Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Graphics cards and Windows 11  (Read 10551 times)

Jaggies

Graphics cards and Windows 11
« on: January 14, 2023, 12:11:47 AM »

Hi all.
I'm having issues with the on-board graphics on my Windows 11 PC, probably because it is only using 2GB of my 16GB RAM. I don't know if this is configurable. AMD Radeon Vega 3 is what GPU-Z reports.
Video is stuttery (is that a word?) and also shows tearing on faster sequences.
I want to install a graphics card rather than rely on the on-board graphics, but the usual retail sites don't show if such a card is Windows 11 compliant, and that's a must here.
I'm looking for recommendations for PCI-e graphics cards that are known to work with Windows 11, and have HDMI output. I don't want to spend more than £150-£200 if possible. I don't need a high-end device as I'm not using the PC for gaming; I just need better basic video output.
Any ideas gratefully received.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Graphics cards and Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 01:58:41 AM »

I got an NVIDIA GTX 1650 to solve that very problem on Linux, I probably wouldn't go older than that if you want good video decoding support.  Although I honestly would expect the Vega 3 to be fine, its strange its having issues.

I don't know about the AMD cards to judge if something is just as capable in that bracket, I don't trust AMD drivers as they may be the cause of the problem in the first place.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 11:22:40 AM »

You don't say what sort of video you're having problems with.
I don't do much video on my W11 PCs apart from playback of domestic recordings, though one of them has a Hauppauge TV tuner in it and that works fine. No 4K stuff though ....
All my W11 video cards are either onboard or actually rather old. The system I'm typing this on has two monitors, both 1920*1080, and it's an Nvidia GeForce 8600GT card. It's the system with TV.
Those 8600GT cards actually come with a variety of connectors including HDMI and I have several that I move between PCs to suit the monitor mix. I think this one is actually using two DVI connections, but access to the back of the PC is not easy!

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 11:27:50 AM »

I don't trust AMD drivers as they may be the cause of the problem in the first place.
My thinking too, my video cards are some years older than the one giving you problems.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 02:02:09 PM »

My thinking too, my video cards are some years older than the one giving you problems.

I was using Intel iGPU before this, with people saying their Linux support is great, but still had to resort to NVIDIA which most people despise their closed-source drivers but its the only driver I can prevent (or reduce so I do not notice it) tearing.

Not experienced that problem on Windows mind you, but then I hardly ever watch video on Windows these days.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jaggies

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 12:31:41 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.
The video I watch is mainly 720P or 1080P streaming from various sources. iPlayer and others are mostly OK, so it isn't a huge problem, just something that catches my eye from time to time.
The PC is about a year old, and is an AMD Athlon 3000G with Radeon Vega Graphics. I had to resort to the internal graphics when upgrading to Windows 11 as my old graphics card didn't meet the required criteria.
Still keen to hear from any users of Windows 11 what graphics cards they use, please.
Alternatively, can the internal graphics be tweaked to use more memory? I haven't found a setting/option that allows this, so would be interested in any advice on that score.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 09:46:39 AM »

I had to resort to the internal graphics when upgrading to Windows 11 as my old graphics card didn't meet the required criteria.
What graphics card is it then, and in what way did it not "meet the required criteria"?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 09:50:45 AM »

What graphics card is it then, and in what way did it not "meet the required criteria"?

I believe Windows 11 needs a GPU supporting UEFI.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 10:20:58 AM »

As you don't do any gaming just basic upgrade any of these will give you better performance...
And some are fanless.
https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtseries/

So shop around for best prices.

I would recommend this one https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/msi-nvidia-geforce-gt-1030-silent-low-profile-2gb-ddr4-graphics-card/gt10302ghd4lpoc.html can run 2 4K monitors...  :)

2 day free delivery! https://www.cclonline.com/gt-1030-2ghd4-lp-oc-msi-geforce-gt-1030-oc-2gb-graphics-card/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:38:53 AM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 08:17:11 PM »

I believe Windows 11 needs a GPU supporting UEFI.
Really, mine doesn't as far as I know (Nvidia Geforce 8600GT). I'd like to hear from the person with the problem what really prevented his existing card working.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 09:38:06 PM »

Alternatively, can the internal graphics be tweaked to use more memory? I haven't found a setting/option that allows this, so would be interested in any advice on that score.

These settings are usually found in the BIOS.

However, I'm surprised you're having issues just playing ordinary videos - may be worth updating drivers etc.. to check something else isn't the issue.

Jaggies

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 01:13:12 AM »

Thanks again for the suggestions.
@HPsauce 'twas an ancient card and failed the Windows 11 hardware test.
@gt94sss2 Drivers are up to date. I'll check the BIOS next time I power on.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 10:16:29 AM »

Thanks again for the suggestions.
@gt94sss2 Drivers are up to date. I'll check the BIOS next time I power on.

Are these manufacturer drivers or the AMD Adrenalin drivers direct from their own website?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 06:18:42 PM »

See if you can get a GT 1030 from anywhere, its a n ideal iGPU replacement, if you dont need high end gaming.  The last card made by Nvidia for that price point.

There is two variants, ideally you want the one with integrated GDDR memory.

Also on iGPU's you can usually buff up the memory they allowed to use in the bios, so try that first to see if it helps with your problems.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 07:49:51 PM »

Thanks. I'd be intrigued to know what it was, if you still have it or can remember. Was it running under Windows 10 or an earlier version?
I've got loads of old hardware that supposedly fails Windows 11 "checks" but runs fine. Some needed technical intervention, sometimes a different driver, but often it just worked anyway.
Of all my various systems I've only got one that I haven't upgraded from W10 to W11, that's largely because I don't need to as it's a very "static" standalone system, mostly used only for what historical data is stored on it.
Pages: [1] 2

anything