Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help to set up my home network . Thank you  (Read 3166 times)

oldbulldog

• Just arrived
Re: Help to set up my home network . Thank you
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2023, 10:05:11 PM »

You can run DSL cable through ethernet, it would only take two cables to do so, though you used to be able to plug rj11 plugs into rj45 sockets and at the other end use another rj11 to rj11 cable to connect the BT router downstairs.

Does the rj11 plug fit the cat6 socket?

Thank you for your reply.

oldbulldog

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2023, 11:33:59 PM »

Thank you so much for all the very thoughtful suggestions and advice.

English is not my first language, which is why I made many mistakes while I was typing.

The reasons for not putting the BT router next to the Master Socket are,

1 The Master Socket is in my dressing room, it is more like the closest when I close the door. I do not have any signal in my Kitchen.

2, I would like to cable my TV box to the internet which could not do via WIFI. It will be easy to contact them. When my Router is next to my Tv.

3, I have a security system for my house. All data from the cameras come to a hard disc which has to contact the internet via cable. When it contacted. I can check all cameras on my phone.

I was worrying have a very weak signal when I have only the router. BT also has the Round booster which seems to work OK for my house. 

oldbulldog

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2023, 11:34:44 PM »

Hi

I would recommend watching some of the videos from "My Mate Vince" on youtube - this link is his playlist of Telecoms and Networking videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLexbWs0Wp_H6LvKLZ6n5fyUknvlMag-Su

This one describes how to install an extension suitable for use with ADSL/VDSL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGDAAcpqm9Y

If I understand your posts correctly, you already have a "cheap cable" running between the master socket and the lounge?  If so, I would test that first (compare the sync speeds shown in your router) to see if it is good enough - you may get away with not needing to run a new CAT6 cable.  You just need to make sure it is connected correctly (i.e. to the A+B terminals in the detachable faceplate of your master socket). 

Hopefully even your cheap cable consists of "twisted pairs", and you need to use two wires from the same pair to connect to A+B (it doesn't matter which way round).

This is very useful. Thank you.

oldbulldog

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2023, 11:37:46 PM »

I've never (as a retired IT manager responsible for both IT and phone systems) understood the fixation for Cat6 in a domestic setting, unless you've got a mega-mansion and some serious IT systems. Cat6 will run 10Gbps LAN over distances way beyond any house, or mansion for that matter!
And for incoming broadband on a phone line it's a waste of money, your phone cable is just a simple twisted pair as noted above.

The key point for best broadband is to keep the line as short and as "clean" as possible, hence my basic suggestion - put the router at the master socket.
Nothing that has been said so far gives a reason (other than maybe cosmetic or personal preference?) why you can't and shouldn't do that.
Putting the router on the end of an extension, however good (and Cat6 is no better than old-school phone solid core cable here) WILL make the line longer and so WILL make it slower; hopefully not much if you're careful.

And how fast is your broadband link, the LAN connection from your router to switch only needs to support that. Even, as I noted earlier, 4-core phone cable (correctly connected in pairs) will run at 100mbps over domestic distances. And definitely does in my house.
In fact if you look at quite a lot of older routers (e.g. Netgear) you will find that the standard ethernet cable (often yellow!) that came with them was only 4-core. That is twisted slightly differently to phone cable so works fine up to 100 metres.

I am thinking the better ( expensive) cable the better result.   Now, it sounds more like I am driving a Rolls-Royce for a delivery job.   Thank you for the advice.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2023, 09:37:46 AM »

Well, none have presented you with the results of a study showing their solution is better. Instead, they offered you with advice, as it's a forum. But, be also mindful that their advice may be out of date. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 09:49:09 AM »

Well, none have presented you with the results of a study showing their solution is better. Instead, they offered you with advice, as it's a forum. But, be also mindful that their advice may be out of date. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide.

What an odd response to comments by some highly qualified IT professionals
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 11:08:44 AM »

I am thinking the better ( expensive) cable the better result.   Now, it sounds more like I am driving a Rolls-Royce for a delivery job.   Thank you for the advice.
Thanks. I like that comment, it's very astute and amusing.  ;D

Though equally when you're having infrastructure (cabling etc.) installed it's often the manpower that is the big cost, so better quality equipment can add a degree of "future-proofing" at minimal extra cost.

Obviously none of us know your premises and exact constraints, but I'm definitely not alone in thinking that just using the Wi-Fi from your router is probably far from ideal.
With wiring around your property that's an ideal opportunity to use it to install one or more Wi-Fi access points and get really good coverage. So much better and cheaper than any type of Wi-Fi only repeater (including the BT discs).

It so happens that my own house has a master socket downstairs just inside the front door with the router next to it on a small shelf; that provides decent Wi-Fi coverage for part of the house. I have a WiFi access point at the rear of the house near a patio door which completes indoor coverage and also provides useful signal out onto the patio.
And while I do use some LAN cabling (including some over unobtrusive 4-core phone cable) the link to my access point is actually via "Homeplug" (LAN over mains) as that happens to be a more practical solution for me. I have two separate consumer units due to extension work but the "Homeplug" components are on the same ring main.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 11:13:14 AM by HPsauce »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 11:28:08 AM »

Yet I fail to see any contribution from yourself? Do you have a better idea?
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 01:53:08 PM »

Responding only because thread has been flagged.  I must admit I thought "Where did that come from?"  when I first saw it and it doesn't add anything of value to the thread.  I can't see anything wrong with any of the replies.  I'm quite sure that there are sufficient knowledgeable people on here that would point out incorrect advice.   But yes this is a forum and its members offer the best solution based upon the info supplied by the OP and its up to them whether they decide to undertake that advice.  The alternative is paying a professional to do the work for you.   Even so the caveat is still there... wiring and layout can sometimes be a black art what works best in one situation may not always see gains on another.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2023, 02:58:32 AM »

2, I would like to cable my TV box to the internet which could not do via WIFI. It will be easy to contact them. When my Router is next to my Tv.

But if you're talking about running good quality wire to that point to plug in the router, it might as well be ethernet plugged into a LAN port of the router which remains located in the best location for broadband speed/quality.  If you need more than one port, add a cheap switch.

Obviously having the WiFi as its own box adds a fair bit of cost, but it also adds a lot of flexibility as you can place it more optimal (the ceiling is often a good spot to cover more than one floor and avoid obstructions from furniture) without worrying about impact on the quality of the phone line signal, plus you can upgrade it at will without having to replace your entire router.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]