi calling thanks baz

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: 2 ssids roaming
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 10:23:12 AM »

Seamless roaming is usually only supported on Mesh capable routers or enterprise managed Access Points.  I've never experienced it myself so I can't vouch for how seamless it really is.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 02:05:19 PM »

Seamless roaming involves a tunnel between one access point and the other with your traffic going into the new access point and being tunnelled to the old. To roam across SSIDs is down to whatever you're using as a client machine, you need to be able to associate with the new network in the background before the signal from the old one gets too weak, and your machine needs to know that it can use the same IP address, etc.

I'm not sure how to proceed with this. I've only done roaming across more advanced kit that I am guessing you have on your home network.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 11:39:23 PM »

My understanding is on such a network the Access Point (in a corporate network theres likely a controller to handle all this but home mesh it would be the main router) forces you off the weaker signal BEFORE it becomes completely unusable, whereas relying on the client they tend to hang on even when traffic keeps being lost.

I'd assume it still works between radios on the same router, if its mesh capable.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 08:37:18 AM »

Clients have roaming thresholds. APs can't boot them without interaction: they need to associate with the new AP before they've left the old one so always some dependence.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 01:17:36 PM »

I admit, I've never quite understood how it works, just that it basically never has for me on basic Access Points so I always use different SSIDs to prevent my phone being stuck on 2.4Ghz every time I've left the house and come back.  Is the AP able to tell the client to switch APs then?

anything