Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP Openreach ONT  (Read 2777 times)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
FTTP Openreach ONT
« on: January 16, 2023, 10:54:35 PM »

Hi

Has anyone tried using a third party ONT for optical connections like Fritzbox 5590 Fiber instead of the Openreach one? I know it's 'forbidden' and you're 'not supposed to' and 'won't be allowed' etc etc, but has anyone actually tried connecting something like that with success (or maybe not)? Please share your experiences.

Cheers.

[Moderator edited to substitute the abbreviation ONT (optical network terminal) for the word modem.]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 11:15:32 PM by burakkucat »

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP Openreach ONT
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 12:18:04 AM »

Yes.  :)
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 07:30:22 AM »

And? Dinnae hold me in suspense much langer pls.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 08:29:53 AM »

Yes  ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 09:48:36 AM »

Hi

Has anyone tried using a third party ONT for optical connections like Fritzbox 5590 Fiber instead of the Openreach one? I know it's 'forbidden' and you're 'not supposed to' and 'won't be allowed' etc etc, but has anyone actually tried connecting something like that with success (or maybe not)? Please share your experiences.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26900.msg453012.html
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 12:10:38 PM »

It doesn't work. Openreach register the ONT serial number that they provide you and only that serial number will register with the OLT.

Basically you need to spoof/fake specific info from the Openreach ONT to your own ONT and most ONTs don't have this functionality.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 12:39:29 PM »

It doesn't work. Openreach register the ONT serial number that they provide you and only that serial number will register with the OLT.

Basically you need to spoof/fake specific info from the Openreach ONT to your own ONT and most ONTs don't have this functionality.

It's the same for most providers, once you connect an ONT to a PON port, the OLT locks that in and takes engineers from the ISP to clear it down in case it is changed.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 12:52:33 PM »

I'm on a Huawei OLT. I purchased an Openreach ONT from eBay, got a console port to it, took the BT customisations and moved them to my own model, however it looks as though this was unnecessary and Openreach don't really care as long as the serial number matches. Lots of kit allows a serial number change. Match the manufacturer of your existing ONT if you can but probably doesn't matter.

Here's mine though.

EDIT: Just a note to mods if there's a serial number here it doesn't matter, it's not the one being sent to the OLT and someone would need to be on the same OLT port as me anyway.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 12:54:37 PM by XGS_Is_On »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 03:08:22 PM »

EDIT: Just a note to mods if there's a serial number here it doesn't matter, it's not the one being sent to the OLT and someone would need to be on the same OLT port as me anyway.

Ack.  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 06:42:24 PM »

So, theoretically, during the install, you could present a SN of another unit (say Fritzbox) and ask Openreach to register the number of that new unit, no?

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 06:43:50 PM »

I'm on a Huawei OLT. I purchased an Openreach ONT from eBay, got a console port to it, took the BT customisations and moved them to my own model, however it looks as though this was unnecessary and Openreach don't really care as long as the serial number matches. Lots of kit allows a serial number change. Match the manufacturer of your existing ONT if you can but probably doesn't matter.

Here's mine though.

Looks great. If it's not too much to ask of you, could you take us through the whole procedure?

Cheers!

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 06:52:47 PM »

Is what you have now a Huawei, Nokia or Adtran?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 06:56:51 PM »

So, theoretically, during the install, you could present a SN of another unit (say Fritzbox) and ask Openreach to register the number of that new unit, no?

In theory yes, in practice no, as they only support using their own ONT so you have to clone the details of their ONT.

Remember, the demarcation point of FTTP is the ethernet port on the ONT.  Replacing the ONT is like replacing your master socket, it is officially absolutely not allowed, but there is nothing to actually stop you doing it.  But if you make a mistake and it caused problems for other customers, you're potentially in a lot of trouble.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 08:04:46 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 10:37:02 PM »

I would also recommend reading through haggismn's four page thread titled "Openreach FTTP via MA5671A GPON SFP module".

For a generic, unlocked, customisable, GPON SFP module take a look at the GPON-ONU-34-20BI that is available from FS (Fibre Store).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything