Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Which FTTP ISP?  (Read 7898 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Which FTTP ISP?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2023, 08:32:10 AM »

When we've seen that before wasn't it something to do with the routers DoS protection?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2023, 09:06:38 AM »

When we've seen that before wasn't it something to do with the routers DoS protection?

It's the same Netgear Orbi router I was using on FTTC with a Draytek 2762 acting in bridge mode as the modem, so don't think it will be router related.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2023, 10:59:34 AM »

Any thoughts?
Initial thoughts, ignore it. Unless something specific is not working, not performing on your network, the BQM 'ping' is irrelevant and totally unrelated to your normal internet usage.

However, now you (and us) have seen this unexplained pattern on BQM, you cant 'unsee' it, which is a separate issue   :)

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2023, 11:58:12 AM »

Initial thoughts, ignore it. Unless something specific is not working, not performing on your network, the BQM 'ping' is irrelevant and totally unrelated to your normal internet usage.

However, now you (and us) have seen this unexplained pattern on BQM, you cant 'unsee' it, which is a separate issue   :)

I'm not concerned, just interested why there should be a regular wave pattern to the ping response.

Looking at the F8lure stats, my minimum ping has reduced from 10ms on FTTC to 8 ms on FTTP and the average has improved from ~10.5ms to ~8.7 over the last 24 hours.

art37

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2023, 09:08:39 AM »

I think some folks around here would claim that the attraction of AA as a provider who will help you when you have a copper fault becomes less compelling as fibre intrinsically brings with it less issues such as crosstalk etc.

However there is much more to it than that; the network is relatively small as there are a small number of customers. I’ve never once had any congestion issues. However, can’t say I ever experienced them with Sky with all the years I had a connection with them.

Of all the OR based providers though I’d go AA

I was a FTTC  AAISP customer for many years but I switched to Aquiss FTTP a year ago: no installation cost; 50% off for 4 months and unlimited usage. My 330/50 connection has performed as advertised so I cannot rate their technical support.

As my contract is about to end, I am again considering options. AAISP is more attractive than it was a year ago but it would still be £10 a month more than Aquiss.

If Aquiss was to offer me another 12 month contract on the terms offered to new customers, I would sign up in a heartbeat. It’s a conversation that I need to have with them.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2023, 10:57:50 PM »

If Aquiss was to offer me another 12 month contract on the terms offered to new customers, I would sign up in a heartbeat. It’s a conversation that I need to have with them.

Good luck with that one!  The new customer offer must be a significant loss leader for them / CtiyFibre.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2023, 12:57:53 AM »

Good luck with that one!  The new customer offer must be a significant loss leader for them / CtiyFibre.

Maybe with 50% off, but they should still be able to undercut AAISP.  Its kinda hard to judge as surely every customer is a loss leader on these new networks as its going to take a long time to make back that investment regardless of how much they charge.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2023, 08:49:03 AM »

Companies are generally open to negotiation if you suggest that you are looking to move. If you can find an equivalent package that's cheaper than Aquiss I'd give them a call, telling them what you've found, and ask if they can do you a deal.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

art37

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2023, 10:16:56 AM »

I failed. The response was that 'our focus is on quality of service'. It would be a rolling one month contract.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2023, 04:56:05 AM »

We're a pretty small country and some ISPs insist on using PPPoE.

My main ISP do not: I'm fully routed from the exchange onwards and would see very low latency to someone connected to the same OLT. This is uncommon: even Sky and TalkTalk are more likely to have a switch in the exchange to connect to Openreach and a router at the end of a chain of many exchanges.

I think that was how Digital Region used to work, my latency to a friend on the same cabinet as me was insanely low, almost LAN latency.

It was a real downgrade moving to Openreach from that.  Though I can't really complain now, rebooted my router earlier and came back up at 6ms to Zen.  For some reason it had been a lot higher lately.

Something seems to have changed, that's the best downstream speedtest I've had so far since being on FTTP:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 05:05:26 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Pages: 1 2 [3]