Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: FTTP Competition - Does it make sense?  (Read 3331 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: FTTP Competition - Does it make sense?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2022, 03:39:20 PM »

Yeah FTTC was huge for me, from 6/0.8 ADSL which was dodgy in stability to reasonably reliable 65-80/20.

I would still consider 100mbps+ wireless a clear upgrade over sub 10mbit ADSL though.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2022, 03:49:25 PM »

Wireless absolutely has its place.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2022, 04:26:11 PM »

Not really sure why there's all this hate for FTTC. Deploying one fibre to a cabinet and having the last "1/2 mile" to everyones house with copper has served us really well for the past 10-12 years. Technology has moved on, and whilst yes, fibre has been around a while, deploying full fibre is *massive*.

Just a shame some people just cannot really appreciate the scale of what is actually being achieved now.

I still went from 16Mbps on ADSL2+ to 80 on VDSL. That's a pretty substantial jump. OK, it's reduced over the years thanks to crosstalk and all the other associated problems, but I'll bloody take it over 16Mbps.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2022, 11:06:56 PM »

We would have been much better off if we'd gone FTTP from the beginning rather than going for the pointless FTTC. It was clear even in 2012 that 80Mbps was not going to last us long. A pointless stop gap.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2022, 11:07:31 PM »

Wireless absolutely has its place.

I don't agree. FTTP is essential and everyone should be entitled to it.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2022, 11:40:20 PM »

We would have been much better off if we'd gone FTTP from the beginning rather than going for the pointless FTTC. It was clear even in 2012 that 80Mbps was not going to last us long. A pointless stop gap.

Well that’s OR for you - can’t blame them for trying to get all they could from copper. They were stuck with it.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2022, 12:12:50 AM »

I'll let the guys with 500 and 1000 upload on cable know. The issue as with most other entitlements is who pays for it.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2022, 12:17:48 AM »

It just seems a waste of resources and money when other regions are desperate for FTTP.

Most of the build is by private companies. Their money and resources to spend as they see fit. The desperation of some areas isn't really their problem. They aren't building to cover areas according to need but to make money.

If they only covered the areas no-one else wants to they'd go bankrupt really quickly.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2022, 09:09:26 AM »

... FTTP is essential and everyone should be entitled to it.

Essential for what? My VDSL connection allows me to do lots of things my ADSL connection wouldn't, such as multiple streaming connections and working from home, but I wouldn't class either of those things as essential. Very nice to have certainly, but essential they are not. I am probably considered somewhat 'old school' in this way of thinking but I feel there are lots of things we have now that people say are 'essential' and yet we used to manage perfectly well without them.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2022, 11:05:14 AM »

FTTC will also have made FTTP an easier sell to shareholders, its easier to sell it when a big chunk of the copper has already been replaced.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2022, 11:46:23 AM »

FTTC did one really important thing: the aggregation nodes built to serve cabinets took fibre closer to homes.

It wasn't a complete waste of time and money with that in mind. Now G.fast...

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2022, 01:32:12 PM »

That's great in principle, but who pays for it?

Absolutely could be done (and was going to be done) when it was nationalised.  As you don't have share holders breathing down your neck, all profit can (though isn't always thanks to dodgy governments) be invested into unprofitable areas to provide the service to all - for the greater good.  Just how Royal Mail used to pay for loss-making Post Offices to remain open.

But when its all private business, if its not profitable, its not going to happen.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 01:35:31 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2022, 04:34:27 PM »

G.Fast was the next level of pointless of course, why all is forgiven when it was clear they were trying to sweat copper for even longer, is beyond me. This was just the natural evolution of FTTC.

They went for FTTC and conned the Government into it.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2022, 04:35:51 PM »

Essential for what? My VDSL connection allows me to do lots of things my ADSL connection wouldn't, such as multiple streaming connections and working from home, but I wouldn't class either of those things as essential. Very nice to have certainly, but essential they are not. I am probably considered somewhat 'old school' in this way of thinking but I feel there are lots of things we have now that people say are 'essential' and yet we used to manage perfectly well without them.

Clearly more reliable, future proof. Your VDSL connection won't be fast enough for much longer, that much is clear. And was clear a decade ago.

FTTC is pee poor, unreliable, crosstalk, gets impacted by Christmas lights etc.

I've had FTTP for months, it's genuinely a game changer. We need it everywhere.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2022, 04:52:56 PM »

Clearly more reliable, future proof. Your VDSL connection won't be fast enough for much longer, that much is clear. And was clear a decade ago.

FTTC is pee poor, unreliable, crosstalk, gets impacted by Christmas lights etc.

I've had FTTP for months, it's genuinely a game changer. We need it everywhere.

I agree that FTTP should be more reliable, but saying that I've had next to no issues with my FTTC connection in the seven or so years that I've had it. As for it not being fast enough for much longer - not fast enough for what might I ask?
And it's all somewhat academic for me anyway as where I live FTTP isn't even at the planning stage so I fully expect my FTTC connection to be running for some years yet.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything