Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Which FTTP ISP?  (Read 7897 times)

bogof

• Reg Member
Re: Which FTTP ISP?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2023, 05:08:12 PM »

Not that different to my AAISP setup:

I do get faster single threads to some other test sites.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2023, 10:01:13 PM »

Single-thread is where I would expect AAISP to beat almost everyone else, being a tighter managed network.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 10:07:00 PM »

Only caveat to AAISP is that it'll be on the Openreach OLT system so the congestion is not entirely under AAISP control - thinking about the access layer being a shared medium. You are contending with all other OR based customers ultimately.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2023, 09:58:15 AM »

Single-thread is where I would expect AAISP to beat almost everyone else, being a tighter managed network.

AAISP manage a fraction of the network. Believe they've exactly 2 locations where they take feeds from their suppliers and everything else to get the data from you to those two locations is managed by someone else.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2023, 10:10:10 AM »

20th today - reading thread above looks like its install day :)

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2023, 04:25:21 PM »

It was indeed.

FTTP connected with only one minor hiccup.  I couldn't connect until the OR (actually M J Quinn) Engineer had signed off the job, which he seemed surprised about.

All good here.  I went for an 80/20 FTTP connection and the speedtest results are certainly no worse than my FTTC connection (in spite of the lingering presence of Zen wholesale connection)

Just been tracking the ping results on TBB and f8lure.mouselike.org and they are marginally quicker but perhaps a tad noisier.

I may link a couple of before and after results later, if there looks to be anything out of the ordinary for you guys to comment on.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2023, 06:11:38 PM »

AAISP manage a fraction of the network. Believe they've exactly 2 locations where they take feeds from their suppliers and everything else to get the data from you to those two locations is managed by someone else.

So they have zero control over contention before their PoP?

I'm honestly considering them once CityFibre reaches here to replace the Three 5G, for more consistent performance with decent latency.  You think that would be better or worse than OR?  Although in reality, I kinda doubt were going to see major contention issues on either network.

It was indeed.

FTTP connected with only one minor hiccup.  I couldn't connect until the OR (actually M J Quinn) Engineer had signed off the job, which he seemed surprised about.

All good here.  I went for an 80/20 FTTP connection and the speedtest results are certainly no worse than my FTTC connection (in spite of the lingering presence of Zen wholesale connection)

Just been tracking the ping results on TBB and f8lure.mouselike.org and they are marginally quicker but perhaps a tad noisier.

I may link a couple of before and after results later, if there looks to be anything out of the ordinary for you guys to comment on.

That could be interesting as I don't think we've seen that combination of speed tier and backhaul before.  Pretty disconcerting if Zen backhual still isn't perfect on a slower tier.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2023, 09:55:49 PM »

I think some folks around here would claim that the attraction of AA as a provider who will help you when you have a copper fault becomes less compelling as fibre intrinsically brings with it less issues such as crosstalk etc.

However there is much more to it than that; the network is relatively small as there are a small number of customers. I’ve never once had any congestion issues. However, can’t say I ever experienced them with Sky with all the years I had a connection with them.

Of all the OR based providers though I’d go AA

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2023, 11:47:09 PM »

Yeah but the costs add up, as I recall Zen was £10/month more than Talk Talk, and AAISP are £25/month more than Zen - for a comparable service to what I have!  That's as much as I pay for a 5G failover service from Three and even there I could bring the price down if I weren't on a monthly contract.

AAISP also charge a lot for a fresh install on OR despite being a 12 month contract.  They're much better value on CityFibre though than OR, especially given its a monthly contract with 1/10 the installation fee (for now).

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2023, 08:25:46 AM »

Oh absolutetly - it isn't cheap!

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2023, 02:53:08 PM »

So they have zero control over contention before their PoP?

Basically. They can ensure their NNI to the network provider isn't contended but beyond that they have to raise support tickets to the provider. Their direct involvement in their customers' broadband connections is the bit in between where their wholesale providers deliver the data to them in the general London area and the wider Internet. They take L2TP sessions carrying PPPoE from their providers aggregating their customers nationwide, terminate the PPPoE, then route the IP inside it to the wider Internet.

They can of course raise support tickets and make demands of their wholesale providers with a threat to withdraw their customer but they've zero direct control and that's pretty standard for ISPs.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2023, 02:59:17 PM »

I'm honestly considering them once CityFibre reaches here to replace the Three 5G, for more consistent performance with decent latency.  You think that would be better or worse than OR?  Although in reality, I kinda doubt were going to see major contention issues on either network.

You're not comparing like for like there. A&A rely on Openreach between customer and OLT then BT Wholesale between OLT and themselves. CityFibre handle it all on that side of things.

I can't see us seeing contention on either network to be honest. CityFibre seem to have some idea what they're doing, BT Wholesale have learned some bitter lessons from the past. They had some horrendous contention issues way back when due to not upgrading routers in a timely fashion. I won't go too much more into it and if you believe a major figure in BT it never happened but they were lackadaisical about upgrading some kit and it bit them hard when they ran out of ports and backplane capacity.

Lessons seem to have been learned. I don't think it'll make a difference either way beyond that Openreach's offerings suck on upstream to try and protect their DIA revenue.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2023, 06:42:46 PM »

Yeah I get there is a huge difference, which ironically is likely to make CityFibre cheaper and easier to deal with.  They shouldn't suffer the same issues where when a problem occurs OR can blame BTW and BTW can blame the ISP.  Starting from scratch I'd imagine the whole network can be more efficient due to not having to deal with legacy cruft, although probably has less redundancy in the ISPs PoP?

I still wish we had less reliance on all ISPs terminating in London, so that gaming between people within the country could route more directly - but then the latency now were going to fibre and games all moving to being server-based anyway, makes it kinda redundant anyway.  Its just eye opening when you've been on a local network (Digital Region) where peer to peer traffic to another person on the same network was almost LAN latency.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 06:45:38 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2023, 11:06:57 PM »

We're a pretty small country and some ISPs insist on using PPPoE.

My main ISP do not: I'm fully routed from the exchange onwards and would see very low latency to someone connected to the same OLT. This is uncommon: even Sky and TalkTalk are more likely to have a switch in the exchange to connect to Openreach and a router at the end of a chain of many exchanges.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2023, 11:10:22 PM »

It was indeed.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the functional performance of the line, however it is doing something slightly interesting on the TBB BQM graph in that the minimum latency has a wave profile.

The f8lure.mouselike.org chart isn't showing the same pattern as far as I can tell, but the graphs are smaller (see attachment)

Ignore the red bands,  I was doing a bit of redecorating around the ONT!

Any thoughts?
Pages: 1 [2] 3