Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zen's GEA Network & Abnormal Buffer Bloat  (Read 2142 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Zen's GEA Network & Abnormal Buffer Bloat
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 10:25:25 PM »

Sounds like we agree, sums up what I replied to him on TBB.

"Bufferbloat is not necessarily bad, probably easier to manage via shaping, than if an isp has tiny buffers and chooses to drop packets instead."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 10:43:28 PM by Chrysalis »

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 11:49:45 PM »

UPDATE

I have been in contact with support and after explaining a few times what the issue was Excessive buffer bloat whilst downloading , They set up monitoring of the latency but their graph didn't really show the detail needed , so i sent them snapshots of my tbqm and f8lure graphs and they agreed this was not normal,

so to rule out my equipment, they asked if i would mind if they sent me a fritzbox to rule this out , i set up the new router and tested to see if it had resolved the issue, which It had, so out of curiosity i swapped back to my old set up, and the problem did not re-occur, to the cause ???? maybe some kind of glitch with the DSLAM /line card or the modem that cleared as a result of connecting to a different modem ?

And the old hardware had had several re synchs following the network migration in April ,although it had increased since then , as a result i lost the full synch and 5db snr i obtained following a re-synch following a brief (under 30sec) power outage, But buffer bloat back to normal ,infact a slight improvement on upstream buffer bloat when several FTP threads are active

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 01:14:53 AM »

Very strange.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 05:40:57 AM »

I wonder, could the old modem have a problem that will only show after its been powered up for a certain period of time?  I know capacitors can change depending on if they are warm/cold, its usually in favour of being warm I think but could always be the other way around?

I'd always tend to side on swapping out the PSU if a modem is behaving oddly.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 02:04:59 PM »

Well, if i see the  same or  other issues again, i have the PSU from the ECI modem i haven't used  since replacing it with the HG612, So will try  that 1st, Maybe also try a direct connection to PC to isolate  the billion router
Pages: 1 [2]