Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Have I got FTTP? (photo)  (Read 1451 times)

starblood

• Just arrived
Have I got FTTP? (photo)
« on: December 20, 2022, 07:19:18 PM »

Could any of you folks who are in the know have a look at the photo and see if I have Fibre To The Property? I don't have fibre at the moment but was wondering if Open Reach has prepared my property in anticipation (as the overhead cable was recently renewed as part of neighbourhood upgrades).

This is a picture of the junction box at the apex of my house as the telegraph cable reaches it overhead.

Black Cable (right) comes from the telegraph pole. White cable (left) goes into the house

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Have I got FTTP? (photo)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 07:27:58 PM »

Sorry. Those are copper wires not fibre optics
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 07:35:10 PM »

PM me your post-code and I'll have a look for you tomorrow.

Others will likely provide links to on-line checkers, if you prefer that method.  :)

starblood

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 07:53:40 PM »

Sorry. Those are copper wires not fibre optics

Interesting! Thanks for the quick reply.

A brief follow-up question then; I know the telegraph pole is fibre ready, so if I was to get it in the future, would they come out and replace the existing overhead cable with fibre optic?

I would rather any cable enter my property through the attic rather than be fed down the front of the house. So ideally any junctions (CSP?) would be where the existing junction box currently sits, at the apex of the house.

starblood

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 10:17:53 PM »

PM me your post-code and I'll have a look for you tomorrow.

Others will likely provide links to on-line checkers, if you prefer that method.  :)

It's OK - I'm not looking to get fibre just yet, I do appreciate the offer though.

It's just I'm trying to take advantage of a chase I currently have in my plaster for electrical wiring, and was trying to future-proof for fibre by running that cable in with the electrics too. I've been trying to research what type to use; I was going to get the EZ Bend stuff you can purchase on Ebay, but I read a blog by someone who did the same recently, only to say the Engineer that turned up didn't use that any more.

Might just run a drawstring and be done with it  :giggle:

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 10:51:07 PM »

@starblood, Openreach will not place a CSP high up on a roof apex, they tend to put them a few feet off the ground, they can't use the fibre splicing equipment at the top of a ladder.

starblood

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 11:12:08 PM »

@starblood, Openreach will not place a CSP high up on a roof apex, they tend to put them a few feet off the ground, they can't use the fibre splicing equipment at the top of a ladder.

Ah OK - that makes sense. What about putting the CSP in the attic? It's boarded and lit? Plenty of headroom in there too, it's not a crawlspace?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 11:50:48 PM »

@starblood welcome to Kitz Forums.

Oh if only Openreach would install it up there, my FTTP connection comes across from the telegraph pole opposite at roof height, runs down the outside wall through the house number to the Openreach grey panel three feet off the ground, and then runs round the bay window and in next to the old virgin connection.

It's neat, it's tidy, but the only other place the engineer offered to install on the day was in the first floor bedroom.  :no:

starblood

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 01:15:10 AM »

@starblood welcome to Kitz Forums.

Oh if only Openreach would install it up there, my FTTP connection comes across from the telegraph pole opposite at roof height, runs down the outside wall through the house number to the Openreach grey panel three feet off the ground, and then runs round the bay window and in next to the old virgin connection.

It's neat, it's tidy, but the only other place the engineer offered to install on the day was in the first floor bedroom.  :no:

Oh dear - I don't want that. I think I'd send the engineer away and go without if he/she didn't come up with a route for the cable that I was happy with.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 11:40:22 AM »

The standard install requires an external CSP to be placed at ground level.

For an overhead feed where you want the cable entering the attic that means the drop cable runs to the property, down the building to a CSP and then back up the wall to enter the attic.

Only a good/flexible engineer will be willing to do that. Openreach use subcontractors for much of their FTTP installs and they likely won't be willing to do this, instead only offering a downstairs ONT placement.
They are paid per job so are only willing to do standard installs.
Even some Openreach employed engineers won't go near your attic.

There are such things as internal CSP's that in rare installs can be put directly in the attic meaning no need to go down/up the building.

Getting this as part of standard FTTP install is next to impossible, often requiring turning away engineers until they send 1 willing to do what you ask, and only if they can source an internal CSP.

Openreach offer an advanced FTTP install that costs more and allows a longer run of fibre between CSP (ground level) and the ONT where you choose.
Few mainstream ISP's have the ability to order the advanced installs and even then they don't guarantee you can get an internal CSP in the attic.

In short, while you can hope for an internal CSP in the attic you should plan for a ground level CSP.
Getting the ONT installed in the attic should be easier but preference from Openreach would be ground level.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

starblood

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 01:00:33 PM »

The standard install requires an external CSP to be placed at ground level.

For an overhead feed where you want the cable entering the attic that means the drop cable runs to the property, down the building to a CSP and then back up the wall to enter the attic.

Only a good/flexible engineer will be willing to do that. Openreach use subcontractors for much of their FTTP installs and they likely won't be willing to do this, instead only offering a downstairs ONT placement.
They are paid per job so are only willing to do standard installs.
Even some Openreach employed engineers won't go near your attic.

There are such things as internal CSP's that in rare installs can be put directly in the attic meaning no need to go down/up the building.

Getting this as part of standard FTTP install is next to impossible, often requiring turning away engineers until they send 1 willing to do what you ask, and only if they can source an internal CSP.

Openreach offer an advanced FTTP install that costs more and allows a longer run of fibre between CSP (ground level) and the ONT where you choose.
Few mainstream ISP's have the ability to order the advanced installs and even then they don't guarantee you can get an internal CSP in the attic.

In short, while you can hope for an internal CSP in the attic you should plan for a ground level CSP.
Getting the ONT installed in the attic should be easier but preference from Openreach would be ground level.

Great reply, very informative. Thanks!

I don't want any cable running down the outside of my house, I've spent a long time and a lot of effort over the years re-routing stuff to eliminate that. It's a pet hate.

Think I'll leave it for the time being. I'm not unhappy with the speed I'm getting with my broadband as it is. And in the meantime I might take a walk around the neighbourhood and see how the fibre installation has been handled in similar styled properties.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 04:44:43 PM »

Apologies for hijacking this thread. J0hn, BlackSheep - my office is upstairs on the first floor, not in an attic, luckily. I don’t really want to have to run cables back up the building somehow from a ground floor installation. The fibre would I presume come in using the existing poles, and the existing copper goes directly from the pole straight into the upstairs office, so it’s the most direct route and easiest access for engineers.

anything