Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Taken the plunge...  (Read 4829 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Taken the plunge...
« on: December 23, 2022, 04:40:05 PM »

It appears I am in for quite a wait for FTTP here, so I've decided to at least take the first step and port my landline number to VoIP.

Personally, if it were just up to me I'd be happy to kill it and just have 2 x AAISP lines, however as our number is a nice easy one and my wife uses it a long to ring her mum - there is a desire to keep the number.

The huge upshot of this for me from a technology perspective is that I now have to buy a VoIP setup (I love telephony technology and making it work but ironically don't make many phone calls personally). So coming today is a Gigaset base + 2 x phones so I can get that going. We support VoIP at work - so this only helps me from an understanding as I'll be using the same platform as we do there too. Once my number has successfully ported (January) then I'll be looking to move my 2nd line (as it'll be ceased) and having bonded AA lines...

I've ported my number to A&A so it seems I have many choices in what to do. In the meantime I already have a sipgate account and a number on that, so I can use that to experiment with before porting my actual number in.

Anyone else done anything similar?
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: Taken the plunge...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 09:14:31 PM »

I have a very similar setup, although no BB lines to A&A. Two VoIP numbers from them (one ex land line and one for my PABX) and a Sipgate number all on a Gigaset SL450A. The PABX is fed from two VoIP ports on my router. One slightly disconcerting feature is that the Gigaset will accept multiple incoming calls, so your second handset can start ringing while on a call.  ??? Setup is fairly straightforward, I think there is a guide on their (A&A) website.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 12:55:53 PM by vic0239 »
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 05:22:01 PM »

dee.jay, did you go for AAISP Gigaset hardware options?  About to take the plunge with FTTP and am slightly reluctant to go for the AA hardware, as neither the handset nor the base station appear to be current Gigaset models.

I would be very interested in your experience though.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 06:30:07 PM »

If I were to buy again, I'd probably avoid Gigaset handsets personally.  Even replacing the batteries with Eneloops my mum has been having issues trying to call the council repairs as the batteries die before she gets through.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 10:23:33 PM »

Haaaaaaaa, I bought a Gigaset N510 IP Pro and 2 x handsets.

I have Zoiper on my iphone though.

Getting them working with sipgate took me minutes... I bought another VoIP number through AAISP and I'm about to try setting up FreePBX now to do things that way.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 06:48:02 AM »

I just don't understand how they managed to mess up the charging so badly.  I do need to figure out what the best Android app is so she can make outgoing calls that way.  Its frustrating so many of them want you to register to use them at all when I only need basic functionality.

Really annoying they removed native SIP support from Android.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 08:11:39 AM »

I just don't understand how they managed to mess up the charging so badly.
Most of my handsets are SL450H models which have X445 flat batteries which, in my experience, have no issues with charging. However, I have a C430HX in the garage which wouldn't keep a charge and like you I tried various replacements including Eneloop with no luck. I eventually tried Duracell AAAs which (touching wood) have been operating flawlessly.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2022, 11:18:36 AM »

The flat battery models seem extremely expensive, any idea if the C530H is any better?  It still looks to be AAA but they may have the improved the charging circuit.  In general NiMH should handle hardly ever being off charge better than LiIon/Po, its why its so strange they managed to mess that up.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2022, 03:22:19 PM »

The batteries in my Panasonic cordless phones are at least a decade old and are still going strong, so good NiMH batteries and charging is very possible. A relative has some newer BT cordless phones and the AAA NiMH batteries in those don't seem to last more than a couple of years.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2022, 04:12:21 PM »

Yeah I have a Panasonic and tbh that handset would be fine, except I can only charge it using its own base station which means emitting another pointless DECT signal.   Plus I like being able to import/export the contacts via the N300 IP UI.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2022, 09:01:03 PM »

The flat battery models seem extremely expensive, any idea if the C530H is any better?
Sorry, no experience of that model.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 12:13:27 PM »

So simply connecting the N510 base to AA is a doddle and that seems to work fine.

3 days spent trying all sorts of different settings, when all along it was because I'd pre-emptively installed siproxd and that was making a right mess of every other setting I was trying... frustrating but all my own fault :D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 09:33:39 PM by dee.jay »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 10:37:02 AM »

So I ended up with one-way audio again when using FreePBX so have abandoned that for now and simply registered the N510 with AAISP.

My phone number ported to AAISP VoIP yesterday, and works perfectly, I am quite pleased. Sky internet ceased, it was a good run but time to change up our solution for internet connectivity here. Placed an order for FTTC x 2 with AAISP last night also.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 03:27:10 PM »

Be interesting to see if there is any detrimental impact to VoIP from bonded VDSL, given the lines may have different latencies.

andrew-AAISP

• ISP Rep
    • aa.net.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 08:56:29 AM »

Hello!

We stopped selling the Gigaset DECT handsets as the entry level models were discontinued last year. The Yealink are similar and have a couple of advantages over the Gigaset (easier to transfer and support more SIP accounts & handsets per base station. (At home, I have on of each - a Gigaset for home use and a Yealink for work)
A&A
Pages: [1] 2

anything